• Tweets

• Hi Dave, Yep .... Will have to do AOS tomorrow .... Are you referring to CPR 31.14 Request?
    • I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Incompetence of SSE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We signed a rental agreement for a new property in Cowpe on the 1st December 2017,

having recently had a baby and a wedding on the 29th December we decided to speak with our then current landlord,

a friend of the family,

to see if we could take our time moving our possessions.

All this was fine.

My fiance rang Utility Warehouse,

our current provider and asked them to transfer our account to the new property.

We started to move our belongings into the new property.

Most of the larger furniture was in,

with the help of friends on the morning of the 13th December we packed an overnight bag and bedding and all the necessary baby equipment.

When we got to our new house we were disgusted to find that somebody had been into the house.

On the table next to the door was a piece of paper and a plastic key.

The paper was an ‘access notice’’ from SSE, a utility company.

They had broken into the premises and fitted prepayment meters for the gas and electricity.

There was no other information except the details of debt owed on the same notice.

We tried to call SSE but the mobile signal was non-existent and we had no internet or telephone line.

We messaged our new landlord to see if he had prior knowledge of SSE coming to the house.

Our new landlord had no idea that SSE was even the supplier to the premises.

There was no mail in the house after the purchase as it was a repossession and the letter box had been screwed shut.

We were both really upset about the fact we had no details on how to use prepayment meters,

somebody had broken into the premises without any contact from them beforehand,

the mess they had left in the dining room,

the fact that to anybody,

a family was just moving into the property with a huge sign outside the front door saying LET agreed,

cards on surfaces saying welcome to your new home and boxes of belongings in every room.

We finished unloading the van we had borrowed and drove to a shop to ask them how we put money on the meter.

This they did for the electricity but to do the gas meter we needed a card.

We called SSE from the van outside as the shop assistant had suggested.

The call took 53 minutes and the SSE employee gave us a number that the shop could then use to top up.

We went back into the shop and gave the lady the number.

She said that the number is not accurate as it had too many digits.

We thanked her and tried in two other shops on the way back to the new property,

they all said the same thing,

the number has too many digits.

It was a bitterly cold night and because of the amount of money that had already been used on the emergency £5 electric they had left us with,

within a day it had used £2 with only the fridge and an extractor fan on,

we decided that we would not risk staying the night,

packed up the things that we would need for the child and drove back to our old home,

in a blizzard, only to sleep on the floor.

The next day we rang SSE from our old home as we still had telephone and internet.

They asked me who I was and apparently this was when I became a customer of SSE.

The call took 1 hour 7 min.

The SSE employee went to a scripted call and told us about the tariff and the contract that we had signed onto,

the employee was very apologetic,

her manager had told her to do so.

ur understanding was we had been forced into a contract with SSE.

We arranged a call back.

The call back took 31 minutes and we got cut off on a transfer.

We called them and the call was 49 minutes,

this last call was to arrange removal of the prepayment meters.

In this time we had arranged that it would take SSE until the 15th January 2018 to remove the pre payment meters.

We asked to be transferred to a complaint handler as we had a complaint.

A manager picked up the phone, we asked for a complaint handler.

The next day we had a missed call from the complaint handler because we were on the phone asking Utility Warehouse if these problems would affect the change over.

It was a short message, left no details and he said he would call the next day.

This is the last we heard from SSE for the year.

My fiance was finding that the stress was now affecting her and we then had to rely on the frozen milk that she had been determined to donate to the East Lancashire hospitals.

We tried to concentrate on the house move, wedding and baby and not SSE.

On the 28th of December 2017 our gas transferred to Utility Warehouse and on the 2nd January 2018 our electric transferred to Utility Warehouse.

They were very supportive and helpful.

Following the wedding in Eire and the 12th night celebration in Edgeworth,

I went back to work,

my now wife was still on maternity.

We were still moving bits and pieces and making sure the house we were leaving was empty, clean and tidy.

I had printed the forms for the Financial Ombudsman as I had an inclining that SSE were not a very good company.

On the 15th January 2018 an engineer knocked on the door,

my wife was busy with the baby and when she got to the door the engineer had left a card.

She rang SSE to rearrange a time, the call was 20 minutes.

Unbelievably they said an an engineer can call back that afternoon,

not a month later,

it was not an SSE engineer but an employee from the National Grid.

They told my that the SSE electric engineer would arrive the same morning.

My wife felt positive.

The gas engineer arrived in the afternoon,

he was unable to change the meter as he had the incorrect information,

he was there to replace a credit meter.

My wife rang SSE again and was told that we were no longer customers of SSE and the electricity meter exchange had been cancelled and they would not be rearranging the gas exchange either, it was down to Utility Warehouse to sort things out. The call took over an hour.

SSE said they would send a cheque for the £20 debt repayments that we had been making each week to the outstanding debt that did not belong to us, but they were now unable to stop our repayments because we were no longer customers of SSE.

My wife asked about our complaint only to be told it had been cancelled on the 29th December, when she queried why she was told that we had arranged the meter replacement for this date.

The day we were being married in Ireland.

We finally got an email contact for a complaint handler and a reference number but my wife cannot speak to this company as she is not the customer.

I am not and will never be a customer of SSE.

We have felt violated by SSE and they do not seem to understand how despicable they are as a company.

My wife tells me that the people on the end of the phone are not to blame for this situation

but I see everyday how we have suffered because of this awful company.

Only this morning I could not have a shower because we had no credit on the meter.

SSE continue to send mail to this address for the customer who the debt belongs to,

we have been receiving at least 3 letters each week, we keep returning to sender.

If possible can somebody advise us as to how we can get SSE to acknowledge their shortcomings on customer service and stop their corporate abuse.

If Utility Warehouse (UW) took over the supply before SSE changed the meters then take it up with UW. Their industry operations people will talk to SSE and get this resolved.

If the transfer to UW failed, then I would still take it up with UW, as they should have noted the supply problem at the address and warned you.

Remember you are a customer of whichever energy company you have selected as your suppliers and not the energy company left behind by previous occupiers of the house. Yes SSE have taken actions regarding the supply at the address, but did they have any info on the changing ownership/occupation of the house ? From SSE's point of view they were following standard processes to stop meters registered with them racking up bills for usage that might not be paid.

Unfortunately your experience happens every week to people around the country and all energy suppliers will do this. They apply to Magistrates to obtain a warrant to force entry as part of the meter replacement process. The energy companies are not advised by the people selling a house that change of ownership is taking place. Perhaps if they were then this type of situation might be avoided.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the reply unclebulgaria. Having this situation still ongoing it is of little comfort to know that these companies do this to other people on a regular basis and make no attempt to contact people living in the property. Months will have passed before we moved into the premises. SSE made us feel sick to our stomachs and added a lot of stress and inconvenience to an already difficult time. The customer service at SSE is repugnant. Surely this needs to stop happening, should we be contacting the media or our local MP. We still need to wait a few weeks before we can contact the Ombudsman.

Best regards.

Would it be possible for readers of the forum to share their experiences of similar situations. We feel that should this be happening once a week to other people, especially if the company is SSE, then this is a way to help each other. God Bless. Thanks.