Gas bill £13k due to condemned boiler

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

A couple I know have for the last 4 months been rented a 3 bedroomed property.

In November their energy company contacted them advising that a £13k bill had accrued since they moved in.

The couple had a gas engineer look at the boiler and saw that a condemned sticker had been removed, this was prior to them moving in.

The engineer tested the system and it was discovered that the system was burning gas at £35.00 per hour.

After this the couple rang the letting agency and explained the situation.

It took them 6 weeks to do something about this and the couple had to buy electric heaters and keep them going 24/7 has the rooms were really cold.

Have they got claim for compensation against the letting agency for this?

Thanks

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

No gas safety certificate which would be legal requirement. If there is one, it must be dodgy ?

See this ending up in court. Suing the landlord/agency for excess usage. Don't know how this would be worked out. There are probably experts who will provide a report for use in court and they will know the legal situation.

Do they have a Home Insurance legal Insurance or other such cover via say Trade Union membership ? If so, this might help pay some legal costs.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The Gas safety Certificate should have the Name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check. (Does it?)

If the registration is there as it should check it out on the Gas Safety Register: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I think I would start off by getting an independent inspection of the boiler from a certified gas inspector of your choosing – and you will pay for it.

On the basis of what you say, the boiler will fail its inspection and the certificate will be refused. Once you have that then you have a good basis for saying that the certificate which you already have is in fact been issued fraudulently. If you can get this then come back here

landlord responsible, not letting agency unless you can prove the LA removed the sticker and even then they may claim LL told them to (crap defence but anyone breaking the law will clutch at straws).

I cant see that a dodgy boiler will eat £35/hr's worth of gas, the pipes wont be big enough to feed that amount of gas into the boiler, there must be something else wrong as well.

The story is a bit unclear because it says the gas engineer tested the system before they moved in, and they have been using electric heaters. Yet a large bill has still been raised. The gas engineer should have condemned the boiler again based on the story.

I cant see that a dodgy boiler will eat £35/hr's worth of gas, the pipes wont be big enough to feed that amount of gas into the boiler, there must be something else wrong as well.

Yes this does seem unlikely. If true then either the gas is being burnt and would destroy (melt) the boiler, or it is not and there would be a tremendous smell of gas around the property.

The meter readings and/or the meter probably need to be checked too.

The gas certificate could be legitimate, but the sticker added later (when the boiler went wrong).