25th Anniverary Trip

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My wife and I recently returned from our 25th Anniversary trip to the UK via BA. We encountered various issues with our trip and have complained but thus far have only received standard email fobbing me off.

Please read my complaint and make any suggestions as to the best way to escalate matters. All the flights were operated under BA's One World Branding but they state I must address the issue with the Cathay flight directly to them, which I think is wrong but will stand corrected if anyone on here agrees with BA.

This was meant to be a trip of a lifetime and I refuse to let the arrogance of BA ruin what was a special trip celebrating a milestone in anyone's marriage so do nto want them to get away with fobbing me off.

We were originally travelling with my wife's brother and his wife, but my sister in law could not travel as she was diagnosed with liver cancer ten days before we were due to go and sadly she died in December thus delaying any further action on this matter.

This whole trip was booked via the Flight Centre,

My wife and I flew out of Heathrow on flight BA11 to Singapore on the 20th October 2017.

Our point of origin for this flight was Manchester, and although we encountered a delayed departure the handling agents assured us over the phone that everything would be fine, and this would cause no issues. Unfortunately, our luggage did not arrive in Singapore, until the following morning. Thus resulting in a wasted hour at Changi airport waiting for our baggage because although the handling agents knew that our baggage was not on board, it did not occur to them to inform either my wife or me upon our arrival there was an issue with our luggage.

This problem was then compounded by the fact that having assured me that our luggage would arrive that evening and be forwarded to our hotel that night, the agents in Singapore decided to apply a delaying tactic (I suspect due to the fact that our luggage arrived after the close of regular working hours) and called my hotel to arrange a time for me to take delivery.

Under the Package Travel regulations rules 21 & 31 I am entitled to hold my agents, the Flight Centre, liable for the losses incurred & the impact this failure had on our enjoyment of what was a special trip for my wife and me.

I am also entitled to hold yourselves responsible for the losses incurred by this loss of our luggage under the terms of the Montreal Convention 1999.

These losses are as follows;

Specific Damages –

New clean clothing for my wife and I – one hundred pounds; this covers the cost of a new shirt, shorts, underwear etc. You will appreciate that having been in our clothes for nearly twenty-four hours, we desperately needed clean clothes, especially when you consider we had slept in the clothes we were wearing on our flight.

I can provide copies of receipts and other evidence of the value.

Pecuniary Damages –

Loss of enjoyment

As I have no way of breaking down my holiday other than the cost of the entire trip, divided by the number of days we were away, this means the price of one day's travel & accommodation for my wife & I was four hundred and twenty-seven pounds per day. I think therefore that the fairest & most reasonable way to value our loss of enjoyment would be to split this cost fifty/fifty and consequently the sum claimed for loss of enjoyment is two hundred and thirteen pounds and fifty pence.

Thus the total losses claimed for this leg of our journey are three hundred and thirteen pounds and fifty pence.

There are also some further issues, which need to be addressed concerning the Cathay Pacific flight from Brisbane to Hong Kong (CX156) on the 04th November 2017, which I believe was booked by the Flight Centre, under your one world service, as Premium Economy, but was far from it. We could not even get the staff on board the flight to provide milk for the tea they served, as they merely chose to ignore the call buttons whenever pressed and seemed more interested in helping their Asian clientele then responding to polite requests from Europeans such as my wife and I.

Again, although unsure of the total cost, I have priced a similar flight for Saturday 18th November 2017 online, and the price differential between the economy service we received and the Premium service expected is five hundred and ninety-seven Australian dollars or in GBP terms at today's exchange rate three hundred & forty-eight pounds.

Therefore, in the interests of fairness, I suggest that a reasonable figure again to cover this loss of enjoyment would be based on a fifty/fifty split, and I would request that a sum of one hundred and seventy-four pounds is reimbursed as compensatory damages.

Finally, the most critical issue contained in this entire letter, which concerns the return flight, BA028, on the 07th November 2017.

As no doubt you will have on record, this flight proved to be extremely traumatic for my wife and saw her have a complete breakdown on landing in the UK. As she spent the entire trip scared of the actions of the passenger directly in front of her seat, in seat 25A, who moved from seat 25B. This passenger we suspect was on drugs, and as a big man deliberately broke the chair to gain more leg room, and following this spent roughly thirty minutes thrashing about trying to break the seat, gave a smug smile when asked to consider my wife and continued to behave like an inconsiderate moron.

We reported this to the steward, a chap called Paul, who was kindness personified, and he promised to keep an eye on matters.

As you may appreciate, this mans conduct was fast becoming so aggravating that I was tempted to take things into my own hands and explain vigorously, why he should respect the dignity of his fellow travellers and in particular my wife.

Unfortunately, this mans behaviour continued, and despite my wife advising Paul his conduct had not changed and Paul's assurances that the ‘boss’ was aware of the situation, no one thought to suggest we moved seats, (my wife would have moved into the bulkhead economy seating if necessary as it was empty).

In hindsight, my wife should have woken me from my slumbers and had me make a request to move, but she was by this point too scared to complain once again in case it resulted in a confrontation with this individual and was concerned about the distress such an encounter would cause to the other women and children on board our flight, especially to the baby who was sat directly behind my wife and his mother who was travelling with her child alone.

At the end of the flight, we requested a conversation with the ‘boss’ as Paul described her, and she was extremely apologetic. However, she then asked my wife why we had not complained because we could have moved, which was quickly corrected by Paul, who advised we had twice, but no action taken.

Although reluctant to hold your company and the flight attendants responsible for the actions of a moron, especially given the fact that your flight staff were in all honesty, charming and wonderful representatives of your company, I feel that some offer of compensation is appropriate given the failure to offer to move my wife and I.

I suggest that a reasonable offer of compensation, based on your evaluation of the distress caused, once you have had the chance to read the report lodged by your flight staff would be fair. Furthermore, a written assurance that this man had been warned about his conduct and is now facing a ban from travelling with BA, as Paul and the ‘boss’ assured us would be their follow up a recommendation to your company.

I am sure when you have read your own staff’s report of the matter, you will be able to appreciate just how this whole incident was extremely distressing for my wife, so much so that I feared she might have another stroke, she was so upset and why although reluctant to hold BA responsible for the actions of an idiot I feel that a gesture on your companies part to reflect the distress caused to my wife would be appropriate.