universal credit few questions??

Qawallified
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Just a few questions please if somebody is able to help.

1. What are the rules around Income? is there a maximum amount of income that if you are earning you cannot claim Universal Credit?

2. what does subject to immigration control mean? how or who do i check that with? can someone please explain "habitual residence" and "right to reside" in basic english

3. what happens to benefits like esa or housing benefit or tax credits when i claim universal credit? do they stop as soon as i make the claim or am i sent a letter telling me when they will stop and they continue until i get my first universal credit payment?

4. what happens if i am claiming esa and dwp stop it and i have to claim universal credit as i have no other income but i still want to appeal the esa decision? if the esa decision is given in my favour would i then go off universal credit and back onto my old benefits?

would appreciate help with these from someone in the know - thank you so much

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/universal-credit-for-disabled-people

There is plenty of free advice out there such as the link above and the one Honeybee provided earlier.

Also it is worth visiting 'Entitled to' and using their benefit calculator.

Because of the complex way benefits and UC work, plus the various issues you raise, it is a bit dangerous answering questions on an internet forum with any specific information.

Someone from an EEA country such as Romania might be able to claim UK benefits. They would need to provide information to DWP Job Centre plus as part of their benefit claim. If they live in a UC full service area, they would apply for UC. Suggest using 'Entitled to' benefit calculator before any UC claim is started.

If an ESA work capability assessment means that the ESA claim cannot be continued, then DWP will advise the process. If in a UC full service area A new UC claim would need to be started and if your Romanian partner has a UC claim up and running, then both accounts would be joined up as a couple claim.

Check that your postcode is a UC full service area using Entitled to. If you are not in a UC area, then a failed ESA claim, might mean you claim for JSA. Your partner would also claim a legacy benefit JSA or ESA etc as appropriate.

You can only really get an idea of benefit entitlement using a benefit calculator such as Entiltled to. Income level allowed is affected by work capability assessment outcome and all of the other benefit info you add. Up to you to find out for yourself.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you this was helpful

Can I also ask our house is shared ownership can I claim housing element or no? Can i claim only for rent and service charges or for all which includes amount which goes towards us eventually owning the house?

Suggest you apply details to the Benefits calculator and see what it says. If it says you can claim for housing costs or may qualify, then it is up to you to apply and find out. Will depend on your application details .

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread