Interest Only Mortgage Ending - Can't repay capital - Anyone know what Nationwide will do

Hestia10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Does anyone know what Nationwide is likely to do in our situation please?

Wife is 16 years older than me so we had a 10 year self cert mortgage taking her to age 65 originally through Derbyshire/Salt and now taken over with Nationwide.

About 12 months ago we rang Nationwide after receiving a standard letter re repaying the loan at the end of the mortgage term. The friendly but extremely unhelpful call center guide was only interested in referring us to an independent mortgage advisor when asking about options and whether we could extend the term as they couldn't give advice and there were NO options on Nationwide doing some sort of deal or changing the mortgage.

There wasn't much point in talking to a broker as my business went south in 2009 and we have wobbly credit, can't prove income to service the loan now although have no arrears or ever been in arrears.

Instead we have been trying to sell the property - £255000 mortgage and 2 local estate agents started us at £395,000 now down to £340,000 and only 3 viewings in a year!

I have been trying to understand 'Forebearance' but can't find any examples of any lenders being helpful to customers when they can't afford repayment.

All we want to do is to continue actively trying to sell it while paying interest only rather than have it repossessed and forced sold.

Does anyone know what is 'likely' to happen - particulalrly where Nationwide are involved? Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated.

Wife was just going to leave today she is getting so upset.

We have until Feb for the mortgage term to end although haven't received any notices about the mortgage since last year.

Thanks

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I appreciate that they can foreclose and we have been dropping the price. We understand that ultimately something is better than nothing/a debt if they sell for less than the mortgage but it still hurts to hemorrhage the only bit of money we have and you always have to negotiate a sale anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of what they do in practice? Might they extend the term or allow a period longer to sell on the market? Even if we dropped to €250000 and invited bids it would take longer than we currently have!

Try talking to an independent mortgage broker - the good ones usually know what the options might be

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

First have a read of the following

Nationwide will most certainly have to allow you a period to sell your property about 2 years would be seen as reasonable

Several banks including are introducing new mortgage schemes to help in your situation

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-publishes-findings-review-interest-only-mortgages-and-reaches-agreement

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/finalised-guidance/fg13-07.pdf

Edited by Andyorch
Links corrected

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.