Halifax ISA question - early closure

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice on a Halifax ISA we took out in September 2017 for a fixed 2 year rate.

We took it out with £15203.51 as we had the money in a do nothing account and it wasn't expected to be needed.

Circumstances have changed and we need to use the money, all of it, so we made an enquiry to close the account and Halifax have said there is a penalty of 180 days interest.

Which means (if my calculations are correct) on the 0.6 interest rate we would have to pay the bank £45 to get our money back with no interest at all.

I think this is outrageous as they have had and used the money since September - it is our fault as we (blame the wife) didn't read the small print of 180 days interest penalty when the account was opened.

Does anyone think we have any grounds to complain and not pay the penalty?

Indeed but unfortunately correct if there's no interest in the account they will just take off the balance

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I have one of the use over 5 years with the interest paid annually if you terminate after four years you lose the previous interest paid

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

You want to release £15.2K from a 2 yr fixed term ISA within 5 months of opening.

You lose the benefit of the tax free interest rate and the orig sum reverts to an easy access/term savings account paying x%pa with the loss of 120 days interest for immediate access, which you assess as a loss of £45

My point was try to get another £15.2K loan that will cost you less than £45.(