• Tweets

• they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
    • Welcome to the Forum I have moved your topic to the appropriate forum  Residential and Commercial lettings/Freehold issues Please continue to post here.   Andy
    • Please provide advice on the following situation: I rented out my property to four students for 16 months until March 2024. Initially, the property was in very good condition, but now it needs extensive renovation. This includes redoing the bathroom, replacing the kitchen, removing wallpaper, and redecorating due to significant mould growth. The tenants also left their furniture on the grass, which is owned by the local authority. As a landlord, I've met all legal requirements. It seems the damage was caused by poor ventilation—windows were always closed, and heating wasn't used. There was also a bathroom leak fixed by reapplying silicone. I tried to claim insurance, but it was denied, citing tenant behaviour as the cause by looking at the photos, which isn't covered. The deposit barely covers the repair costs, or else I'll have to pursue money claims, which I've never done before and am unsure about its legal complications or costs. Any thoughts on this?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Proving private land for DVLA - parking SORN vehicle ** CASE WITHDRAWN **

Smiley18
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am trying to prove that an area of land that I parked my SORN vehicle on is private.

DVLA charged me with using it on public land, I refuted this and took it to court.

They now say that the proof that the council / highways agency do not maintain this area is not proof that it is private land,

and have adjourned the case for me to pay the fine or find proof that it is private.

The area in question is a group of 3 parking spaces next to a group of garages.

The garages are linked on records to the houses nearby, the spaces are not.

So far I have asked the County Council,

district council and land registry along with a local housing company,

but the land is not registered...

the district council advised me that in order to park a SORN vehicle I should have written permission from the owners, but I cannot locate the owners!

The DVLA prosecutor told me that I should have made sure that it was private before I parked my car there,

but I am now not sure how I was meant to do that,

or how I get proof now that it is not public land

(which I believe means it should be maintained through public funds - which it is not!).

I do plan to ask the houses around (I have asked my neighbours who would be the obvious claimants),

but does anybody have any experience / advice on this?

Land registry.

It would seem to me if there is a group of 3 parking spaces you would not be allowed to put a sorned vehicle on it.

As there is public access to it, it has no physical boundries or restrictions of access like my private drive has ( walls, gates)

Its a kin to argue with the police that you do not need insurance to drive on tescos car park,

yes its private but public have free access so you need insurance.

Is this the sequence of events

- DVLA prosecuted you in magistrates court for having an untaxed vehicle on a public road,

your defence was that it wasn't a public road,

DVLA asked for an adjournment to enable you to provide more evidence that it wasn't a public road?

Isn't it DVLA's responsibility,

as the prosecuting authority,

to prove its case to the magistrates?

Not that you have to prove their allegation wrong?

Innocent until proved guilty and all that.

Not quite.

Prosecution... The land is not private, it has public access.

Defence its private

Prosecution it has public access

Judge steps in. Adjourned for proof of defences claim its private land.

Its a civil case so the preponderance of proof are less,

but the judge has adjourned the case

then the judge is being reasonable

and awaits proof of private land as per the defences defence.

Land registry.

It would seem to me if there is a group of 3 parking spaces you would not be allowed to put a sorned vehicle on it. As there is public access to it, it has no physical boundries or restrictions of access like my private drive has ( walls, gates)

Its a kin to argue with the police that you do not need insurance to drive on tescos car park, yes its private but public have free access so you need insurance.

I would agree if we were talking about insurance, that is required, under the Road Traffic Act 1988,

not only on public roads but on any road which has public access or any public place.

But the vehicle taxation requirements are in different legislation, the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994.

Section 29 2(B) of that says vehicles do not need to be taxed " if the vehicle is being neither used nor kept on a public road", and then in section 62 defines public road for the purposes of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 as "“public road”—

in England and Wales and Northern Ireland, means a road which is repairable at the public expense."

I still think that it is DVLA's responsibility to prove that the car was on a public road as defined in the 1994 legislation, not for OP to prove it was private.

The Disctrict Council's comment about having the permission of the owner of the private land might well be true but is completely irrelevant to a prosecution for untaxed vehicle.

Its a civil case so the preponderance of proof are less,

but the judge has adjourned the case

then the judge is being reasonable

and awaits proof of private land as per the defences defence.

Why do you think it is a civil case? Normally if you don't agree an out of court settlement with DVLA they will enforce s29 of VERA by a criminal prosecution in the magistrates court. Maybe OP can confirm what has happenend

As above, the requirement for SORN is that the vehicle is not kept or used on a public road - a road repairable at public expense.

So for the offence, the location has to be both 'a road' and 'repairable at public expense' (Eng. Wales & N.I.)

I'll just go sorn my car and Pak it at Tesco's and see how Lon it stays there.

Public access is key here.

If it is a Tesco car park and not a public road, a SORN would be valid - public access is irrelevant.

I'll just go sorn my car and Pak it at Tesco's and see how Lon it stays there.

Public access is key here.

Public access is irrelevant here, it's about tax not insurance. Which bit of VERA 1994 mentions public access?

Mind you as there seems to be public access the SORN'd vehicle does need to be insured. Is it OP?

You don't need tax to park in a Tesco car park, but unless you happen to have have a private road connecting your house to Tescos you'd get prosecuted for driving to Tesco untaxed.

And as the defence has raised that the land is private and not public,

it’s for the DVLA to prove beyond reasonable doubt the sorned vehicle was on a public road not for the op to prove the opposite in my opinion

Sorry for the delay.

The DVLA prosecutor spoke to me before we got into the magistrates court on the day of the hearing

advised me that she would be requesting an adjournment after I mentioned my defence of it not being a public road (as it is not maintained at public expense).

She has asked for proof that it is privately owned,

I am struggling to find that proof.

I believe the public access is irrelevant under this act

- had I parked in front of my garage (in a garage block, not attached to house),

it would be private land as it appears on the deeds to the house.

This area next to the garages is not on the deeds,

nor is it registered with the land registry

(but it is much more convenient than me parking in front of the garage block).

The car was not insured, and that was never mentioned, but it is now sold.

I have until the end of Feb to submit the proof to DVLA (and they drop the case),

pay the fine or it goes into magistrates again.

The garage block and the parking spaces are at the end of a cup-de-sac,

so although technically accessible to the public,

there would be no benefit to anyone apart from residents.

Is this the sequence of events

- DVLA prosecuted you in magistrates court for having an untaxed vehicle on a public road,

your defence was that it wasn't a public road,

DVLA asked for an adjournment to enable you to provide more evidence that it wasn't a public road?

Isn't it DVLA's responsibility,

as the prosecuting authority,

to prove its case to the magistrates?

Not that you have to prove their allegation wrong?

Innocent until proved guilty and all that.

I would like to think that they should have to prove that it is public

- would make my life easier,

I think the only way that I would be able to get that would be to have my day in court

- which could backfire terribly if I’m wrong!

For SORN to be valid, it doesn't matter if it is public or private land, only that it is not a public road - which has to be a road and repairable at public expense.

Which was exactly my argument,

I produced pictures from the local council website showing that the area in question was not maintained by the council (on behalf of the highways agency)

- but apparently this was not proof.

Some waffle about it being possible for unclaimed land still to be classed as publicly maintained.

I honestly don’t think she was familiar with the area in question and was doing her job to make me pay the fine,

she has the legal training not me

I argued until she walked out on me!

There is a guiding case on this and that is concerned with a person given a PCN for not having a tax disc in a vehicle in Cheam Library car park.

It was found that despite being a public place and the access road though it may even be a highway the parking spaces arent so no tax needed.

The council argued that the vehicle must have got there via public road but it was decided that was immaterial, no-one saw the vehicle before it was in the space so only that relevant and parking space not a highway.

Now, Dawood v Camden is more recent so there is an opposite argument but it appears the DVLA are not using that.

I would suggest you look up these 2 bits of case law.

As for the argument you dont have permission

-again irrelevant as that is not a criminal matter but one of TRESPASS and the DVLA seem to have admitted that they concede it isnt a road by using that point.

What you will also need is pictures of the land paying careful note to any changes in the road surface, any markings etc.

If it has different tarmac or none at all then it is easier to show that it is not maintained at the public expense.

If you go to Knatts Valley,

near Sevenoaks there are miles of roads that are private but have no ownership indicated on the Land Registry.

Buy a house in that bit of the back of beyond and look at the deeds and you will see that the roads dont belong to any named person and there is only vague references to your responsibility to maintain them with the consent of your neighbours.

It was found that despite being a public place and the access road though it may even he a highway the parking spaces arent so no tax needed. The council argued that the vehicle must have got there via public road but it was decided that was immaterial, no-one saw the vehicle before it was in the space so only that relevant and parking space not a highway.

The requirement to display a tax disc was similar to the requirement for SORN, they could only be committed if the vehicle is used or kept on a public road, not necessarily a highway.

Thank you

Yesterday the Land Charges Department of the local county council got back to me stating that ‘Our records show that the area in question, shown on the plan below, is not considered to be highway maintainable at public expense.’

I believe that this should be all the evidence I need for them to drop the case? I forwarded it to the DVLA prosecutor yesterday, so will let you know!

Thank you

Yesterday the Land Charges Department of the local county council got back to me stating that ‘Our records show that the area in question, shown on the plan below, is not considered to be highway maintainable at public expense.’

I believe that this should be all the evidence I need for them to drop the case? I forwarded it to the DVLA prosecutor yesterday, so will let you know!

You'd hope that will convince them to drop it. But if they persist in saying they need more proof that it's private land that's when I would respond saying tax is only required if the vehicle is on a road maintained at public expense (refer them to VERA s29) and the onus is on them to provide evidence that where your vehicle is parked is such a road.

Take this and your photographs along. If you cant take photos use google earth and print off the best resolution satellite and streetview piccies you can. Look up the Cheam Libray case and use it as well. (Score v LB of Sutton - the point (iii) is the important finding but take a copy of the lot). Always throw in as much as you can so you are not relying on one bit of evidence that others will try and interpret differently. The DVLA lawyer will know that good money has been wasted in this prosecutuion so they will try and get something out of it

The rest of the points in Score v Sutton are about public land for insurance purposes (ie car parks being accessible to the public) the decision make it clear there is a big difference between a road as defined by 1994 Act and a place that is accessible by the public as in the more vague terms of the 1988 RTA. The latter is defined by case law as a place where vehicles may pass between 2 points so a parking space certainly doesnt fit that definition anyway and again there is plenty of case law to support that.

You will never know whether there has been an outbreak of common sense or they knew they were trying it on in the first place and hoped you would throw the towel in and allow them to collect a few quid for the non-existent tax and have been caught out.

Theproblem with any battle with organisations like this is that there is no accountability on the part of the decision maker so regardless of how rubbish, malevolent or perverse their processing they dont even get a ticking off.