• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Brighthouse Problem Again

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am currently a single mother living on benefits and have bad credit, i went to brighthouse and they seemed really nice. i started by getting one thing on credit and then just went up and up. I have been with them 9months now and paying £60 per week to them ( including service cover ). I then had a financial difficulty and missed 3 payments and was £180 in debt, they then came banging on my door and demandign a payment i then stated i didnt have it and then demanded to know a time and date i could go into the store and pay it, They eventually left i then called them and stated i could nto afford to pay the whole £180 in full. But could still afford to pay my £60 in weekly payments and maybes £10 more on top to start paying off the £180 i was in arrears. They refused the £10 offer and told me i had to pay £25, so in total £85 per week. will i had no choice to agree to i have then paid one payment but cant afford £85. i have in total £6817.14 worth of debt with them , i have not missed one payment untill 4weeks ago, i have paid about £1500 off. I also contacted brighthouse and asked if the could take the optional service cover off to reduce the payments and they told me they cant because im in arears. They said if i cant pay they want the stuff back.

If they get sent back , will i get anything for the money i have paid off?

I advice do not go with these they are awfull and not rpoffesional at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Love Danielle x

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sale of general insurance such as service cover is covered under FSA regulations. To conform to FSA regulations they must have done two specific things at the time you took the policy out. Firstly they must provide you with a document called an Initial Disclosure Document setting out their regulator/complaints procedure etc. They must also have completed a Needs & Demands statement with you which you have to sign. They are bound by law to keep a copy of this document and can be audited by the FSA at any time. If you didn't get the IDD or complete the N&D they don't have a leg to stand on. The alternative is to go down the mis-selling route. They are legally bound to tell you that any insurance products are optional and cannot imply that the granting of credit is conditional in regard to whether any related insurance products are taken by the customer. I'm sure if you think really hard you will remember that nice salesman telling you that you wouldn't get the credit unless you took the cover can't you! Either way you will have to make a complaint to the FSA. Brighthouse sales staff are heavily targeted to sell this cover as it is one of the most lucrative profit centres for these operations. I can't even remember the last time one of my electrical appliances broke down so these policies are generally pure profit for the retailer. Good luck.

''I'm sure if you think really hard you will remember that nice salesman telling you that you wouldn't get the credit unless you took the cover can't you!''

if this is the case i might go into Brighthouse and ask for this staement in writing, that would be interesting no?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

I am also with Brighthouse, a couple of years ago i got in to difficulty due to my husbands illness. I made an appointment to speak to the accountant there & he re set my account, I was about 4 weeks behind & couldn't afford to catch up, he said they could only do it on an account once so he re set it & I just carried on paying as normal but the 4 weeks was added on to the end.

While you are in arrears the option cover & insurance isn't valid, on there ads they say option cover which suggests you don't have to have it, if you are insured with a home contents insurance you don't have to have the stored insurance.

I would ask the store if they can re set your account as surely it would be better for them to do that & get payment than take away your stuff & not get anything.

As for getting anything you have aready paid back then the answer is no you won't, they let you have the stuff on a return basis on condition that you won't get anything if returned, if you do return anything if is sold in another store for near the original price regardless of howmuch you have paid off it.

Like i said they re set my account, I honestly didn't think they could do it but they were pretty good about it. They cannot remove your good if you have paid a certain amount off, have they given you agreements? I have noticed my branch don't give you a copy of your agreement unless you demand one.

yes i have been given a copy of the agreement i have paid about £1500 pound of, i got a letter off them the other day stating that if i dont contact them and pay they want the good back of they will take legal proceedings. what does that mean and how long will it take b4 they actually remove my goods. help x

On your agreement it should have the amount you have to pay back & how much per week over so many weeks, it also should have a box with figures in stating that once you have paid a certain amount they will have to take legal action to get permission from the court to take back the goods, this means they can not just come & take them, they have to apply to the court. You could argue that you are not refusing to pay & you are paying regularly even though you are a bit behind. If on the other hand you haven't paid up to the amount which is stated you have to pay before they have to apply to the court then they have got the right to take the goods back.

Brighthouse have an answer for everything, I would dig my heels in, pay the weekly amount plus an amount affordable & see what they do, by the time they had applied to the court the arrears would probably be clear, they are great at threats.

• 6 months later...

These contributions relate to Nov. 2006 but I just thought I'd let everyone know that Brighthouse are still up to their old tricks.

My daughter is a single parent and bought a sofa from Brighthouse. She couldn't keep up the payments.

She phoned me in tears last week to say that the collector from Brighthouse had been banging on her door, peering through the windows and shouting through the letter box.

She owes £70 in arrears.

I contacted Brighthouse and offered to pay her arrears. I live some distance away so any payment had to be by post or phone.

Brighthouse refused to accept my credit card and insisted that I pay by debit card.

I have been advised by my bank previously that any shopping or money transactions that I make by phone or internet should never be by debit card. Giving someone your debit card details is a bit like giving them direct access to your bank account.

I offered to pay by cheque which they accepted. But yesterday I had a phone call from the collector to say they won't accept my cheque unless I write my debit card details on the back of the cheque.

What the hell sort of company is this?

They claim to be a reputable company but they will only deal in cash or debit cards.

After a quick web search I have found numerous people who claim to have been threatened and abused by Brighthouse staff.

I have to say I didn't find any of their staff helpful and a lesson in manners wouldn't go amiss.

I asked for the head office number to complain. Like so many others they refused to give it to me.

They seem to prey on people who can least afford it. They give ridiculous amounts of credit to people who stand very little chance of making the repayments.

I'd be pleased to hear if anyone has any success in tackling Brighthouse in their unethical business approach.

i got a fridge freezer off brighthouse end of last year within 10 weeks it was not working. After 3 repairs and still not working i asked them to take it away and give me a new one or refund my money. they refused point blank and said they would carry on trying to repair it. I explained i was not going to pay hundreds of pounds for something that had broke after 10 weeks and was constantly in need of repair but i got nowhere with them. I then rang trading standards and spoke to a very nice and helpful man, he rang brighthouse and five minutes later they rang me to arrange removal of the fridge and delivery of a new one. problem solved. NOT. The new fridge is now playing up have had it about 8 weeks. here we go again.

Lucy I feel desperately sorry for you and any other Brighthouse customers. To be honest I was slightly annoyed with my daughter for getting into such a complete mess but the more I read the more I think the mess was not entirely of her making and more the result of pressure sales and bad business practice aimed at people who can least afford it. I notice other threads relating to Brighthouse where people have claimed that they have been subject to high interest, late payment charges and harassement.

If you do a websearch it doesn't take too long to discover other complaints in addition to those listed on Consumer Action Group site.

My daughter is a single parent, with two children and a part time job. She lives in privately rented accomodation and because she works part time irregular hours she has had difficulties with the weekly benefit adjustments. I can hardly blame her for taking up what sounded like a wonderful offer to have her old collapsed sofa replaced.

Brighthouse seem to actively encourage people to take on debt which they don't stand a chance of paying off within any reasonable timescale, then subject them to harrassment, threats and unreasonable charges when they default.

If anyone is aware of any way that we can make Brighthouse clean up their act I'd love to hear from them.

The problem seems to be they operate just within the law.

My daughter has suffered the embarressment of having the collector shouting through her letterbox but what can we do? At the end of the day she owes the money so it makes it difficult to claim harrassment.

The more I read people's stories, the more I hate Brighthouse. Unfortunately because they prey on the some of the poorest people in our society they are bound to run a thriving business.

So on that note if the collector that is dealing with my daughter's case ever reads this I'd just like to answer his comment.

He told me he's been working with Brighthouse for 15 years and they are a great company. I'd like to say if he's got an ounce of decency he should look for another job.

Mothervee, Have a look at the 1977 PROTECTION FROM HARASSMENT ACT. It was set up to protect woman from harrassment but under the act it also covers things like collection or debt collectors harrassing you. You may find some amunition against them here.

Not really, it was set up to protect people from harrassment :)

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

Sadly Brighthouse staff are not know for there manners and customer service techniques which is why they have a high turn over of staff because of irrate customers, or customers like me who are not prepaired to take any bull from no one...It's sad to say that because we have financial difficulties and can not go down the regular routes to finance or purchase much needed goods out right that we are penalise by staff treating us like we are less than human/ second class citizens, as I had to tell one assistant, I am not asking for a hand out...I pay with money for my goods and deserve a little manners and repect as a customer. I have many bad dealings with Brighthouse and have so many names for them but it's not surprising really is it as when they were Crazy George they were just as rude.

If you get into difficulty you are entitled to a rewrite...and as mentioned earlier you can only have one! But they do not operate fairly as if you miss the saturday payment and pay monday they still slap on a late fee for each item you owe & want two weeks money ... They refuse point blank to look at anything on your account while its in arrears, and even try to intimidate you on the phone if you are late demanding a date and time you'll be in the shop, and once they've even left a message with my 14yr old daughter which seemed like a monday or else threat ...

I have already warned staff about the way they address me, and have told them numerous times do not attempt to threaten me on the phone, I have even had one manager make an agreement with me witnessed by staff and then the very next morning received the rudest of calls, and the person denying all knowledge of my previous call, and how convieniet both the manager and the witnesses were not available in store the following day!

I would suggest if you have house insurance take a copy and remove all the extra cover from the items but with the cover you do have on there you should be able to return some off the items not sure what you will get back tho as I have never taken the cover.I think but dont quote that they hold what you pay and you can change the item and put it to something else but dont quote me read the information that came with your agreement even tho it is just a mass of small print!!

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

• 1 month later...

I will let you all into a little secret about Bh

If you have had ur item for over 2 yrs and the book price has dropped under £100, They will not chase you.The collectors will not come out for a book price lower than £100 because they will not get paid.Something to think about people.Am not saying thats wot all the shops do but i know certain shops will not bother..You may ask how would i know..I used to work for them..

Plus if you buy a item second hand and the book price is lower than £100

and u stop paying for a good reason they will not pester you..Its not worth the debt managers {bailiffs} to call

Now dont get confused if you have more than 1 item thats under £100 they will come,as they see it has 2 cards =£200..

Plus the only time the bailiffs do call if the item has gone late for 90 days or more..

After 90 days if they have had no luck contacting you they let the item fall off

• 1 month later...

You should gain a copy of the Harassment Act 1997 and also you can obtain online a copy of debt recovery laws.

Up until a few months ago I spent three years working for a rival company of Brighthouse, I left because the people from Brighthouse took over the company. They immoral and despicable people.

With both companies if you manage to hold out for 24 weeks without payment they will right of your debt. That means they call very rarely.

If you tell them you cannot pay and refuse to give back the goods the police WILL NOT intervene. They will not take you to court because they cannot win. In three years as a debt collector I never knew of one person being taken to court for non payment. The debt goes through the cycle and is then forgotten.

They can afford to write off debt because so many other people are paying and the interest charges are so high.

I also agree with other articles about 'preying on the poor' and setting up in 'deprived areas'.

Hi

I am currently a single mother living on benefits and have bad credit, i went to brighthouse and they seemed really nice. i started by getting one thing on credit and then just went up and up. I have been with them 9months now and paying £60 per week to them ( including service cover ). I then had a financial difficulty and missed 3 payments and was £180 in debt, they then came banging on my door and demandign a payment i then stated i didnt have it and then demanded to know a time and date i could go into the store and pay it, They eventually left i then called them and stated i could nto afford to pay the whole £180 in full. But could still afford to pay my £60 in weekly payments and maybes £10 more on top to start paying off the £180 i was in arrears. They refused the £10 offer and told me i had to pay £25, so in total £85 per week. will i had no choice to agree to i have then paid one payment but cant afford £85. i have in total £6817.14 worth of debt with them , i have not missed one payment untill 4weeks ago, i have paid about £1500 off. I also contacted brighthouse and asked if the could take the optional service cover off to reduce the payments and they told me they cant because im in arears. They said if i cant pay they want the stuff back.

If they get sent back , will i get anything for the money i have paid off?

I advice do not go with these they are awfull and not rpoffesional at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Love Danielle x

i'd ask them to reset ur account. i had this problem , i went in and said i couldnt afford to pay this week, and wouldnt be able to afford double or the fees next week. he said no probs he'd re-set it. he also asked how many times id had it re-set before (which would indicate that some will do it more than once!), but i hadnt had it reset before so cant be certain on that!

hi

i would just like to say that all you peolple who have complained about bright house obviously didnt listen to the sales person when they went through your HIRE PURCHASE agreement.

