Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder clint1974 Novitiate clint1974's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jun 2006

Default RAC / BISL Car insurance late payment fees

Hi

I have had 3 x late payment fees of 25 each on my car insuranceicon with RAC which i pay monthly and credit is provided by BISL. I would like to reclaim these can someone point me to a templateicon letter suitable to start the ball rolling ?

Currently Reclaiming PPI
    Santander (Evans Store Card)
    MBNA (A&L Credit Card)
    RBS (Natwest Loan) Settled
    Bank Charges Reclaimed
    RBS Bank Acc 1750 Settle In Full 16/10/2006
    RBS Credit Card 132 18/09/2006
    Bankrupt May 2009

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
    Follows
    Following

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since : Jan 2006

Blog Entries

Default Re: RAC / BISL Car insurance late payment fees

You're absolutely right to want to reclaim these. It's outrageous. This takes us back to the bank charges days. If they are entitled to claim any fees for late payment then they would have to represent their administrative costs.

It should be reason is straightforward – but I think that before you start, you need to have in mind what action you will take if they refused to refund you. You could either complain to the Ombudsmanicon but this is likely to take a long time with a very uncertain outcome or else you could threaten and then take a small claimicon action in the county courticon. This would properly have a fairly immediate effect and I can't imagine that they would challenge you and they would properly put their hands up – in exactly the same way that almost all of the banks, credit card companies et cetera did in 2006, seven, eight et cetera during the bank charges campaign when apparently as much as 2 billion was refunded to customers.

It is very important that you decide what kind of action you are prepared to take because if you simply go into this open-ended and fire off a letter which they then ignore, you will be left blustering, not knowing what to do and maybe eventually walking away with it with Eggicon on your face.

I think what I'm saying is that if you are prepared to follow up the necessary action in the event of their refusal, then it's probably not worth starting.

Warning: I use dictation software. Beware of homophones!
    Have you read our dealing with customer services guide?
    Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the reply, i agree and think the small claimsicon would be the route to take. I have had other policies with other insurance companies i think close motor finance was one of the credit providers that levied similar disproportionate charges. Am looking for a templateicon letter to send that's relevant or shall i just adjust one of the bank charges ones?

Currently Reclaiming PPI
    MBNA (A&L Credit Card)
    Bank Charges Reclaimed
    Bankrupt May 2009

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
    Follows
    Following

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Blog Entries

I can't remember what the bank charges one say.

Anyway, what you want to tell them is that the charges which they have levied against you are unfair unless they can show that they represent the administrative losses which they have suffered as a result of your late payment. Tell them that you would like a detailed breakdown which justifies the level of charges and that you want it within 14 days.

I suspect that you will get no response to this – or you will get some kind of fob off. At that point I would send them a 14 day letter before claim. I would be suing them for a breach of ICOBSicon in that they have treated you unfairly. To my knowledge no one has bought an ICOBSicon action yet but in my view it is a dead cert for a win and I expect that they would put their hands up before challenging you.

ICOBSicon – which has its banking parallel BCOBSicon and its mortgageicon parallel in mcobsicon amounts to a breach of statutory duty contrary to FCA regulations and if you did end up obtaining a judgement under ICOBS then your next step would be to send a copy of it to the FCA. I think that an ICOBS judgement would be very serious matter for any insurer.

We will help you all the way – but you've been here since 2006 so you know this anyway don't you

Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.

Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Yes had successes re bank charges in the past so know the procedure. Do you think this templateicon is suitable when adjusted ? https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...October-2013**

Currently Reclaiming PPI
    MBNA (A&L Credit Card)
    Bank Charges Reclaimed
    Bankrupt May 2009

Follows
    Following

Blog Entries

Why don't you draft a letter and post it on this forum and then we can see exactly what you're proposing to send out. Frankly the form of words isn't too important. Just get the message out to them and begin developing your paper trail.

Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details