didnt sign PX over too dealer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought another car last friday and traded in my old car for £100..

handed over the log book but i did not fill in the new owner details. i simply handed him the papers.

when he gave me the receipt for the deal, he did not put the px car details on the receipt either. he simply took £100 off the price of the car.

I did no notice this until i got home.

The MOT ran out on the 14th hence the need for a new car.

my biggest concern is he has sold the car onto someone else and i am the previous owner, not the trader.

am i panicking over nothing or do i need to send and email or letter explaining this too cover myself?

pers I wouldn't worry about it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dealers dont show up as keepers most of the time

otherwise when you buy a new car it will have at least one previous owner.

I doubt if a £100 MOT failure is going anywhere other than into the trade any time soon so no need to panic,

just ask them nicely to do the necessaries,

they may well have done it online themselves if they do MOT's as they will have the link to the DVLA alrady set up.

When vehicles are transferred to the trade,

the old keeper is required to notify the DVLA by sending them the relevant part of their V5C and giving the rest of the V5C to the trader.

The trader does not do anything and only sends the V5C to the DVLA with the new keeper's details when the vehicle is sold.

The process is called 'dual notification' and is ideally supposed to be done in each others presence.

As others have commented this should have been done online and a copy of the notification given to yourself to cover this very eventuality.

It is a big deal if that car is driven round getting tickets etc.

Officially proving that you were not the owner/driver is a nightmare and stories abound.

I 'scrapped' a £100 Ford Ka a couple of months ago and took it to the yard i use myself.

Because i have a relationship with them i always trust that they will post out the notice of destruction etc.

I have just recieved the first speeding ticket......

Call the dealer and ask them to confirm that they have completed taking your name off the car.

A lot of traders do not show cheap part exchanges on the invoice.

This means they can reduce the price of the car you are buying and save a little VAT.

It also means they can sell your swapper for cash without paying VAT on that as well due to the fact it has never come into their stock officially.

Cheap smokers are often sold to undesirables who drive them with no tax or insurance.

When they are stopped and the car confiscated they just repeat the process.

You need conformation in writing from the dealer just in case you get anything back,

if you read a logbook/V5c it clearly states that it is the registered owner's responsibility (i.e. YOU MUST)

and also states 'Failure to tell the DVLA may result in a fine or prosecution', you can decide for yourself if that sounds like a 'big deal' or not.

The process is called 'dual notification' and is ideally supposed to be done in each others presence.

As others have commented this should have been done online and a copy of the notification given to yourself to cover this very eventuality.

It is only the seller, not the trader, that is responsible for notifying the DVLA of the transfer, either by sending the completed V5C/3 part of their V5C or on-line.

Failure to do so can cause problems, as you have found .