DWP Bank Statement requests

christopherlaw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They ask me for 3 months regularily, just had one yesterday for a rapid reclaim as I was working for an agency for 2.5 weeks and was subsequently let go.

The requirements for JSA, ESA, Universal Credit is that you to have less than £5000 in the bank otherwise the payment will get reduced. If you have over £16,000 then you will get nothing. Therefore the reason they ask for fully itemised bank statement to assess your entitlement is invalid. You can filter your statement in many different ways with any online bank so only relevant information is provided, but the DWP say you are not allowed to use these filters and they want every detail. Why?

It is understandable that they want to see incoming payments to see if you have any other income (job on the side or whatever), but what right have they to access your out goings. Where you shop, whether you have drunk alcohol recently in a bar, where you go out, the grocery store you use, maybe you are making regular cash withdrawals which might suggest drug use. This request for your personal private data is excessive and has nothing to do with assessing your claim.

If they want to know what your rent is you can produce the lease etc (which they already have anyway). If you question them about it they tell you that you dont' need to apply for benefits if thats the way you feel, as if an unemployed person has any choice.

I'm interested in hearing peoples opinions and experiences with this, thanks

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Unfortunately this is how it has become, in order to tackle fraud the rest of us have to suffer.

Although I've never been requested to submit bank statements less for the start of my claim..

They can either get your permission to access it, or they'll access it without.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

they do it because they can. As with any authoriy give them a power and they will utilise it as a matter of course rather than as a discretion to do so. They know it inconveniences you to have to do this, they can then ask you about that refund you got from Boots when you took something back , that will be another fortnight to consider and so on. They should be able to extned the period they muck you about by around 6 months with a bit of effort and at the end of it they still may decide you are really self employed and being paid £99k a year in cash and demand you prove otherwise.

What you do with your payment is up to you. Of course you should pay your rent in you get a housing element and any other bills. What you spend your money on (and it is your money if you have a history of paying in to the system) should be nothing to do with them. If I can I occassionally treat myself to a McDonald's or something off Ebay - SO WHAT? When I claimed UC I wasn't evenasked for bank statements - just ID etc. Let them look, it is more about seeing if you have large incomes coming in to ensure the benefit is eligible for you.