Prime Location Services - Letter out of the blue

Wayne C
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter today from a company called Prime Location Services whom I have never heard of until receiving the letter.

It has my name on it and home address and says the following

Dear Mr %5# ,

I am instructed to contact you as I believe you may be the person our client wishes to make contact with.

Our trace team have made enquiries and have advised that your details have changed to the above address.

Obviously I am a little concerned about this ,

I have no outstanding debt,

always pay all my bills on time,

have no credit nothing at all

and ain’t over drawn or indeed have any insolvency or court judgements on my credit score.

I am very concerned and confused and upset by this?.

What should I do ,

I haven’t had any debt for at least 13 years and that was paid off by myself.

Any advice please as I’m very upset by this what would anyone suggest ?.

My credit score is very high with clear score much higher than the local or national average as I always pay my bills etc etc on time.

GDR Trace and global dept recovery in sheeps clothing

totally powerless

why are you very concerned and confused and upset by this?.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Because I don’t know what to do ,

how do I know they ain’t going to send someone round asking for something I owed maybe 20 or so years ago and completely have forgotten about ?.

I honestly haven’t had any credit for 15 years last thing was a motorcycle which I paid off with bank whom I’m still with?.

Can they chase you up for debt 20 years or more maybe my ex wife got something in my name and never paid it but that was 25 years ago?.

I’m struggling to figure out what this letter could relate to I’ve been with the same person for 16 years and I’ve asked her if she can remember anything and she agrees with me that I haven’t had any debt period!!.

Hello Wayne.

I think it's unlikely you have anything to worry about. Try typing Prime's name into our Advanced Search facility or google and you'll find other people who have been contacted. Prime claim to find people, but it looks as if they often get it wrong.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

GDR Trace and global dept recovery in sheeps clothing

totally powerless

why are you very concerned and confused and upset by this?.

When you say totally powerless what do you mean with respect they can’t hassle me for something decades ago surely ?.

But I’m honestly struggling to think of anything anytime!!.

I appreciate any replies but it is very upsetting to open letters like this when you ain’t got a clue what they are about ?.

Interesting though when I registered with Clear Score it asked me 4 security questions about who I bank with etc , then the forth question said you took a mortgage out in 2014 and then gave a choice of 5 with the 5th saying “none of these “ ,

I thought that was a trick question as I didn’t apply for any mortgage I. 2014?.

Would any credit problems show up with clear score as it says you have a perfect record ?.

No judgements nothing what so ever?.

Say hypothetically Mr Slone borrowed money to buy a fridge and didn’t pay for it in 2003 would that show up as being a default or court judgement

( I’m only talking hypothetically I must add as I paid cash for my fridge ) ,

just wondering how this company gets my details when I don’t owe anyone anything and haven’t done for 20 years at least?.

I have HB

I read a few things on the site regarding this company before posting

some folk advising the word MAY is the important one ,

been reading for three hours before posting.

But it doesn’t make things any easier

how long can a company chase you for debts “unknown”

as I honestly haven had any debt for 20 years ?.

Thanks In advance .

prime past names are GDR Trace and global dept recovery

they 've been around 30+yrs

they trace people

any debt you might think its for is +6yrs old so statute barred

they find people for fleecing debt collectors

they'll scan phone directories and send letters out randomly to people with the same name as a debtor they have on file from a DCA

trying to scare someone into paying

ignore , ignore and ignore again.

a DCA or a trace agency ARE NOT BAILIFFS=no legal powers whatsoever

and you wont get people at your door

even if you did

go away or i'll call the police

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

So what happens if they send me more letters with respect to you ,

I haven’t had any letters like this before that’s why I’m so distressed by it.

What can they do?,

Mr Bloggs you once bought a VHS video off of Grattons catalogue ,

and the price was £399 in 1985 you now owe us £1700 ,

again I’m talking imaginary scenarios but can they ask me to pay for something like that?.

Even though I cannot recollect ever buying things similar either then or now.

What can they do?.

Also with respect to your knowledge and wisdom and whoever else chips in this company must be able to do something or they would not be around for 30 years without making money out of someone else’s

Misfortune?.

now go read post 8 again

and they

now go read post 8 again

So I have nothing to worry about just forget about it until another letter comes through my door then what if it has more then just a vague paragraph that they send to all who open their letters?.

Ps I appreciate what you have said but I’m a bit wound up by the letter. If I had an obvious financial problem I could think “ yep that’s me. Time to face the music , but I cannot think of anything and my credit score is spot on clean as aw whistle ..

What if the next letter said

dear Mr xxxx , in 1990 you took out a HP agreement for a Nokia Mobile phone and didn’t pay for it - you now owe up XXX amount of money !! , even though I’m struggling to think of anything ever I’m now in my 50s and have t had credit since my mid 20s!!.

they find people for fleecing debt collectors

they'll scan phone directories facebook and any other public records

and send letters out randomly to people with the same name as a debtor they have on file from a DCA

trying to scare someone into paying

a dca cant mark your file

and they

So what can they do to these people who have fleeced debt collectors there must be a load of people who have and I’m not one of them but if I were what can they do??.

Thanks in advance

Say I did fleece one what can this company do out of interest ??.

Can this company collect money for a debt collection agency for debts over 6 years or more I’m wanting to learn about their powers can they ask for repayment of a debt say 20 years old perhaps?.

stuff and all

people [debtors] don't fleece dca's

dca's try and fleece debtors- they buy debts old defunct civil consumer debts

dx

and they

you're saying they can’t do anything at all?.. I am

Grateful for your advice hopefully I won’t be awake all night trying to figure out what this company have picked me out for!.

go read up

1000's of threads here.

and they

Christ on a crutch, just ignore them, they can do diddly squat to you, as DX has said they send phishing letters out to every a jones hoping one of them even the wrong one will bite, and willingly be cash cowed for someone else's debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I appreciate what you say

what can they do to someone who they have contacted who does owe someone something in years gone by ?.

