Blocking a handset advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this

I had an iPhone that I reset as was given it to a friend but stupidly I lost it in a club.

Now it was either took from my bag or just lost.

I contacted the phone company and asked them to block the phone for me as there is no way I can find its location and doubtful I'd get it back.

I gave them the IMEI but they said they have it.

I have 2 phones on the account that used the same number

as when I reset to give my iPhone to a friend in desperate need I put my sim in another phone.

I noticed on my phone provider account that my 2nd phone (one I'm using now) was due to be blocked

I contacted live chat and explained I think they are due to lock the wrong phone

to which he said I will take that off right away.

I then gave them the IMEI number for my lost iPhone and they said that it will be blocked..

.But I'm doubting anything has been done as both people I spoke to seemed to not know what they were doing.

First one stated 72 hrs to block handset then 2nd one said 7 hrs.

I really want to block the handset so whoever has it can't use it..

Advice appreciated.

Whoever told you either 72 hours or 7 hours is talking out of their hat.

It takes about 45 seconds to network bar a handset. It might take an hour or so for the IMEI to go on to the blacklist database (I can't remember how often that updates) but it's blocked on the home network straight away.

The problem that you're probably going to run in to is that your (current) handset IMEI & SIM ICCID aren't going to match what you're asking them to block. This is where it might be getting confusing. They probably don't know what button to press!

Your best bet is to report the handset as lost/stolen to the police and give them the IMEI of the handset. As long as that process follows its usual path, the police will update the NMPR and that should update the blacklist database meaning the phone is 'paperweighted', in the UK at least.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.