style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

I tried to take about £30 of shopping from Waitrose today.

I know I'm an idiot (hence the username) I'm not doing it again, I've been scared about it and want to just move on.

I'm worried about the civil recovery thing.

I admitted to having taken something before on one occasion from Waitrose and so they gave me a lifelong ban.

They didn't contact the police but they scanned my ID and took a photo of my face.

I got given a letter from RPL.

What legal advice do I need to get?

They told me I will get a fine 'probably around £100'.

When will I get this letter, does anyone know?

what happens now?

The letter says at the bottom:

'In principle the Data Protection Act 1998 does not prevent the use of data for civil recovery and employment screening purposes...

Your personal data may be stored and used by prospective employers within client companies to make employment decisions...'

What does this mean realistically?

I think I might want to work with kids as a teacher

- will this stop me from being able to?

Any help is appreciated.

you found the right forum.

now go read any RLP thread you see here

bottom line is you TOATLLY IGNORE THEM>

its NOT A FINE

there is no database - its totally fictitious.

they have zero legal powers

and they have zero legal powers whatsoever to share their data

even if they do hold it with anyone.

once again

IGNORE TOTALLY ..end of.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nothing can happen

just scary letters

there is no better way that you go READ RLP threads here

in the forum you found to post your thread in.

everything is answered 1001 times in just about each one

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?236-Retail-loss-Prevention-Other-shoplifting-allegations.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nothing to do with waitrose

RLP

and they

Hi and welcome.

Before you do anything, stop stealing! If you don't stop, whatever we say will have no meaning.

Waitrose are just the same as other stores when it comes to security. Once apprehended, they get the goods back and pass your details over to RLP. That is the point Waitrose forget about you (apart from the ban)

From that time onwards, you will deal with RLP. RLP go for security costs as the goods were recovered. Waitrose security costs are already factored into the price people pay at the till so these costs cannot be claimed for hence the reason Waitrose pass it on to RLP.

RLP have absolutely no power over you. They cannot take court action against you so all they can do is send the scary letters. These mean nothing. Once they have exhausted their template letters, they pass the alleged debt on to a debt collector who can do even less than RLP so it is quite safe to ignore them too.

The ONLY party who can take action is Waitrose. All they could ever claim at court are their losses and as they got the goods back, they suffered no loss. They cannot go for security costs either so there is no claim.

I advice that you read the following,

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?356933-Oxford-Retail-Loss-Prevention-A-Retailer-**-reveiwed-September-2015-**&p=3898857&viewfull=1#post3898857

This case is the reason no other court cases have been mooted for over 5 years.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

You realise that by entering the store after a life ban you were a trespasser?

And, that by entering as a trespasser and stealing : it isn’t “just shoplifting”, but instead burglary, potentially a much more serious offence?

Let's not go into that territory. It will only confuse the issue. We can stick to the main points.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Let's not go into that territory. It will only confuse the issue. We can stick to the main points.

But I only got the ban after the £30 thing. Therefore if I go in again, then I’m a trespasser, but not before...

But I only got the ban after the £30 thing. Therefore if I go in again, then I’m a trespasser, but not before...

True : I read it as “I got caught before, and given a life ban then”, not

“I owned up to having shoplifted (& not been caught!) before”.

I’m all for honesty (like not shoplifting!), but why on earth would someone want to make such an admission whilst you were under no obligation to do so. You could have just declined to answer if asked!

Don't worry about the trespass as you won't be going back to the shop, will you??

I applaud being honest in speaking to people (Does my bum look fat in this dress. Nope, you have a fat bum!) however, you have the right not to say anything, especially self incrimination. You won't be doing it again so any point made is now moot.

Going back to this alleged database that can be seen by employers. RLP claim they have a database of 'alleged' shoplifters. As such potential employers can see the data but ONLY if you give your permission. Also, as this database is of alleged shoplifters, they may run into trouble if they disclose information that isn't true. You are either a shoplifter punished by the criminal courts or you are not. There is no middle ground. RLP could open themselves up to Data Protection issues if they disclose information that isn't true.

From next year, there will be a new system of data protection coming into force and I will wait patiently to see what effect it will have with RLP.

All you have to do for now is ignore any letters.

You may want to read up on this as well as your actions past and future may have an effect you will not want..

Section 176 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

You may want to read up on this as well as your actions past and future may have an effect you will not want..

Section 176 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014

That is true but only IF the police get involved and in recent times, the police don't even bother with shoplifting acts where the value is less than £100. Where a shoplifter is a repeat offender and is known to the police then I would hope that they see this through to the magistrates court.

The OP said the police were not involved and as far as I am aware, shops don't share intelligence with the police so the chances of getting 'lifted' in THIS case is very low to non existent. As you know, we at CAG will never say shoplifting is OK but the likes of RLP are our target and their unlawful claims. So long as a shoplifter states that they will not steal anymore, we help but when we get a cocky so and so who boasts about the life of crime, they get nothing.