Council Flat, keeping occupancy.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys / gals

Not been around these parts for a while, hope you experts are all well ( merry xmas). Your advice has sorted me out many a time.

May I add, I have had a couple of beers while typing this, so bare with me if it does not make sense.

I will cut to the chase, my partner recently died.

she was only 52 and was the sole signature on the council rent book.

I have shown the council that I have lived in the property ( 1 bedroom flat ) for the last 2 years, and have asked to keep the flat on.

She died 3 weeks ago, and I have not heard anything from them yet?

do I have a chance of keeping the flat, and what sort of notice period can they give me?

kind regards

Mr Noughts

Hi

Sorry for your sad loss.

Forget Council Rent Book it the Tenancy Agreement for the Property were you named on it at all?

As you had been living there for 2 yrs were you listed on council tax at property and Had you partner ask the Councils Permission at all?

Sadly I do have to air caution here if not on council tax for property nor permission from in the 2yrs you were resident at property as the Council could class it as your partner breached the tenancy agreement.

What I think you may also be looking at is the possibility of Succession rights:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/council_housing_association/can_you_inherit_a_council_tenancy

Also have a look on the council housings website for tenancy succession it may be on there

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It is common to assess your needs and delve a little more in to the relationship before they assign the tenancy. As it is a 1 bedroom flat I would be more optimistic than if it were a 3 bedroom property but they will look at your ability to rent in the private sector compared to those at the top of their waiting list and also want to know where you were living before.

It could go either way depending on your circumstance and the pressures on their housing stock for this size property.