greedy/aggressive landlord, Need Advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There Everybody,

I was wondering if someone can offer advice on the subject of a greedy/aggressive landlord called xxxx.

18 months ago, I moved into a low cost shared accommodation and made a deal with the live-in landlord for £300 per month with all bills included.

My room was a small single bedroom and it pretty much met my needs.

However, my live in landlord who is called xxxx isn’t the real landlord of the property.

The real owner of the house was Lee’s friend called xxxx and it was brought to my attention that xxxxx does not deal with me.

Furthermore, when moving in to the house, I had no tenancy agreement given to me.

At the time, I was struggling to find anywhere else to live and ended up moving in out of desperation.

After 8 months of living in the property, I was put under pressure to pay an extra £50 on top of my £300 monthly rent.

As you can probably guess, I had no alternative and ended up paying the extra £50.

However, 11 months after my increase, xxxxx the owner now wants another £45 on top of my current rent.

This now brings my rent up to £395 per month.

Most annoyingly, xxxxx did not send any letter to me or the other tenants to give prior notification of his £45 increase.

However, xxxxx did turn up at the property last Sunday to tell us about the increase in person.

He gave no 24 hour notice of his arrival and just turned up in the late morning knocking on all tenants doors to demand his attention.

He has turned up at the property a few times before without giving 24 hours notice, it’s really annoying.

Is there anyone who might be able to advise me further on my situation?

P.S, I am looking for somewhere else to live as we speak, but it’s not easy on my budget.

Edited by Andyorch
Names removed

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.....names removed as its irrelevant to your problem.#

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

As has been mentioned is this an HMO? https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/houses-in-multiple-occupation

How many other Tenants reside and Pay Rent at the property?

You need to ask the actual Landlord for a Tenancy Agreement. (you need to know is this is a Tenancy Agreement and what type or if its a Lodger Agreement (Rent a Room)) Rent a room in your home: https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

Most Local Councils (not all) require Private Landlords to be Registered, so check with the dept that deals with Private Landlords if they are.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi There stu007,

The house I currently reside has three paying tenants in total, but only the most recent tenant living in the property has some kind of tenancy agreement that eddy provided.

However, I believe that tenancy agreement is meaningless and void.

I’m also pretty sure eddy the owner is not a registered landlord and does things under the radar.

I’d assume a registered landlord with three tenants should pay taxes, but don’t believe eddy’s doing this.

When I originally moved into the property, I asked for a tenancy agreement and eddy wouldn’t give me one.

The reason I required a tenancy agreement was to help me receive some housing benefit from my local council.

I work part-time and this makes me eligible to claim housing benefit, but eddy’s lack of interest to provide a tenancy agreement made life problematic for me.

In the end, I was forced to take matters into my own hands and draft up my own tenancy agreement to say lee was my landlord instead.

Put simply, Lee is masquerading as my landlord instead as eddy.

This form I drafted has helped me receive the much needed financial support I require from the council.

However, after all the drama of living in my current property, I feel the need to get out quick as everything about my circumstances is a liability.

Hi

However, I believe that tenancy agreement is meaningless and void.

How do you believe this?

In the end, I was forced to take matters into my own hands and draft up my own tenancy agreement to say lee was my landlord instead.

This form I drafted has helped me receive the much needed financial support I require from the council.

You need to be aware that drafting up your own Tenancy Agreement and given to the Council to get Financial Support wasn't a good idea as this could come back on you as the actual Landlord has not provided that Tenancy Agreement.

For ending your tenancy look at this: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Hi stu007,

XXX who was once XXXXXX friend, but not anymore after all this drama, doesn’t believe XXXXX is doing things legally.

As it stands, the house we currently live in isn’t suitable for proper habitation.

There are no smoke alarms in the house and the cold tap downstairs in the kitchen doesn’t work.

There’s also hanging/lose electrical cables hanging in the kitchen.

There’s a leak somewhere in the house with water dripping down the wall when it rains heavy.

The front door needs fixing etc etc.

At the end of the day, XXXXX knows about the house problems, but chooses to do nothing about it.

As for tenancy agreements, Lee and I don’t have one and our most recent tenant was only given a fake agreement to make eddy look legit.

We can’t prove this 100%, but we’re pretty sure xxxxxx not doing things by the book.

To be honest, I did tell the council that I drafted up a form showing my signature and lee’s signature, they seemed happy with this.

Edited by Andyorch
Names removed

I know it is a bit confusing.

