ARC & Bannatynes demanding monies

Sparky6669
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Never done one on these before so not sure how to begin.

I joined Bannatyne's on a 12 month contract for the gym

I think I may have been 6 months within my contract

and then due to relocation I wanted to cancel my contract.

I sent bannatynes an email on the 16th April expressing I was relocating therefore out of courtesy I would make one final payment in May of £35 and cancel my direct debit.

I had an email saying I could freeze my account or pass my membership on,

but no one wants to buy a contract for a gym from someone & I was in no position to freeze my account.

I then received a telephone call from my local branch at bannatynes where they asked about my direct debit

I explained I paid 1 month notice and cancelled it due to relocation

I was informed in the call that my account would be closed and no further monies would be required due to my relocation I was even wish the best in my travels.

Thought nothing more of it,

over a year down the line and ACR contact me saying I owe £255.

I asked for them to retrieve telephone recordings,

they wouldn’t,

they told me to contact bannatynes and pay £10 under an act.

Bannatyne’s have already told me they don’t have branch telephone recordings.

ACR advised if I provided proof of relocation that the fees would be waived.

I provided a letter from my cousin to show of my temporary relocation - still not good enough.

Due to the relocation being temporary I had no bills in my name.

I was quite upset I’d put my faith in to a bannatynes staff member and now this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Ignore ignore and ignore some more. They can't touch you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Can i just add ARC dont physically own the "debt"

Also did you check the T&Cs on the gym agreement... If you moved do they let you out of the contract??

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

moved to the gym forum.

as stated

ignore them

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and has

NO LEGAL POWERS WHATSOVER

on ANY TYPE DEBT.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I had obviously spoken to them when I got the letter but you think from now on ignore them?

Iv done so much research on it and people say ignore it then others say don’t so thought I’d give it ago on here!

Then people tell me about I might go to court over 🤦🏼*♀️

Can i just add ARC dont physically own the "debt"

Also did you check the T&Cs on the gym agreement... If you moved do they let you out of the contract??

They said if I could provide evidence of relocating 15 miles away from a bannatynes gym they would waive the fee.

They didn’t say how I could provide this evidence so I sent them a letter signed by the person I stayed with - not good enough they then decided it had to be a bill of some sort.

Not sure where you've been

But gyms have not done court in +5yrs now

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Sparky and welcome to CAG

My inclination is to write to ARC just once setting out the basics, so you can be seen to have done the right thing. You should also copy this to Bannatynes telling them to call off ARC or you'll make formal complaints about harassment.

Before I go on :-

1. How far from the gym did you move when you relocated.

2. Do you have your copy of the email sent to the gym in May, and their email reply.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi!

1. I moved to Plymouth where there is no bannatynes in site but it was between travelling from my home address and to Plymouth so very much temporary and no time to go to the gym with commuting.

This was what I sent bannatynes

“I am writing to you, to cancel my membership with Bannatynes as of 20/04/16. I am unfortunately relocating to another country where you can not provide the facilities or membership for me anymore. Therefore please take this email as my cancellation and I will cancel the direct debit after the next payment in May 2016.”

I can’t even find the reply anywhere on email other than this one they sent me a couple of weeks back when they said they sent me it.

As you are aware the contract agreed to upon joining 27th November 2016 is for a minimum period of 12 months with a cancellation period of 1 complete calendar month written notice which may be given after the 11th month of membership, therefore we are

10 unable to cancel memberships within this term.

12 However in light of the correspondence received and as a gesture of goodwill we will authorise for the transfer of your membership to another person.

14 The above is subject to all membership fees being up to date (and the potential member is over the age of 18 years and not currently a member of a Bannatyne Health Club). The potential member is also required to pay the current joining fee which will be a

15 minimum of £20.00. Our xxxx Health Club will happily arrange this transfer for you once you have provided us with the name and date of birth of the potential member.

17 As a further gesture of goodwill, we will reduce the remaining contractual amount by 20% and therefore a settlement of £203.38 is offered to cancel your membership with immediate effect.

19 This offer is applicable for a period of 14 days and if accepted must be paid within that time. If this should be declined or unpaid your membership and fees payable will continue as

28 Another option we could offer is that we are able to offer a freezing facility as a gesture of goodwill which would be for a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 6 months.

30 Freeze periods are charged at £6.00 per month, per person.

32 If you are within your initial contract any freeze period will extend your initial contract by the length of the freeze period and any outstanding fees would be required to be brought up to date.

34 Should you wish to continue with your freeze request please confirm in writing/email to ourselves no later than the 20th of the month so we may process this for you.

35 Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hi Sparky,

Transferring the m/ship to a 3rd party is nonsense and you have no obligation to even try to do this.

I'm not sure why the numbering is showing in your post above but never mind that.

Is it true that you relocated to another country ? Or did you mean county ?

No need to reply to ARC until we have all the info needed to give you the best advice.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi,

Thank you for your help really appreciate this.

I moved to another county which was 15 miles away from a bannatynes gym

as it was only temporary over 2 months I didn’t have anything hard evidence to proof I moved there other than a letter.

I did go away to Thailand but that was only for a short period of time as I didn’t like it.

ARC haven’t told me i have to pay this money by a set date or anything either which I find strange

how can they demand money but not tell you when you’ve got to pay it by?

Thank you :)

When you told the gym you were cancelling due to moving to another county, did you tell them anything about this being a temporary move ?

No I didn’t tell them this was temporary,

as far as they know I was relocating

when I spoke to a member of their staff at the branch

I just said I was relocating

she wished me all the best

said she would get it cancelled

- silly me for listening to that

You're not silly at all - you just took the gym's word at face value.

Typed letter (not email) to ARC and get free Certificate of Posting at the PO when sending :-

Dear ARC (Europe) Ltd,

I refer to my m/ship at Bannatynes gym in [Town/City].

I told the gym by email I had to cancel due to relocation and that I'd pay a final fee for the notice period before cancelling the DD mandate.

After the DD was cancelled, I spoke to the gym and they said all was fine and the matter was closed.

If you continue to make demands for gym fees or your own admin fees, I will make formal complaints to the gym's Head Office, The CMA and Trading Standards about your harassing me.

Yours sincerely,

Keep us posted .............

Hi,

Thank you for your advice,

I sent the letter yesterday recorded delivery and probably due to the time of year they won’t get it until next week or even the new year.

They sent me an email yesterday saying

“my account with bannatynes has been transferred to ARC for account management please get in contact as soon as possible to make payment”

Do I ignore this and only deal with them in writing via mail?

ofcourse

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and has

ABSOLUTELY NO LEGAL POWERS ON ANY DEBT TO ANYONE.

and they

Hi Sparky

Yup, just ignore this until you get a specific reply to the letter you sent to ARC in post in post #15 above.

Reply to nothing until you update us.

And ensure you embarrass the gym on social media, let everyone know just how customers can expect to be treated should they dare attempt at leaving the gym.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

never email these people, they will just harass you for free.

Hi,

Thank you for your advice,

I sent the letter yesterday recorded delivery and probably due to the time of year they won’t get it until next week or even the new year.

They sent me an email yesterday saying

“my account with bannatynes has been transferred to ARC for account management please get in contact as soon as possible to make payment”

Do I ignore this and only deal with them in writing via mail?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

They received my letter I sent on the 28th December.

They have tried ringing my house phone on countless occasions.

I have blocked the number.

Just waiting for them to contact me back in writing.

They always seem to get in contact on a Friday just before the weekend lol!

Thank you everyone!!

It's a good idea to keep a log of the time and type of all contact attempts by ARC to report them if necessary.

Ignore all payment demands and requests that you contact them - more empty threats.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no case. Its just silly DCA's sending out threatograms hoping youll fall for it. They get bored eventually and go and chase someone else.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

been here a month now and you've not read one other gym thread

CAG is self help too!!

and they