Debt Collection Harassment

evensis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Had a persistent problem with multiple debt agencies over the last 4 years in particular constantly calling my mobile phone.

Within a week of getting the number,

I was getting debt collection agencies calling asking for a woman (obviously the numbers previous owner) as she owed just over a couple of hundred quid.

I call them, tell them that they have the wrong number, they usually ignore the first time, 2nd or 3rd call usually stops the phone calls. UNTIL! :-x

The problem is,

these blasted debt agencies seem to sell the debt,

and I get a new debt collection agency contacting me yearly.

Call them, get peace and quiet for half a year or so, debt gets sold, and back to square one again!

Currently, it's PRA Group, who are enjoying literally riddling my voicemail inbox asking it to press option 1 (blocked the number on my phone).

It's also making it a pain in the backside to filter through for genuine voicemails.

Now to be quite frank,

I'm sick and tired of having to call these companies to get some peace and quiet.

And have not rung up the number as this will be another set of 2 or 3 phone calls to say get lost.

As they say, time is money, and to be quite frank, it feels like I am being harassed now.

I feel almost inclined to send in an invoice for my time dealing with this debt that has precisely nothing to do with me! :mad2:

It's become quite evident, that regardless of phone calls to get the debt collectors to stop calling,

this will go on as long as I have the phone number due to the industry practice of selling the debts.

My real question is,

what kind of recourse do I have to get these to stop?

Ultimately, this toxic asset needs to be written off before I'm left alone as far as I can tell.

Surely they have to have some form of an onus to prove the person they are contacting is the debtor, before contacting?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Just to add, changing my phone number is obviously the first idea, but in all fairness, why the hell should I have to?

Edited by evensis

This is a mobile phone and a woman owned it previously to you ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

So do you know this woman...and the debt ? its just a bit confusing...as for the DCAs....the more you ring them the more calls you get...always ignore

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I have no idea who the woman is (the surname sounds French at least), and no idea what the debt relates to. One of the debt agencies on the automated messages was speaking out the outstanding debt, so the only reason I know how much it is for.

Ahh okay, will avoid calling them!

Ignoring them is the only option, these powerless clowns previously flipped burgers for a living.

Whoever your network provider is needs to be given short shrift, either get a new sim card, or get a new network provider.

Check your credit file also.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

OP is a victim of number recycling where the mobile operators recycle numbers usually PAYG that have not been topped up and have been cancelled. Might be worth having a go at the Mobile Operator to demand they contact the DCA and have the number removed as the debtor was their ex customer. had something similar myself with a work mobile. First call was for a previous user of the number by Tossendales (DCA arm not bailiff)

Thinking laterally, you could report the DCA to ICO for DPA breach as in providing you. third party, with the previous holder's debt details.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Report PRA Group to Ofcom - they have been advised the number is no longer owned by the debtor so they should cease and desist all attempts to contact the debtor on that number.

Register with TPS (Google it).

Failing that consider changing your number and threaten your GSM provider with cancelling the contract if they give you another recycled number.