• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Parkwood Leisure - Severe change in circumstances

cmoz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I recently experienced a severe change in circumstances which meant I was removed from my residence in London and had to move over 55 miles away.

In London, I'm tied into a 12 month contract with Parkwood Leisure.

I emailed them, explaining my change in circumstances an that I was under severe financial strain and therefor couldn't afford to pay my membership - I provided them with proof of change of address etc.

I also took the following steps:

- tried to find someone to transfer it to

- asked if they had a gym near my new address, so I could transfer it to someone here (they don't)

- Offered to pay them a smaller amount (2 months fee) to effectively cut the contract early, which would be beneficial to both sides and is all I can afford.

So far all I have received is strong arm emails just reciting the same contractual terms,

with no compassion showed by what appears to be a pretty awful organisation based on other posts

I've read about people who've been admitted to hospital etc (Parkwood Leisure).

I suppose my question is - is there anything I can do?

I'm tempted to just tell them to do one and take a chance,

if they file a CCJ

then I'll just pay up

but as you can imagine a gym membership is definitely not high on the list of debt priority (unless it has to be, with a CCJ).

I'm not too familiar with CCJs, but from what I understand:

- If you pay in 14 days then it wont impact your credit rating

- You will be charged a CCJ administration fee on top of what you owe

Does anyone know if the above are correct in this case, if so, what is the administration fee?

I'm tempted to offer the gym a payment of say £10 a month for the foreseeable future to make the payment easier - would they likely accept this?

The whole experience has been awful to effectively just speak uncompassionate gym staff

(I even had a phone call with the head of the centre).

What an awful way to treat customers.

Thanks for any advice!

you have moved out of the area - perfect excuse to cancel.

all you need to do is offer ONE months membership following your moved/cancelled DD

gyms don't do CCJ's nor mark credit files

and DCA'sare totally powerless and are NOT BAILIFFS

use the slick132 letter in 1000's of threads here

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Cmoz and welcome to CAG

Have a read around of other threads here and you'll not find a SINGLE case where court action is taken, let alone results in a CCJ.

The gym doesn't have to be compassionate about the change in circumstances. You've moved and they cannot hold you to the 12 month agreement - it's your RIGHT to cancel with just one month's notice.

1. Are you dealing direct with the gym or is an admin Co involved.

2. Please confirm exactly what the gym said in response to your request for release from the agreement due to relocation.

Do not contact them further for now, until we have a fuller picture.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hello,

Thank you both for your responses.

To answer your questions in order:

1. Currently, I’ve been dealing with gym direct (Sidcup Leisure Centre) and have escalated the claim and received a resp Once from the centre manager. This response however was exactly the same as all others (explained below).

2. I contacted the gym, explained my circumstances and the response I received was robotic and simply recited the t&cs of my contract, which states I MUST fulfil the 12 month contract. I offered them 2 months membership as that’s all I can afford but they also declined this.

Other steps taken:

- tried to sell it to a friend

- tried to transfer it to my new address as I found a family member willing to take it, but they don’t have a gym within 30 miles of my new address

Generally their attitude has been “we don’t care, read the T&Cs

I’ve actually contacted the competition and markets authority, who responded to me today after 10 days stating essentially that they were interested in the case and would investigate it. However, they said their investigation would take months due to limited resources so in the meantime I should contact the citizens advice.

Hopefully this provides the information you need!

Thanks very much for the help

It must be added that the gym is managed by park wood leisure, who own many gyms

The CMA are a body you can complain to but they're generally unable to help out individuals. They work on a far larger scale.

Citizens advice will not really help you at all - we are FAR more experienced dealing with gym cases than they are.

The other body to complain to (when the time is right, is Trading Standards.

I would like you to follow the following specific advice and write to the gym by posted letter :-

The gym manager

Sidcup Leisure Centre

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my membership which I had to cancel due to relocating over 50 miles away.

I've been told by you that I remain committed to a 12 month membership agreement despite relocating - is this correct ?

I remain willing to pay one month's fee for the notice period that I think I need to give you, if you're willing to accept this.

Yours faithfully,

Please also give some more info for us :-

1. Approx date you joined.

2. Approx date the DD was paid each month.

3. Date you first told the gym you were cancelling due to the relocation.

4. Was this by letter, email, in person or by phone.

5. Date you actually moved away.

6. Date the Last DD was paid before (I assume) you cancelled the DD mandate.

Do not discuss this with the gym by phone at all.

Edited by slick132

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks again for your help with this. Citizens advice recommended that I contact trading standards, but I will hold fire on this for now.

I'll send that letter off to the gym today via recorded delivery.

Here's the answers to your questions:

1. Joined May 29th 2017

2. DD Paid on the 1st every month (was due January 1st, but has been cancelled)

3. I told the gym via email (no phone contact, everything in writing) around Wednesday 20th December. I also offered to pay the January membership fee at this point as well, as I understand 1 months notice is probably fair.

4. Everything has been done by email so far.

5. I left my previous address on Tuesday 19th December.

6. Last paid 1st December 2017 (haven't actually used the gym since around December 12th).

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Hi Cmoz,

Will you be informed if any gym post goes to the old address ? If not, you should give the gym your current address so you ALWAYS know what they're up to.

No further action required until the gym replies specifically to your letter.

In the meantime, you have done all you ever needed by informing the gym in writing (email) of the relocation and offering to pay the fee due on 1/1/18.

Hello,

Yes the gym has been informed of my new address

- they have sent me an invoice of £270 for the remainder of the membership.

I haven’t received any further email correspondence from them.

Should I just ignore it?

Thanks!

Hi Cmoz,

Have the gym replied specifically to your letter that I drafted above.

If so, did they give an answer to, "I've been told by you that I remain committed to a 12 month membership agreement despite relocating - is this correct ?" .

If so, what exactly did they say.

Or was this simply a further demand that didn't refer to the letter.

Hello,

This was another letter. I’ve not had a response from the other one yet, I sent it 4 days ago now so should expect one shortly.

Will update then.

thanks

OK, so ignore the latest letter and let us know if/when they reply to the letter you just sent.

• 1 month later...

Hi Slick132,

They’ve just sent another letter as a “final demand”. Also been calling me around once a week but I’ve ignored every call.

Do you think they are just trying to call my bluff?

The gym has actually just been taken over by “Lex Leusire”, who are now perusing me.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers nR7okx

no reply ignore

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Cmoz,

Do you know when Lex Leisure took over from Parkwood.

Is it just Lex Leisure that continue to demand payment from you.

Make no response for now.

Edited by slick132

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Unsure on the exact date - it was around late Jan after this dispute had begun.

This is the letter I have just had - slightly concerned as it’s threatening court action.

Any advice?

What would the best step be if a CCJ is filed - I presume to pay immediately to risk the CCJ getting on my credit file.

However, I do feel like I would have a genuine case against them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Court action - Ha ha .......... in their dreams !!

There will be no court case and no CCJ.

Read all the other 100's of threads here and you'll find no court action taken in the last few years. Lots threatened but NEVER taken.

Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the following email:

Dear Mr,

Overdue Amount: £270,00,

Invoice Membership arrears for fixed expressions contract

The above invoice is now very overdue and due to be passed to our legal department which may result in court action. If court action is taken you will be liable for court fees and administration costs, in addition to the outstanding debt, which would need to be settled in full by yourself.

Please pay this invoice immediately to prevent this action being taken.

Payment can be made by BACS to:

Account Name: xxxxxx Limited

Sort Code: xx-xx-xx

Account Number: xxxxxxxx

Reference: xxxxx

By cheque made payable to xxxxx Limited and sent to:

xxxxx Limited

Address xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Alternatively by debit/credit card over the telephone: xxxxxx

If you should have any queries please contact us on xxxxxx during office hours which are Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm.

Kind regards

CREDIT CONTROL

Edited by slick132
Removed unnecessary data/info

do you really want them knowing its you seeking help here why post up all the ref numbers!!

and they

Hi Cmoz,

I've removed some info from the post above - it's good to remain anonymous online.

As far as their email, simply ignore it completely.

Ah - I posted that off my phone, I did actually delete the reference number but must've copied the original email instead of my note. Thanks very much for removing the details - and the advice! Will do.