Copy of the key to the landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I have not been here for a while but would much appreciate if anyone has an answer to my question?

One of my colleague is renting a flat from a private landlord through landlord's own estate agency.

The landlord requested a copy of his flat key...

Question:

Is it normal that landlord would ask a copy of the key??

My colleague would not be in favour of given any copy of any key as he is worried about it.

My colleague asked his landlord before moving in the flat, that he does not want anyone to walk into the flat without anyone being at home....

He lived in the flat for a few years...

Many thanks,

dd

It depends if the LL is a good one / if your friend trusts them!.

I had a great LL. They asked their T’s not to change the prepaid Electricity Meter to another supplier (explaining how it had caused them problems in the past), and to give them a copy key if the locks were changed.

The spare key was so they (or their emergency tradesman) could gain access if urgent repairs were needed (and also in case a T locked themselves out). This suited me as they had a good reputation and I never had them let themselves in without them letting me know (at least “as far as I know”!).

If your friend doesn’t ensure the LL has emergency access: who hears the cost of extra damage (or the locksmith!) if emergency access is needed?

I don't know if there's a law about it, but i personally make a contractual matter that i hold a copy of the keys.

It is also contractual that the tenant is to enjoy the property peacefully and any access from me requires reasonable notice.

I deliberately use the word "reasonable" because i find it unfair on the tenant to have only 24 hours notice when i need to repair or maintain something.

I have never even dreamed about entering the property without permission, but i know that some LL are crazy.

Having the keys has proved useful on several occasions: Twice my tenant locked herself out and once there was a suspected leak while she was on holiday.

On another occasions i let her visiting relatives in while she was at work so she didn't have to take time off.

Mind you, i live a few minutes away, so not a problem.

Your friend needs to consider the pros and cons and if he decided to let the LL have the key, make it absolutely clear that he cannot enter without permission.

Or he could just give him any random key and if the LL then complains that they don't work, he'll know that he tried to enter without permission.

would I let the LL have a copy of the key? If they had proved themselves as decent people then yes. Would I let a lettings agency have a copy of the key? Never.

Also, you should consider what your insurer's conditions are regarding contents or damage. You may well not be handing over a key then.