SWT-caught using husband season ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2277 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wont list all the details but i used my husband season ticket today and got caught.

I stated he was aware of me having his ticket but i only told him this as i was on the train in the morning and got caught on the return journey home.

Wish i was not so honest telling the truth but there i am, i shoulg have never took his ticket.

I dont think it would look good having made a false journey once already

plus it is a season ticket,

plus the owner was aware of this.

As you advised,

i will await for the letter from swt but sigh,,

, dont really wanting to end a year in this way

but read all the posts related to fare persecutions on this site which help..

.just waiting for the letter

well we've seen repeated use result in an out of court settlement.

so don't give up hope.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you dx.

Try not to think too much but as you can see, i am widely awake 4am in the morning!

I hope they would take a consideration that i was a season ticket holder up until the end of august.

I decided not to renew but managed to work from home twice a week.

Trains in august were just awful and now i got caught for using it as i rushed to get the morning train.

Never mind

as i was on the train in the morning and got caught on the return journey home.

I dont think it would look good having made a false journey once already

plus it is a season ticket,

plus the owner was aware of this.

but read all the posts related to fare persecutions on this site which help..

Thank you dx. Try not to think too much but as you can see, i am widely awake 4am in the morning!

I hope they would take a consideration that i was a season ticket holder up until the end of august. I decided not to renew but managed to work from home twice a week. Trains in august were just awful and now i got caught for using it as i rushed to get the morning train. Never mind

Being a previous season ticket holder is irrelevant.

If anything it highlights that you knew you needed a ticket / to have paid your fare.

Working from home some of the time? Trains “awful” in August?

Again, they’ll just see these as looking for excuses.

“Rushing to get the train”: sounds like a perfect explanation. Yet, how come you had their season ticket: so, it still looks premeditated.

But: you need to get your story straight:

“ was on the train in the morning and got caught on the return journey home” doesn’t fit well with “ got caught for using it as i rushed to get the morning train“

Was this a night shift, and your return was in the morning?

Meanwhile, I know it is only a typo, but it is one a spell checker won’t pick up. I wouldn’t call them the” fare persecutions” team.

Thanks for putting me straight.

It was my normal day commute to london dashing to kids club and run to the station.

I knew i was going to miss 8:12 train if i buy tickets,

i just opened up my husband wallet and got on 8:12 train.

And then in the evening,

i was intending to use his ticket again to go home to be honest.

It worked in the morning.

Wish i just missed the train and got tickets.

No words can describe how i feel especially as a mum raising a 4year old trying to teach her what’s good and bad behaviour.

I dont deserve tell her to be a good girl for santa.

Edited by Apark

What’s done is done. You just have to deal with the aftermath now.

I’m all for honesty, but:

a) you don’t have to tell them about you using the season ticket in the morning unless they specifically ask

(as you don’t want to “get caught in a lie” if they did ask, but it isn’t likely they will ask unless they know you’ve used it a lot more repeatedly....)

b) the morning use isn’t relevant to your afternoon use :

I wouldn’t go down the

“I got away with it in the morning, so I thought I’d use it in the afternoon” route :

either way it looks pre-meditated (for the afternoon use),

so I wouldn’t try and make excuses

(they’ll have heard most of them before, anyhow!)

Do you know what, i was not on the train in the evening.

I went through and wanted to come out :

no idea why and the gate didnt open and i asked the gate keeper to let me out.

Technically i didnt use the ticket to get on the train.

Should I mention this?

so how did you get home?

and where did the ticket inspector think you'd come from?

if you didn't use it to board a train

you did nothing wrong other than have your OH's card on you and coughing to using it in the morning?

am I getting confused here??

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If they didn’t board a train then they can’t have breached byelaw 18(1).

So, then : were they in a compulsory ticket area?

If not,

then have they breached 18(2)? (Since they handed over someone else’s ticket, not “their” ticket!).

Or S5(3)a of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 .....

by going through the barriers on to the platform are they “attempting to travel” (even if they then change their mind!).

The S5(3)a requires “intent to avoid their fare”, but using their spouse’s season ticket would suffice to show this.

So, the OP changed their mind, but a prosecutor could ask “what was the intent for going through the barriers, up until the point they changed their mind”.

from OP's statement

I stated he was aware of me having his ticket
could byelaw 21(2) also be applicable re receiving and intent?

on what are they being 'prosecuted' (threatened with)?

When i arrived waterloo,

i was planning to take 5;45 train then there’s a train home leaving in one minute.

I just dashed to the platform but missed the train.

Then I decided to leave the platform to see where the next train is and got stuck at the gate.

Walked up the inspector and asked them to open the gate.

My husband couldn’t believe how stupid i was and ended up telling them what happened all.

But I cannot lie or you can put it i am stupid.

I honestly didn’t think I would end up putting myself in this mess for being brutally honest.

The inspector took all the details down and showed me the way out.

There’s I bought my ticket home

I said to the inspector my husband was aware of me having his ticket but i took his ticket without his consent.

Only told him once i was on the train.

It was my work Christmas party but I didn’t feel well ended up leaving work early.

Wish i just went to the party but i have a nora virus now... arghhh

Edited by Apark

ok,

i was just wondering on what they are going on, given the posts and you saying that you actually told them you took your halfs ticket (with knowledge) and had used it earlier (intent?).

what have they said you are actually being pursued on, ie on what grounds?

I told him my husband knew i have his ticket but didn’t mean he gave it to me.

I have a text to prove if they are interested..

.i am not a native English speaker so I interpreted his question was asking me if he knew if i have his ticket and the answer was yes.

He didn’t ask me many questions and didn’t give me any chance to say anything either

on what grounds/reason did they formally say that they are/will be pursuing you on.

or is it just still in the air at the moment, awaiting something formal to happen.

He said it is not his job telling me what will happen...but gave me a card with his id with revenue protection written on it.

He took all my details and took my husband season ticket.

It has only one week left but he is wondering if he can renew...

I think id be awaiting their letter IF one comes they have 6mts.

he can renew at any time.

and they

The case in this thread has clear parallels with the Appeal Court case of Arthur Browning (1946). Convicted of attempting to avoid payment of his fare by using his spouse's season ticket contrary to Section 5(3)(a) of The Regulation of Railways Act [1889].

Appealed, and appeal rejected.

The Appeal Court decided that whilst the rail company may not have lost any money, the traveller had not paid THEIR fare

thank you.

As much as i hope for the best, I would not be surprised to see a correspondent from swt summons me to the court. I know what i did was wrong. Just wait and ser what they say. Will keep you posted

no you always get a tell us your side of the story letter first.

dx

and they

no you always get a tell us your side of the story letter first.

dx

Yes, dx100uk is right, the first thing you will get normally is a 'verification letter'.

If an offence is evidenced they can move straight to Summons, but it is never really in anyone's interest to do so.

You'll get a letter seeking your version of events and although this is serious, it is not completely beyond the realms of possibility that you may be able to avoid a Court appearance.

Will they compare the note from the inspector with my story?

I didn’t tell him anything but only facts, ie it is my husband ticket and i used it in the morning and intended to use in the evening by entering the platform using the ticket. I knew i did wrong and didn’t see the point of telling him excuses. I didn’t see what the inspector wrote

Hmmm i wish i read it but just wanted to leave the area asap.

An excuse but i have had a nora virus and just wanted to get home asap. I wont state this in the letter. Just hope the inspector only wrote down facts.

Just hope the inspector only wrote down facts.

What do you expect them to write down?. Of course they write down the facts. If it goes to court and it can be shown they have written down falsehoods, it would look very bad for them.

Facts could include "the passenger stated to me that "blah, blah", or "When questioned if they intended to travel without having paid their fare, the passenger replied "'blah, blah'".

If those are truthful statements, they are facts .............

Will they compare the note from the inspector with my story?

I didn’t tell him anything but only facts, ie it is my husband ticket and i used it in the morning and intended to use in the evening by entering the platform using the ticket. I knew i did wrong and didn’t see the point of telling him excuses. I didn’t see what the inspector wrote

Well, if you only told the inspector the truth, and only tell the truth in your "story", you won't have to worry when they compare them, as there won't be contradictions. There may be more detail in your written reply, but it still won't contradict, if both times you stick / stuck to the facts ......