style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2323 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. We and our neighbor have a shared roof, also the roof it’s at an angle, he’s at the highest point, we are lower. Last year we had a leak, we called a roofer to check and he wanted to check neighbors loft, he didn’t agree. We fixed everything on our side, now we have a leak again, our roofer said it’s defiantly them, but again, they don’t want to let anyone up there.

What can we do? We contacted the council but both properties are freehold.

Thank you

He's got to let workers look at it.

I suggest as first step to check if he's got a mortgage from the land registry £3 record.

Most times you'll find the name of the bank with interests on the property in the record.

Contact them and let them know that the two properties will rot if not repaired.

You could also contact your home insurance and let them do the dirty work (if you have it).

Failing that, it's a matter of common sense.

I would personally get the workers to fix his part of the roof from the outside because water destroys things very quickly and a few pounds spent now will prevent a large expense later..

Unless we're talking about a non standard construction, the roof can be fixed from outside.

He can moan as much as he wants, once the roofer is up there, there's no much he can do.

He's got to let workers look at it.

I suggest as first step to check if he's got a mortgage from the land registry £3 record.

Most times you'll find the name of the bank with interests on the property in the record.

Contact them and let them know that the two properties will rot if not repaired.

You could also contact your home insurance and let them do the dirty work (if you have it).

Failing that, it's a matter of common sense.

I would personally get the workers to fix his part of the roof from the outside because water destroys things very quickly and a few pounds spent now will prevent a large expense later..

Unless we're talking about a non standard construction, the roof can be fixed from outside.

He can moan as much as he wants, once the roofer is up there, there's no much he can do.

Thank you

They don’t have a mortgage, they said they lived there since the house was build, they are old.

Problem is that we need to pay for a scar folding witch is about £1000 , plus repairs... to go up the roof, witch we did last year, spend £2500 to do our roof and house inside cause In our bedroom the ceilling was damaged , we can’t spend that money again... and also when the roofer gone up there, their roof is full of mos and they need to clean it first or go from inside

We think they might have something to hide and they don’t want us to see.

Can we take them to court?

Taking them to court without evidence that their roof is affecting yours would be just a waste of money.

I would get a roofer to clear the moss in the area where the two roofs meet and check if any tiles are cracked, missing or broken.

You don't need scaffolding to do this if you live in a standard house downstairs /upstairs.

If you then find a problem you can claim your money back, however, i would be happy to spend a couple of hundred to keep my house dry.

As said, water destroys everything very quickly.

you will need the roof fixed regardless of whose bit is causing the damage. Get it sorted and sue the silly old buggers afterwards if you have evidence that it is all their doing.

No roof needs access from the inside many dont have an attic so there is no access.

Go to a different roofer as the one you have used so far clearly has his own agenda. use a trusted tradespersons site to find one, they have insurance to protect you from dodgy ones. There are several different web companies that run these schemes and I have found them to be equally reliable in their ratings systems.