Just to clarify a few facts:

where else would you get a washer if you had a poor credit rating. lets face it no other company would take you on.most of bright houses customers are on benefits . they take a hugh risk in taking these people on, as benefits arnt always permenant.

service cover is optional, however if you dont take it out could you afford to pay back half the cash and credit if your partner leaves you and you can no longer afford it. didnt think so. it is there to protect you. not only do you get unlimited service call for the whole time you are paying for it, you get a loaner item for most items and if they cant fix it then they replace it, (not with new )if you read through the t and c it does state this. if you get new well then you are lucky.

if you cant afford your items for a while you can do a pick up and hold.they basically end your contract when they have items back and then re start it from where you left off when your finances are back on track.why keep hold of items that are not a necessity like tvs ps3's hifis. if you cant afford them but dont want to loose them this is your best option. how many other companys do this.

the other benefit to service cover is if you return your product for what ever reason then you should be offered a re-start voucher. this is basically a voucher for all the money you have paid on that product. you have upto a year to come back and have your money taken off a simular product. ie if you return a washer then you can use the voucher towards anouther refurbished washer within the years expiry time.

DAMAGE LIABILITY COVER this covers you for fire theft flood and accidental damage.yes you do have to have this.reason being that the products have to be insured. you may all sit there and think that your insuarance policy covers it but i bet it dosnt.your insuarance has to specifically state that it would pay the hire purchase company the remainder of the balance if anything should happen to it. you may say well thats stupid but just remember you dont own the product untill you have made your last payment. so there for again, as it states in the contract, the product remains brghthouse property untill you have made your last payment.

a note to somebody else who made a comment about them having your details when trying to pay for your daughters account.if you want to pay by cheque then you must have a cheque gaurentee card this would be the details that they would need. so by you holding back that info you have proberbly worsend your daughters situation. where in the world would take a cheque whithout cheque gaurentee card. you people need to grow up and come into this century.oh yes by the way they are underthe fsa and finacial ombusmen.:-x

hi

i would just like to say that all you peolple who have complained about bright house obviously didnt listen to the sales person when they went through your HIRE PURCHASE agreement.

Just to clarify a few facts:

where else would you get a washer if you had a poor credit rating. lets face it no other company would take you on.most of bright houses customers are on benefits . they take a hugh risk in taking these people on, as benefits arnt always permenant.

Tough, thats their choice if thats the market that Bright House target. If they don't know the rules surrounding the HP agreements, then they shouldn't offer them!

service cover is optional, however if you dont take it out could you afford to pay back half the cash and credit if your partner leaves you and you can no longer afford it. didnt think so. it is there to protect you. not only do you get unlimited service call for the whole time you are paying for it, you get a loaner item for most items and if they cant fix it then they replace it, (not with new )if you read through the t and c it does state this. if you get new well then you are lucky.

This doesn't replace the Sale of goods act.

if you cant afford your items for a while you can do a pick up and hold.they basically end your contract when they have items back and then re start it from where you left off when your finances are back on track.why keep hold of items that are not a necessity like tvs ps3's hifis. if you cant afford them but dont want to loose them this is your best option. how many other companys do this.

That's all well and good, but we're not talking about these products on this thread, there's a washing machine and a fridge freezer, pretty necessary I'd say.

the other benefit to service cover is if you return your product for what ever reason then you should be offered a re-start voucher. this is basically a voucher for all the money you have paid on that product. you have upto a year to come back and have your money taken off a simular product. ie if you return a washer then you can use the voucher towards anouther refurbished washer within the years expiry time.

DAMAGE LIABILITY COVER this covers you for fire theft flood and accidental damage.yes you do have to have this.reason being that the products have to be insured. you may all sit there and think that your insuarance policy covers it but i bet it dosnt.your insuarance has to specifically state that it would pay the hire purchase company the remainder of the balance if anything should happen to it. you may say well thats stupid but just remember you dont own the product untill you have made your last payment. so there for again, as it states in the contract, the product remains brghthouse property untill you have made your last payment.

You don't have to have this, don't talk such nonsense. Normal contents insurance would cover these products in the event of a fire or flood.

From Brighthouse's website "We may require you to take out Damage Liability Cover if you do not have home contents cover"

a note to somebody else who made a comment about them having your details when trying to pay for your daughters account.if you want to pay by cheque then you must have a cheque gaurentee card this would be the details that they would need. so by you holding back that info you have proberbly worsend your daughters situation. where in the world would take a cheque whithout cheque gaurentee card. you people need to grow up and come into this century.oh yes by the way they are underthe fsa and finacial ombusmen.:-x

If companies are behaving outside the law, then surely it's Bright House's responsibility to "grow up and come into this century" as you so eloquently put it.

Is it possible that you work for brighthouse? Or is it just that you like to try and goad people? Either way, make sure you're fully aware of the facts before you post, otherwise you only end up looking a fool.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks