Power of Attorney & Co-op Bank

gncem
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have found myself with a new problem.

My Mother who is 82 years old went into residential care with advanced Dementia 6 weeks ago. I was her registered Carer, I helped with her finances but when she went into care I could no longer afford the minimum payments on her credit card. I notified the Co-operative Bank explaining the situation, sent a copy of the Mental Health form completed by her GP and a copy of the Power of Attorney. The Co-op are now requesting I take an original certified copy of the POA into a Branch, the nearest being in another town, before they can speak to me.

I am doing my best to sort everything out and am grief stricken, Mum lived with me, has no assets or savings and the care home is being funded by the Local Authority.

As a POA holder am I now responsible for her debt? and any advice what I should do would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Hello there, I'm sorry to hear about your Mum.

I had the same thing when my mother went into a care home with dementia, Lloyds Bank insisted on seeing the original POA. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found a way round this.

I don't think you're responsible for your Mum's debt.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

As a POA holder am I now responsible for her debt? and any advice what I should do would be very much appreciated.

Absolutely NOT NO!!

Sorry to hear of your mums poor health, this is a truly horrific time for you, and the last thing you need is these vultures giving you the run around.

I'd simply tell them IN WRITING, that their attitude is unacceptable and they need to accept the evidence you have given them or they will receive no further correspondence from you.

Lodge a formal complaint with the bank, again in writing, AND for speed, via email if they allow it?

You can always email the CEO and cut out the organ grinders.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you honeybee that certainly helps. Copy POA's have been sufficient for all other bodies needing to see it, but for some reason the Banks wont accept copies even though you can see the validation at the bottom of each page.

Thank you honeybee that certainly helps. Copy POA's have been sufficient for all other bodies needing to see it, but for some reason the Banks wont accept copies even though you can see the validation at the bottom of each page.

Because they're a law unto themselves! Don't forget they bankrupted the country.

Having a more measured think about it, I'd do as they have demanded, then STOP paying them.

Your mum, godbless her, isn't going to be worried about her credit file, and there is little they can do as mum has no assets.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks Boo

That is a relief, I will respond to them today, I even sent them a copy of the original letter accompanying the POA stating it had been registered with the reference no but it wasn't good enough.

Thanks Boo

That is a relief, I will respond to them today, I even sent them a copy of the original letter accompanying the POA stating it had been registered with the reference no but it wasn't good enough.

Yep, truly morally bankrupt, soooo out of touch with reality. Makes my teeth itch!

Do it under duress, and ensure, when you have the time, that you make them aware of just how far from reality they are, and still act with near impunity.

Hi,

I know in Scotland it states on the Original Power of Attorney...."Copies of this document certified on each page in accordance with S.3 of the Powers of Attorney Act are as valid as the original document".

Looking at this 'link' I'd think the same applies in the rest of the UK.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/27

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

you can certify it yourself by writing on it "I certify this is a true copy of the (paperwork) dated (whatever)" then sign and date it. Some companies think that it has to be a solicitor who certifies these, not so.

They dont woory about upsetting the customer because there are lots of those but only 1 regulator so they do things that go beyond what is asked for to make this demigod happy even when he isnt speaking to them

No you are not responsible for your mother's debts. Under a POA you manage your mothers financial affairs, you don't become responsible for them.

I'm bemused by all the posters who think it's outrageous for a bank to ask to see the original of a document, especially one that gives another person complete control over the accounts of their customer. Financial institutions routinely require to see the original of documents or copies certified by a solicitor. Not only POA but any other documents they require to prove ID - passport etc. I have POA for my mother and every bank and financial institution I deal with requested the original, do did the DWP, the local council, just about everyone I have had to deal with needs to see the original or solicitor certified copy - even EDF Energy to discuss her electricity bill.

Personally if it was my money that someone else was being given control of I'd be delighted to know that the bank was insisting on seeing original documents.