Eddy is the actual Landlord

When the Op took tenancy it was via Lee who they thought was Landlord as it was implied. (they later find out Lee is not Landlord but Eddy)

(Op please correct me if I am wrong)

You need to have a good read of the links that have been posted

Edited by stu007

Hi stu007,

I genuinely apologise, I’m not the best person to explain things to be honest.

when moving into my current property, lee said he was going to act as my landlord instead of XXXX.

However, XXXX is the real owner of the house and therefore should be my landlord, but he isn’t.

XXXX wants to have nothing to do with me and when meeting eddy in the flesh, he made this very clear.

Xxx and Xxxx were friends in the past and lee moved into the current house to help xxxx pay his mortgage.

You see, xxxx lives in another city with his wife and left his friend Xxx the responsibility of dealing with the property.

When I pay Xxx my rent, lee then pays xxxx.

However, Xxx, I and the newest tenant are finally fed up with xxxx, he keeps increasing our rent.

In less than two years, my £300 single room is now £395 per month.

Everyone in the house including Xxx are now looking for somewhere else to live, but we have no leverage over xxxx and the reason for this is not having a genuine tenancy agreement.

Put simple, we have little recourse.

disgruntled2007 said:
So, that’s benefit fraud...

I sent a stamped addressed envelope to eddy with an A4 piece of paper to show what my monthly rent was.

All I required from eddy was a signature from him to make everything legit, but he refused to do it.

This put me in a very difficult situation and those benefits help me a lot.

I work part time on a low wage and have health problems, I had no alternative to get lee to sign it instead.

In essence, Xxx said he was acting as my landlord.

What else could I do?

Hi there mariner51,

Yes, it is a shared accommodation

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

Why don't you all stop paying rent and change the locks?

Xxxx would be forced to start proceedings to evict you and provide tenancy agreements to the court, but he hasn't got them.

Unless he's a dodgy guy that would serve him well.

Ask Xxx if it's a good idea or if this eddy is likely to break the door down and literally kick you out.

In this case i wouldn't do it.

Another avenue to explore is the deposit (if any) not being protected.

That could potentially treble in court.

It sounds to me that its an illegal HMO and being illegally sub let so I wouldn't expect the landlord to abide by the rules.

Also I suspect you may run into trouble by manufacturing your own lease for benefits.

That is fraud

You have submitted documents that you know to be false to claim benefits.

Hi there king12345,

I was under the impression that the owner XXXXX can still acquire a letter from the solicitor to evict unwanted occupants and doesn't necessarily need tenancy agreements to do this.

Are you sure that’s a good idea?

As for not paying XXXXX, he would go mental, I kid you not!

All I did was manufacture an A4 word document that showed how much the rent was and a signature from XXX and my self

I told the council that the A4 was drafted by me and they still happily accepted it.

However, I did try very hard to get eddy to sign it as he’s the owner, but he refused.

I had nowhere else to go, what else could I have done?

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

Hi

Please have a good read of the links already posted in your thread.

For Rent Increases have a look at this link: https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/rent-increases

As for Eviction the Landlord needs more than a Solicitors letter as they have to follow a process and go to Court to obtain a Possession Order

(its not as simple as just a solicitors letter)

Look at these links:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_notices_from_private_landlords

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting-evictions

In fact, as stu007 said, the LL will need more than a solicitor to evict you.

He will need to go to court and win which will give you a good 12 months rent free.

That if the judge accepts a tenancy agreement on the first hearing,

but believe me,

the LL will not have any sympathy for renting his house cash in hands and putting rent up more often than changing underwear.

Of course he would go mental if you all stop paying rent and change the locks,

the question is:

Would he just go mental or would he become violent?

If he's only gonna swear and shout, let him do that and walk away and if he follows call the police.

Hi king12345,

To be honest, I had a very long chat with ... today and he said that .... isn’t the violent type.

However, ... has already threatened the newer tenant in the house and told him to pay his rent up to date or ... will fill his room with somebody else.

This is threatening behaviour, but not verbally, its was sent via text message

please stop posting names

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How is he gonna fill the room with someone else if the other tenant is there and locks have been changed?

Who would rent an occupied room?

Moreover, if he enters an occupied room even if the tenant is not paying rent, he would break the law and police would be grateful to make an easy nick.

I'm a LL myself and I don't like people who give us a bad name, so screw him.

Agree they cannot just enter a room nor can they just put someone else in the room you occupy.

Have you asked the Council if Private Landlords need to be Register and if so if your Actual Landlord is Registered with them and under what status i.e. is it HMO?