Hair transplant covered by section 75?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Just after a bit of advice. I have heading out to Turkey next week for a hair transplant.

The operation will be in Turkey but the company gethair.co.uk has an office in London which deals with all of the admin and signing up new customers aswell as having a UK bank account.

The question is if I paid £100 of the balance on a UK credit card, would I be covered for any shoddy or poor service received in Istanbul. Since the company I have dealt with up until now is technically UK based?

Appreciate any thoughts on this :)

thanks

procedure is covered but you need to make sure who is providing the service,

the UK co or are they just a go-between and you pay someone else?

If the latter then the answer is amost certainly no as not a UK contract and then you are stuffed.

Is gethair licenced with the FCA as a deposit taker?

caveat emptor probably applies in this grey world

The Deposit taker was

"GLOBAL MEDICAL ASSISTANCE LTD.

Company number 08899061"

Registered office address

52, Upper Street Upper Street, Business Design Centre - Suite 111n, London, N1 0QH

Company status

Active

Company type

Private limited Company

Incorporated on

17 February 2014

not sure if they are FCA registered will try and find out :)

I can't think why gethair uk or Global Medical would be a FCA regulated deposit taker.

An regulated deposit taker is a type of banking institution.

Nothing to do with deposits for a non-financial service or product.

More likely they are just acting as UK agent for the Turkish company that is providing the actual service.

s75 doesn't require the contract to be a UK contract.

This is what FOS website says:

The same rules for coverage under section 75 apply to credit card transactions made abroad as for credit card transactions made in the UK. But the sterling equivalent of the price must still be within the £100 to £30,000 limits.

Some more complex purchase contracts made abroad may specifically say that the underlying contract is governed by the law of another country. This could affect the consumer's ability to claim against the supplier (and, therefore, to claim under section 75).

procedure is covered but you need to make sure who is providing the service, the UK co or are they just a go-between and you pay someone else? If the latter then the answer is amost certainly no as not a UK contract and then you are stuffed.

it seems a go between.

their brief online terms saying; hair contract is with the 'service provider', they only 'facilitate', read the service providers terms, and exempting themselves re any negligence/malpractice re the provider etc.

it doesn't seem to say which law governs

who and how much have you paid so far.

gethair says their deposit is 500,

have you paid anything to the 'service provider', the chap on their website.

they also operate a number of businesses doing the same thing, but diff names etc

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

who and how much have you paid so far.

gethair says their deposit is 500,

have you paid anything to the 'service provider', the chap on their website.

I have paid the £500 deposit which was done via a direct debit using Gocardless website , payment went to Global Medical, which is a UK registered company according to companies house, still have £2700 left to pay

if you're going to pay anything over 100, use a credit card!

do you pay all of the treatment to the uk co., who then pays the 'service provider' on your behalf

thats the issue, for some card protection if things go wrong.

you've already done 500 without a card.

i was wondering how 'involved' this global are. the more involved they are, the more they could be held to account if things go wrong with the so called 'service provider' despite their attempts to exclude liability.

hopefully though, you'll have a problem free new 'Rooney' for the money :) (though apparently he still needs further treatment for a fuller crop)

thats the issue, for some card protection if things go wrong.

you've already done 500 without a card.

i was wondering how 'involved' this global are. the more involved they are, the more they could be held to account if things go wrong with the so called 'service provider' despite their attempts to exclude liability.

hopefully though, you'll have a problem free new 'Rooney' for the money :) (though apparently he still needs further treatment for a fuller crop)

haha i guess we will see ill do the £100 on credit card at the clinic and the rest as normal, atleast i can then argue if i need to undr section 75

yes saw rooney needs more but thats because he had it done too young and the hairs that hadnt yet fallen out will continue to do so, so he will probably continue to need transplants until his natural hair loss cycle finishes :) I have the benefit on being 40 and have shed most of whats likely to come out so fingers crossed I wont need another ! although at Turkish prices its easilly affordable :)

this points to me as you are paying a third party and so are NOT covered by s75 as they are not providing the goods or service. It is like paying paypal for goods bought from another party, Paypal have no liability and you cant use s75 as you havent paid the supplier directly.

I have paid the £500 deposit which was done via a direct debit using Gocardless website , payment went to Global Medical, which is a UK registered company according to companies house, still have £2700 left to pay