Virgin gym debt - Reclaiming money paid to DCA

Qawallified
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I would like some help please.

I was a member of virgin gym,

I cancelled my membership in March 2017.

In April/May the gym became David Lloyd Gyms.

I was contacted by David Lloyd in September to say I had 3 months gym membership fees overdue.

I told them I cancelled my gym membership in March.

They then passed me on to a debt collecting company called ACE.

They kept calling me and told me the amount I owed had increased.

I told them I cancelled my membership in March.

They said they would investigate.

After 8 weeks or so, ACE called me again to say they had proof I had used the gym in July and that If I paid 1 months membership fees and their costs on top then the debt would be cleared otherwise they were going to get a CCJ against my name

as I am a homeowner this could affect my mortgage etc.

I panicked and paid them the money even though I struggled to get it together.

The amount including their fees was £125

I've had the feeling that I have been conned ever since.

Could someone please tell me how or if I could try to reclaim that money as I am 100% sure that I cancelled my membership and should not have had to pay anything.

I am going to contact Virgin Gym to confirm if they have any records of when I cancelled my membership.

! If they do, can I request it in writing?

Would I then just contact ACE with this evidence and ask for my money back?

Or do I need to contact somebody else?

Whats the procedure?

If I should write a letter could someone help drafting it?

The debt company said they had proof I used the gym in July but I didnt as I have never been back there since it changed to David Lloyd.

Can I request them to send me this proof and if so how?

Am I able to do any of this or will the fact that I already paid them mean its too late?

I know I should have done all this before but at the time I knew nothing about this, never dealt with a debt collector before and panicked.

Since then I have spoken to few friends and work colleagues who have given me advice on the steps to take mentioned above.

My english is not great

I have asked my friend to type this.

I hope someone here can help me and guide me in how to reclaim my money because I know they have conned me. Thank you.

Yes you have been conned by Ace. When did you pay them and how much were their fees please?

How did you cancel your membership in March and did you have to give a month's notice for instance in order to cancel the membership and did you pay for that time in lieu of notice.

I paid them around 2 weeks ago. It

was £128.11 all together.

I think around £75-80 was fees they added on

I cant remember exactly

because I didnt receive any letter from them it was over the phone conversation.

I told the staff at reception in virgin gyms i wanted to cancel and then they took direct debit for march as last payment.

After this i never heard from them again it was David Lloyd and ACE who contacted me since then

I called Virgin Active who said they cant find details of when I cancelled which was strange I'm sure they keep records.

They did say that my card was used in July but I dont understand how as it was changed to David Lloyd by then

some friends who are still members have confirmed membership cards are different now with David Lloyd name on them.

Virgin said they will investigate and get back to me but I dont know when they will respond.

Your best bet might be to send virgin an SAR. If you can get evidence that they were mistaken then we can help you get your money back – although don't imagine it will be easy, but it could be fun.

How did you pay the dca?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if you paid the DCA by a debit card over the phone

then go do a chargeback NOW

with your bank

you paid by the correct membership cancellation rules [one DD after cancel]

so this money has been spoofed out of you under duress

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?473624-Section-75-and-Charge-Back..-gt-Whats-the-difference-and-how-to-utilise-them

next time remember the golden rule

NEVER EVER speak to a dca over the phone about your debts

they'll say anything to get money out of you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Quawa and welcome to CAG

Shame you didn't found us earlier and discover that gym fees and related DCA's do NOT result in court action or damage to your CRA files.

Also David Lloyd still insist on 3 months notice to cancel which we advise to challenge as it's not fair to members.

Are you sure the DCA was ACE, and not ARC (Europe).

1. Can you confirm when you last used the gym.

2. What date was the DD normally paid each month.

3. When did you tell the gym you wanted to cancel.

4. By what method did you do this - ie, in person at the desk, by letter, email or phone.

5. What was the monthly fee.

Depending on your replies, I would tell the gym's HO you require proof of you allegedly using the gym in July. If they fail to supply this you can demand they arrange a refund from the DCA on the basis that you were misled by the DCA.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)