Faulty conservatory blinds

Paul1954
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all.

At the end of October we had some Perfect Fit double pleated blinds fitted by a local company. 7 small windows and 9 large.

A couple of weeks later I noticed one of the large ones was written on in biro along the top outside - lots of measurements! - which they took back and rectified.

We paid extra for these type because each pleat forms a diamond shaped pocket when viewed from the side. The idea being it traps air inside for insulation from heat and cold.

Last week I noticed that, on the outside, 5 of the 9 large blinds were coming away from the end fittings.

I also noticed that on the outside of ALL the large blinds the pleats were flat, as if pulled tight, along two thirds of their length, forming 'half a diamond'. On the inside they were all fine? The 7 small blinds are fine inside and out.

I took photos and went to show them.

They arranged to take the 5 blinds for repair.

I pointed out the pleats being flat outside but not inside and was told,

'That's how they all are. Mine are the same.'

Today, their fitter came and took the 5 back.

I pointed out the flat pleats.

I said they'd see for themselves when he got them to the shop.

I said not only were they inefficient at insulation because they were mostly flat, but they also looked terrible.

I copied this from a site explaining the purpose of these type of blinds -

Double pleated fabric - Honeycomb, cellular and double pleated are all names for blinds that have pockets of air.

These air pockets help to insulate your windows, keeping warm air in and cold air out.

They rang later to say they'll refit tomorrow.

No mention of them all being flat.

I won't be there tomorrow when they come, but my wife will.

I have no doubt they will try and fob her off saying there's nothing wrong with them.

We paid almost £1000 for them. Not cheap!

We didn't notice the faults earlier because when it gets dusk we close the blinds.

They're opened again when we get up so it's not something that we see every day.

So... do I write to them, rejecting the blinds unless they remedy the flat pleats problem.

When that gets me nowhere, do I write giving them 14 days to refund my money?

Then... the small claims court?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Paul

PS I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this problem, or if your blinds are 'Perfect' inside and out.

well, it sounds as thoug the material isnt settling out evenly when the blinds are drawn down so some are stretching and others remaing tightly together.

Now I have seen the adverst as well and would say that they are not as described and not fit for purpose, the purpose ebing to create these air pockets not just stop people peering in. Blackout blinds would set you back about £150 for the same so it is obvious that you are apying for something more than that. I would be telling not to bother as they are clearly not up to scratch and you want a refund under your consumer rights.

I would say they fail on every part of the old requirements of the SOGA which has been replaced, they are not of mercantable quality ( they came apart) and not fit for purpose (honeycomb insulation doesnt work in normal use).

How did you pay for them? You may be eligible for a recharge via your debit card, the bank will be used to this but not necessarily helpful as they have a liability to refund whist it is being argued about. Let the company know in writing that you ar rejecting the goods as faulty and expect a refund. Us pen and paper,not email.

Thank you very much for your clear and structured reply.

I will be highlighting your points to them.

I did pay by debit card so I'll look into that if need be.

Tomorrow I'll go see them and point all this out.

After that, depending on their response, I'll start putting a letter together.

Thanks once again.

Paul