Rossendales DCA re overpaid Tax Credits Claimed

JS001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

First time poster looking for some advice.

The debt is for overpaid tax credits and the amount is £1500 (£750 each me and partner).

i haven't replied to any correspondence,

which started with letters from Rossendales,

then it was sent back to HMRC and

now back with Rossendales

who have sent a 'final demand before legal action.

n anyone please help with a few questions.

1. What would likely happen if i ignored this? Chances of Rossendales/HMRC applying for CCJ?

2. If i CCJ was applied for would i be given a final chance to pay before it showed on my credit history?

3. Can this affect my credit history anyway? (even if a CCJ isn't applied for)

I am aware this probably has to be paid however i only want to pay around £40 per month, what's the best way of negotiating this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ignore the dca and arrange repayments with HMRC directly

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for the reply.

Will it definitely go back to HMRC then? as i say it has already been handed back to them once but now it is back with Rossendales for a second time.

If i deal with HMRC direct will they not just take money from my wages (either though tax code or Attachment of earnings)?

Therefore would it not be better to try and negotiate a lesser monthly payment with Rossendales?

Rossers will want probaby £100/ month and endless I & E forms to bump up your payments even if they agree to your £40 at first. Try negotiate with HMRC

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Contact HMRC directly and set up a repayment plan. Ignore Rossendales.

Pointless asking them, they will only say no so they can take your payments and obtain their hefty percentage fee.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Thanks for the reply.

Will HMRC ask for proof of earning etc.? Or do i just offer an amount.

And what if they refuse? will/can they then apply for attachment of earnings?

My issue is that i can afford to pay a lot more than i would like to pay.

first of all,

do you owe the amount they say has been overpaid?

If you dont agree with teh HMRC figures then you start off by disputing that and go from there.

You can ignore Rossers but i would advise you contact the tax credits section and ask for a ful breakdown and the if it is correct arrange to pay tem directly.

If you earn enough they may take it by adjusting your tax codes and then you overpay your tax painlessly each month to clear the debt over the next year

. Now Rossers cant do that can they?

Hi thanks for replying.

In short yes i do owe the amount specified.

So if i ring HMRC they will look to take the payment over 12 months (£125 per month)?

However what i am saying is shouldn't i try and negotiate a lower monthly payment with Rossendales which is what i want (only really want to pay £40 per month max.)

No. Rossendales have no legal right to say or do anything to force you to pay. All they can do is ask, and theyll charge you more because they want money too.

Go back to HMRC and set up a repayment plan. Please dont fall for the DCA's tricks. They dont care about you, they care about money. They also cannot do ANYTHING to you including getting a CCJ or any kind of legal action whatsoever.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

No. Rossendales have no legal right to say or do anything to force you to pay. All they can do is ask, and theyll charge you more because they want money too.

Go back to HMRC and set up a repayment plan. Please dont fall for the DCA's tricks. They dont care about you, they care about money. They also cannot do ANYTHING to you including getting a CCJ or any kind of legal action whatsoever.

But if HMRC will make me pay back over 12 months @ £125 a month, wouldn't i be better trying to negotiate a lower monthly payment with Rossendales (i would prefer a lower monthly payment).

Also, what would happen if i was to ignore this altogether, what are the chances of HMRC applying for a CCJ?

Thanks

They cant make you pay it like that. You pay it at a rate you can afford. Ignore rossendales completely. As i already said, they will say and do ANYTHING to get money from you. They cant touch you and will do and say anything to get what they want.

HMRC wont go for a CCJ if youre paying it off as you can afford it. I owed 4k a few years ago and was paying it back at 70 a month and more as and when i could afford it. Such as when bonuses were made in my job.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-overpayments/cant-afford-repayments

From the governments own site. Ignore rossendales and repay HMRC direct.

Thanks, only thing is on the link it says you may have to send bank statements etc. This is bad for me as they will be able to see i can easily afford to pay off a large amount each month.

I don't really want to do this and would rather pay something more manageable e.g £40/50 per month.

Also as this is a joint debt am i still liable for the full £1500? or could my partner also set up a payment plan for her half?

If youre plannign to repay a government debt, then you have to provide info to prove your finances. Also, its MAY not MUST. Youre falling into the DCA's trap.

What do you mean it's may not must?

So will i have to provide full bank statements to HMRC, in which case they will see i can pay e.g £200 a month which they will then take?

If they ask for it, then youll have to provide them. Give them a ring.

stop worrying about CCJ 's and what ifs

Give them a ring and tell them you want to arrange repayments. Ignore the DCA completely. They cannot force you to deal with the DCA.

they don't get CCJ's or anything

they have the power to directly take it from future wages by an AEO etcetc

however

the VERY 1st thing you need to do is MAKE HMRC PROVE IT

goto their website and fill out the free SAR.

get all the info they hold [each of you do this]

and go through it with a fine toothed comb.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Pay particular attention to the income that they say you earned, and the income that you actually earned, also phone calls that they claim happened, that never actually did. On my SAR I found that there was a made up phone call, giving an inflated Salary figure.

You can then move on to the appeal Process. It's also worth taking a read of the Tax Credits COP 26, available on Gov.uk.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread