Are You A Collector A Hoarder Of Things And What Are The Reasons.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just popped in as i am wondering a few things.

I got up this morning about 4 am i had had a lie in today.Seem to be getting up earlier and earlier.

After letting the cat out and my two dogs had a look around the house.

I have a small business,just getting by like many.

Collecting Driftwood for the last 4 years and have a good pile of it.

But i look at a piece and say,yes that is clearly a Shark,another oh yes that is a shelf,a bird,and it goes on and on.

Now i have reverted to hiding my good pieces under the bed in rooms all over the place.

And this has gone on for a while now.Trouble is when everything you pick up seems to have a use.

I reckon one day i will move something and a chain reaction will happen and wood will appear from everywhere.

Now do not get me wrong i have a tidy house,people say it is cosy.

Driftwood Snakes,Trees,Birds always half finished are everywhere.

Along with that i collect plants.

Naturally they have their own room,like a rain forest in there.

So i am just wondering if other people have strange collections in their houses.

Another strange thing happening is i talk to a few people for ten minutes or so about certain things.

I held court outside my house for ten minutes the other day rather loudly after about 6 workers shredding a dead tree asked me what Fracking was.

Took great pleasure getting my wooden box out standing on it and going for it.

But they slowly shrank away after the usual 10 minutes.

Maybe they had to go to another job:lol:

Wife and i were out walking to the local shops maybe 2 miles away and i was chatting away and after ten minutes or so asked a question about what i had been saying and she did not know.

This resulted in a investigation and she said i often turn off and let you go on.

So i have come to the conclusion that i am a hoarder and a right old boring grumpy old xxxx.

Do you collect strange things and bore the pants off people.

Is anyone there or are you asleep,it has been ten minutes now.

The usual effect.:-)

Well what a day and it continues.

Can you believe this.:madgrin:

I am really excited i have gained a follower on Twitter.

But it is not a human it is a Robot called Buddy.

Maybe though this could be good news,i shall talk to the little fellow for ten minutes or so.:-D

I never imagined technology is moving so fast,a robot follower a new Buddy to chat to.

Got to go going to talk to my new chum.

Then a Tree to make.The day is improving.

Bye for now,tell us your story.And another story is brewing,Tawnyowl who is so careful that i only have one bulb in the house,not that i am tight or anything is going to Donate a crisp old Tenner to the CAG,but that is another story coming soon.

Tawnyowl.

I can't resist taking home old wood from roof rafters and floor joists.

I never understood why people replace solid oak rafters and joists for new cheap light wood.

So i recycle it by making rustic furniture and if i feel jolly even more refined one (lots of planing and sanding hurts my frail arms 😂)

However, my wife complains that our garden is never clear but at the same time she shows off with her friends for having solid oak custom built furniture.

Go figure!

I too talk to switched off brains sometimes and with great pleasure when i realise, i mix up stories and use non existent words.

I find it amusing to laugh at a blank face.

Maybe we should get together and see how long we can pay attention to each other stories 😂

Could do with learning more woodwork I have loads of cabinets need making..

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

hmm not too sure about "good" machinery - i have the electric drill, electric mitre saw, router, busy building a router table in the shed courtesy of China, couple thousand screwdrivers, chisels etc - could do with getting a pedestal drill and i was looking at either a 3d printer or laser engraver, not sure which

main things im looking at building is a bench seat with underneath storage, floor to ceiling wall cabinet etc - ill pop potential images up when i get around to finishing it on the 3d modeling software

p.s sorry for hyjacking tawnyowl

i have to admit with dyslexia, dysphraxia, dysgraphia and aspergers i tend to hoard anything, mainly broken things waiting to be fixed, its become a rule of thumb that nothing broken leaves our house unless its been past my desk first - i think its about a 3 month queue at the moment

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I cant resist, fabric, buttons and beads - broken jewellery (for recycling). When I had more time, I did use to make and sell - now, I just seem to collect!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Total opposite here - I always like to de-clutter.

I try to go by this "Have what you love; use what you have. Anything that doesn't serve you, doesn't earn a place in your life." - however I still feel that i have too much clutter and the ironic thing is I don't own that much.

Why I do this? - Maybe it's because I have moved a lot in my life, so I find less is more.

PS

I do talk a lot tho'

Collecting things is human nature. Some peopel are happy to look at other people's collections in museums, some hoard things in an avaricious way, most people collect something even if it is just memories via photographs.

I used to keep a workshop full of machine too;s and sold them all when I moved house. The logic being there is no point having half the stuff you need so get rid of it all and then you wont be tempted to do those stupid favours people ask for.

I also once collected every type of coin issued by the Channel Isles and the Isle of Man. Took me less than a year to get the lot but sold them as soon as I had finished amassing them. It was the chase that was the enjoyable bit. Shame I didnt photograph them though, had a lot of collections of stuff like that, ceramics, glass, jewellery etc.

I've had to deal with clearing the houses of two elderly relatives this year and it's had a profound effect on me. I am decluttering. It's the kindest thing I can do for the generation below me. If I haven't touched or worn something in the last year then it's out. If I don't love or use something then it's out. I've stopped kidding myself I'll use it 'one day' because I won't. I've stopped kidding myself it will fit me again one day because I'm way past the point where that matters. I've stopped thinking I must keep a piece of tat because it was given to me by a relative long dead.

Have to say I'm loving the freedom :)

I've had to deal with clearing the houses of two elderly relatives this year and it's had a profound effect on me. I am decluttering. It's the kindest thing I can do for the generation below me. If I haven't touched or worn something in the last year then it's out. If I don't love or use something then it's out. I've stopped kidding myself I'll use it 'one day' because I won't. I've stopped kidding myself it will fit me again one day because I'm way past the point where that matters. I've stopped thinking I must keep a piece of tat because it was given to me by a relative long dead.

Have to say I'm loving the freedom :)

I am in a similar situation to you and over the holiday I too recognised that it would be kinder to leave less clutter for those who might have to sort my life's hoardings out in due course. Trips to Charity stores, the Tip and a few hours on EBay are on the "To Do" list for the start of 2018 :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Trips to Charity stores, the Tip and a few hours on EBay are on the "To Do" list for the start of 2018

Good luck. It starts out hard and becomes easier and easier. I sold some but didn't keep the cash - made donations to charity (not large amounts at all). It meant I really had got rid, been happy to let it go. I can't begin to explain how much easier my life is without all that rubbish I didn't need :)

I just had to clear out my mums flat and it was unbelievable the amount of 'stuff' she had collected over the years, I must have taken over 150 bags out of her flat, how she got it all in is a mystery to me :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I will aim to sell some items.

Hopefully not your soul :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Really enjoying reading your posts.

My new follower on Twitter Buddy the robot had vanished by the time i got back to chat to him.

Did not even last ten minutes.:sad:He vanished to another dimension.

Your posts had me looking around the house again and the garden.It was the thought that many have on decluttering.

I will have to change over time.

Latest additions to the house and garden.

I have been peeling some Driftwood quite a lot of it.Taking the bark off.

Naturally a use has been found for the peelings.Bags of the stuff are now ready for putting round the plants before weeds have a chance to appear in spring.

Bought a Robin Reliant for my small business,thought it would perhaps create a few laughs on the carboots and craft fairs i intend to frequent this year.And perhaps being a little eccentric i like them.And economical.

Said on the advert a little tidying up required.So wasted no time and bought it unseen.:loco:

Trailer arrived with car and drove onto drive.

The drive with cars that are resting not being driven.

Proceeded to work on car,naturally a full blown renovation is ongoing.

Tyres,electrics, seating,dashboard just a little tidying as said.

The other day after admiring the smoke coming from the engine for a month or so,no other thing to do but remove the engine and take it apart and and bring it back to prestige condition.

And after a battle the engine was out and cleaned of dirt but where do i put it now.To work on,it is winter.

The house where else,a piece of plywood was cut,wheels added and undercover of darkness the engine was wheeled into the kitchen where else.A cover was added to hide it and by morning a wonderful aroma filed the house.

Just wondering if i should respray it in there,maybe spray the walls while i am at it.Think about that later perhaps,not ready for final finish yet.

A strange look was given to me by my other half but after negotiations were held for many hours the engine stays for now.

So although the idea is in the head to declutter actions do not follow.

But i reckon when everything over time balances out things will be fine.A prestine vintage car and a vehicle that will raise a few laughs as it already does from neighbours.Surprising how people laugh,point and have affection for these cars.

Well i think they do anyway.

A tip for anyone removing a engine.It leaves a fairly big hole when removed.

Cats will soon find their way in the gap to hold meetings have parties and shelter from the elements.

I wish you all a Happy New Year

What is meant to be is meant to be.

Bye for now.

Tawnyowl.