Whether that’s me or some other person.

Say I did owe someone something 10 years ago and have forgotten it what can these DCAs do?.

They must have a way of getting money off people or they wouldn’t be in business?.

already answered in post 8

why do you keep asking the same questions....................

and they

I have read a lot since last night as it doesn’t say anything specific in this letter these people have sent to me

obviously I am concerned as to what it is as it’s on my mind a lot,

I do suffer with anxiety and mental health issues and such things mess with my mind and have done since yesterday.

I am confused about this 6 year law mentioned in post 8?.

As I have said I have t had any debt for more years than I care to remember but am unsure if this 6 year statute qualifies to everything?.

I have read this morning on another site that these debt collection agencies can send someone to your house and have the powers to do so?.

I would have thought that it isn’t just a case of telling them to go away

I’ll call the Police!,

as the Police can’t do anything as apparently it isn’t illegal for them to come around to your house

( same as it isn’t illegal for a TV license agent to call at anyone’s house ).

Obviously as recommended if you ignore ignore ignore these DCAs may take more forceful means to collect what they have bought from Others?.

Is every debt exempt from the statute or are some things always retrievable?.

To finally add I do have a unique surname which makes me think that they won’t have made a mistake just sending this out to all and sundry hoping that they catch a fish willing to pay!,

for 100% it is me they have found me due to registering on the electoral roll late last year!.

now go read post 8 again

I have read a lot since last night as it doesn’t say anything specific in this letter these people have sent to me obviously I am concerned as to what it is as it’s on my mind a lot, I do suffer with anxiety and mental health issues and such things mess with my mind and have done since yesterday. I am confused about this 6 year law mentioned in post 8?. As I have said I have t had any debt for more years than I care to remember but am unsure if this 6 year statute qualifies to everything?. I have read this morning on another site that these debt collection agencies can send someone to your house and have the powers to do so?. I would have thought that it isn’t just a case of telling them to go away I’ll call the Police!, as the Police can’t do anything as apparently it isn’t illegal for them to come around to your house ( same as it isn’t illegal for a TV license agent to call at anyone’s house ).

Obviously as recommended if you ignore ignore ignore these DCAs may take more forceful means to collect what they have bought from Others?. Is every debt exempt from the statute or are some things always retrievable?.

Sadly, it seems no amount of advice online, here is going to persuade you .

You can ask the same question(s) a number of different ways, but you'll still get the same answers......., and if they don't reassure you on the Nth attempt, N+1 isn't likely to be any more helpful.

I suggest you print this thread out and take it to the CAB, where someone can tell you IN PERSON that the advice here is correct and not to worry. (Also that you can tell anyone who comes to your house to leave, not that it is likely anyone will come to your house, they are on a 'fishing trip' and if you don't respond they'll just move on to find someone who does fall for it).

If that advice ion person then doesn't help, then you need to seek psychological help with your stated anxiety and mental health issues (given that reassurance alone doesn't seem to be enough).

Can I finally ask please what are you thoughts on this point?, if you have moved house over the years ( as I have done in my work ) is the following. Comment meaning that a debt isn’t statute barred due to the debt chaser not being able to contact you , thanks for all your help who have helped I’ll do as you say .

Creditors aren’t allowed to keep chasing a debt that is statute barred if they haven’t been in touch with you at all during the six year limitation period, but they can keep asking you for payments if they’ve been in regular contact. If you’ve changed address without telling the creditor or not opened the letters, this doesn’t mean that creditors haven’t tried to contact you.

Finally thanks to all who have advised you have helped me out and I’m grateful to you all.

I will post back in a few weeks to update this if I find out anything thanks

Can I finally ask please what are you thoughts on this point?, if you have moved house over the years ( as I have done in my work ) is the following. Comment meaning that a debt isn’t statute barred due to the debt chaser not being able to contact you , thanks for all your help who have helped I’ll do as you say .

Creditors aren’t allowed to keep chasing a debt that is statute barred if they haven’t been in touch with you at all during the six year limitation period, but they can keep asking you for payments if they’ve been in regular contact. If you’ve changed address without telling the creditor or not opened the letters, this doesn’t mean that creditors haven’t tried to contact you.

My main thought is that that IS applicable, BUT ONLY if it your debt.

You don't know that it is your debt. You don't think it is your debt, from what you've posted.

Given that they'll be sending similar letters to lots of people (with the same name) in the hope that someone will think "yes, that might be my debt, I better respond", you need to weigh up the balance between:

a) sending them a letter saying "I don't think I have a debt with you, prove it" with the attendant risk they'll think "great, a mug, lets keep writing to them", and

b) just ignoring them, forgetting about it, and moving on with your life. If they really think it is your debt, they'll contact you again WITH THE DETAILS later anyhow. (It is safe to continue to ignore any letters that don't give the details, as they are still 'fishing trips')

Again, I'm unsure if this will help you, as you may not find it enough re-assurance. Hopefully, though, even if it doesn't, it may help someone else who gets a similar letter and finds this thread!.

My main thought is that that IS applicable, BUT ONLY if it your debt.

Not only is it only applicable if it is your debt, but also:

For someone whose debt it actually is, if statute barred : they can keep asking for payments........ but that is all. They can't do anything to enforce payment if it is statute barred.

I can ask you for £100. So what?. All you need do is ignore my request(s), and if I can't get a court to agree you have to give me the £100 (or enforce it any other way...), it doesn't matter that I can ask!.