Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder
    Do you record your calls?
    You'll regret it if you don't.
    Aaron85 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Nov 2017

Default GP wants to charge me £30 for a letter

I got a voicemail from my doctors’ receptionist saying I have a document waiting for me to be collected.
    Had no idea what this could have been.

Went to the doctors after work, and the receptionist hands me a letter, and says it will be £30 please.

I remember that I had a medical form from my bank which I gave to the doctors to fill out back in September.
    But I never returned the form to my bank, and the bank just moved on, without ever asking for it back.

When I handed in the letter to the doctors, the doctors never mentioned there would be a charge for it.
    Plus, it’s been 3 months since I handed the form in.
    I have no need for the form now.
    Can I just forget about the form and move on?

I don’t want to pay for it as I have no need for it.
    I should not have to pay for the letter because I was never told there would be a fee, and it’s been 3 months, which is ridiculous.

If they keep calling me about the payment, I can easily switch to a different GP. Had been thinking about it anyway.

Would they write to my address requesting the payment? How far can this go?

Basic Account Holder
    think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative

Cagger since : Jan 2014

Default Re: GP wants to charge me £30 for a letter

Hi Aaron, Iím a GP practice manager - quick answer is yes they can and should charge, private work isnít covered by the NHS and itís not for the practice to decide whether or not you still need/want that which youíve requested without your say so. In effect itís a bit like ordering food in a restaurant, having someone cook it and deciding you no longer want it as the server brings it to the table.

Thereís some guidance here on why we charge for some things: https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employ...ps-charge-fees

In terms of how far theyíll take things? Well, it wonít impact your NHS care but I wouldnít expect them to engage in any further private work without things being settled. Would I personally chase £30 - yes although I wouldnít necessarily start a small claimicon. Chances are itís been sitting ready for you to collect for some time now and theyíre clearing out the documents drawer.

Basic Account Holder
    Aaron85 Novitiate

Cagger since : Nov 2017

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

My gripe with them is that they never informed me of the charge. I genuinlly thought it would be a free service, paid for on the NHS. If they had told me at the time that it would cost me £30, I would have told them to forget it, and informed my bank that I would not be paying for the letter.

Considering they never told me the fee, I shouldn't be forced to pay up for it I'd assume.

Basic Account Holder
    think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative think about it Authoritative

Cagger since : Jan 2014

Aaron, sorry for the delay in replying. I canít really speculate on what was / wasnít said at the time. Nevertheless, many practices have a pricelist up in reception and on their website for these things. Unfortunately the NHS doesnít cover banking and insurance and someone has taken the time to complete work that you requested quite often we end up doing these things at a time where weíve supposedly finished for the day or are supposed to be getting something to eat as we donít let private work impact on our commitment to the NHS and seeing patients. So I canít really advise you to pay or not, you need to decide that for yourself Iím afraid.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details