Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder LeeseN Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Dec 2017

Default Tupe Question

Hi All

I am about to be TUPE'd from a private company to the NHS.
    I don't have a problem with this but my main concern is that as part of my current contract I have a company car as i travel between sites.
    No one seems to be able to tell me what will happen regarding this as I cannot afford to buy my own car and I cannot get a loan as I am in my final year of an IVA.
    I know the NHS don't have their own cars, but they do run a salary sacrifice scheme. Would I be provided with one under this?
    I live over 50 miles away from work, so getting into work on public transport is not an option.
    I've asked the question to several people, but no one can help me. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks
    Leese

Basic Account Holder Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative

Cagger since : Nov 2016

You really will have to ask them, as different trusts run different schemes. They are certainly under no obligation to provide a car for you because you live a long distance from your workplace. Broadly speaking, few public sector employers provide cars these days, and only pay mileage allowances for work related travel. Some may, from time to time, offer salary sacrifice schemes to purchase a car - one local to me did so for hybrid purchases recently - but these often aren't continuous schemes, and only run for limited periods.

If your workplace has changed as a result of the TUPE, you may be able to get some limited assistance costs for travel to work, but not the cost of a car.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    GrumpyToSayTheLeast Informative GrumpyToSayTheLeast Informative GrumpyToSayTheLeast Informative GrumpyToSayTheLeast Informative GrumpyToSayTheLeast Informative

Cagger since : Sep 2014

Default Re: Tupe Question

I was led to believe that on a tupe, anything that formed part of your contract before the takeover remained part of your contract. So if the op has a contract that states that a company car is part of their benefit package, should this not be carried over?

Basic Account Holder Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative Sangie595 Highly informative

And does it form part of the contract? And even if it does- it can still be changed for various lawful reasons. First point, as I said, is ask the question...

Thanks for the replies. It doès form part of my contract and it's not just because i live some distance away. I have to travel between sites during business hours. I have asked several times and no one seems to know!

Royalties Account Holder ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative ericsbrother Authoritative

Cagger since : Nov 2012

does your current company own the car or lease it? Probably the latter so it may be possible to come to an arrangement with the soon to be ex-employer and the leasing co.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeseN View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It doès form part of my contract and it's not just because i live some distance away. I have to travel between sites during business hours. I have asked several times and no one seems to know!
    Well if it is definitely a contractual benefit - and be sure that it is, because the wording is important, and what people think is contractual often isn't - then the new employer will have to consider their options. It is certainly possible to change a contract on TUPE. People often think that TUPE protects their terms and conditions for ever and a day. That isn't true. TUPE protects terms at the point of the transfer. Immediately after that an employer can begin to change terms by claiming economic, technical or organisational grounds. Later than that, there is a grey area at which point the courts consider that the protections no longer really apply because too much time has passed, and nothing can be preserved for ever. But in the latter case, that's a court ruling, because there no hard guidance or law on it.

I suspect that you may find that the use of a company vehicle during working hours or for work purposes is one possible option. Broadly speaking the NHS doesn't have company cars, but it does have fleet vehicles. Providing you with one of these might be their escape clause, but that wouldn't mean you could use it for travel to and from work. The other option could, conceivably, be to either enforce a contractual change, or even to reorganize the service to make your role redundant and create one that does not have the same benefits. Their options would depend on many factors we don't know, like the service requirement, the exact contractual wording, their organisational approach.... I don't suppose you are in a union? Because this would have been the time to be in one...

Thanks everyone. I am in a union but they are not very helpful! Thanks for all the replies. We do have a meeting about this coming up so hopefully I will get some answers! Thanks for the information it's been really useful

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2009

Please let us know how you get one, Leese.

HB

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee13 View Post
    Please let us know how you get one, Leese.

HB
    I will do. Thank you

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details