I Kind of stole from Matalan, would have seen my license plate.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

what would be the situation if i wanted to swap some boots for a different size

but they wouldnt take them as they had mud on them.

i take the old ones to the shelf ,

put them back and take the ones that i wanted of the right size.

As i leave the alarm goes off and they follow me out and see me get into my car.

Whats likely to happen?

Cheers

They werent that muddy , i had just gone for a walk to walk them in and they gave me a blister, was over pavements and all the dirt could have easily been brushed off. The person was just being quite picky imo.

you could well be arrested as the store has no powers of its own to deal with this matter

so they will go to the police who will trace you quite easily.

If you dont get arrested for this your car details will go on the police national computer as a vehicle involed in crime so you can expect to be stopped frequently as long as you own it or are associated with it.

People committing one sort of crime are often involved in others so you become an easy stop and search subject.

Clearly boots covered in mud have been used,

not just tried on and rejected

I am not surprised they didnt want them back.

If someone borrowed something of yours and trashed it would you be happy to accept it back in a parlous state?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

I'm sorry Zack, I don't see the logic here.

If you wanted to try out the boots you could have done that around the house. If they weren't very muddy, why didn't you clean them before you took them back?

That's possibly by the by, what ericsbrother has said is likely to be more important.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

They seemed fine in the store. So i went for a small walk to walk them in before i went for a longer walk the next day.

During this walk i realised they didnt actually fit and gave me a blister so i went to return them the next day.

I forgot to clean them as they were not visible dirty unless you looked at the small areas of dirt on the bottom of the boots.

They are perfectly able to be re sold imo but as you say thats not really the point

You say they are perfectly able to be resold

- however, would you purchase them if someone else had actually done this ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you wanted to return the original purchase, you do so by dealing with the store staff.

Swapping them in store with another pair without going through the staff shows dishonest intent, IMO.

So, it is theft. The store may well involve the police if you left with the alarm going off and you didn’t stop and got in a car and left, depending on what the store staff saw and what (if anything) got captured on CCTV.

Since you know both that the alarm went off and that they were following you, what will you say if the police ask “So, why didn’t you stop, if only to say ‘I’ve not done anything wrong’”?

As for “kind of stole” in the thread title: what makes you believe you aren’t guilty of theft to make it “kind of stole”?

If you wanted to return the original purchase, you do so by dealing with the store staff.

Swapping them in store with another pair without going through the staff shows dishonest intent, IMO.

Definitely dishonest intent I'd say, as OP says in post #1 that he first took them to staff and asked to swap and they refused so then he swapped them anyway and then when the new boots set the alarm off legged it to his car.

True: I have to admit I missed the “they wouldn’t take them as they had mud on them”.

OP should have sold them on (ebay, gumtree, whatever) as “wrong size, so nearly New”.

What’s the odds:

a) they aren’t hearing what they wanted (that it was fine to do as they did, that they’ll hear no more about it), and/or

b) they won’t come back and answer / update the thread?

Hi

Regarding the thread title ' I kind of stole' There is no 'Kind of', You took a new pair of shoes from the shelves and replaced them with used goods. If not theft, then fraud would be first on my mind.

Did you expect that the store would clean them for you? You should have ensured that they were thoroughly cleaned before even thinking of taking them back.

CAG is all about helping the vulnerable, not assisting people who couldn't care less.

Would the CCTV have caught your licence plate? Possibly. If they did would the police get involved? Possible. If the store did get your plate then I would say they had good grounds for obtaining your details from the DVLA and take it from there.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE