Hastings Direct 7 day cancel notice for incident under sep business policy

crazydiamond1970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Will try and keep this as short as possible

I work for a well know Pizza company,

as a delivery driver,

while im working for my employer i am covered through their business insurance.

i have to provide my own personal insurance/mot to be able to work.

I had an incident in October, whilst at work,

I had reversed out of a parking bay,

no more than a car length,

looked in passenger mirror and noticed a car behind me,

i waited for some sort of reaction from the driver,

was none,

i got out of my car, and i noticed damage to the front of the vehicle,

being a bit confused i believed i had hit the car and caused the damage,

having said that,

as it seems now the damage on car was previous damage.

At the time i gave him details of my employer`s insurance policy,

i did not get any details from him,

as i say trying to keep this short,

incident would have been on company cctv.

The other party has not gone through my employers insurance,

they are taking it through my own.

Now this is where i need help or advice,

when i took out the insurance policy with Hastings Direct,

i specified my employment as what it is,

a fast food delivery driver,

i do not need business cover,

as its provided for.

Hastings accepted my employment and insured me.

Due to this incident,

i had to fill in a claim form by 27 of this month.

i spoke to Hastings,

advising them that this was an employment issue,

and that it should be going through my employers insurance.

I supplied Hastings with the information that was requested.

I now as of yesterday have been sent notice of cancellation.

For using a vehicle outside the terms and conditions of this policy.

I rang Hastings today about this,

i was told its being cancelled due to my job???

I will now be penalised for being honest,

by having insurance cancelled.

I have contacted the financial ombudsman service today,

also have put in an official complaint to Hastings.

This has got me stressed out,

I work a 0 hr contract and cannot afford the insurance quotes,

im getting now or drive with a black box, with restrictions.

Is it your vehicle or the company's?

If its yours you need business insurance on your policy.

If its their vehicle they can get insurance to cover you.

Someone else's insurance policy will not cover you.

The policy holder has no financial interest in your car/bike/vehicle

Yes it is my own vehicle, and yes all drivers are covered while at work on our employers business insurance on a third party basis.

This is why our own personal insurance details are photographed, to be legal in all aspects.

Also why does my employer say that business insurance is not needed,

Edited by crazydiamond1970

I'll think you'll find your covered on their insurance if its their vehicle, not yours.

Delivery driver – car

If you are planning on using your own car to deliver fast food then you must notify your current insurer, as it will now fall under the ‘business use’ category. Failure to do this could lead to your policy being void and any claim you attempt to make being instantly rejected – which could spell trouble if you are dependent on your delivery driver income

Yep, which means you need your own business insurance.

That's them letting you use their vehicle

1 any vehicle owned, hired,loaned or leased to any employee

Its your vehicle, not theirs therefore you need business insurance

1 any vehicle owned by, hired,loaned or leased to any employee

As I read it, while delivering for the company, the OP is covered by the company's insurance.

The third party is incorrectly claiming from the OP's own insurance company, which does not cover while delivering for the company - which has caused the OP's problem.

Just google it.

Insurance for takeaway deliverys

Pizza Delivery Agents Insurance

If you are engaged as an employee of a takeaway pizza business you must ensure that your private car or motorcycle insurance is arranged on the correct basis. You must ensure that your insurance company is aware of your occupation and that the vehicle is used for the business of your employer or of your own business.

From Hastings website on criteria.

The important bit I the last point. I didn't copy It all, too much

Car insurance acceptance criteria

In order to obtain an online quotation you must be able to satisfy all of the following criteria.

•You and all additional drivers are permanently resident in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (we regret we cannot offer quotations for residents of the Channel Islands).

•You, your spouse or civil partner are the main user of the car.

•Your car is registered in the UK, and must be a UK model or built to UK specifications.

•Your car is not Q plated or a car derived van.

•You and all additional drivers have advised the DVLA/DVANI of any notifiable condition and the DVLA/DVANI have agreed to the issue of a licence.

•You and all additional drivers hold the appropriate car licence for the car you drive or intend to drive.

•No driver has had any criminal convictions, been refused car insurance or had any special terms imposed.

•No driver will require business use in relation to a driving occupation eg courier, fast food delivery, motor trade or any other involving hire and reward or commercial travelling.

https://www.hastingsdirect.com/car-insurance/acceptance-criteria.shtml

From the OP's first post, Hastings were aware of their occupation as a pizza delivery driver when taking out the private use insurance, but do not provide business use cover.

From post 5, ERS provide the business use cover when employed delivering pizzas.

The claim is nothing to do with Hastings, it needs to be dealt with ERS.

1 any vehicle owned by, hired,loaned or leased TO any employee

TO is the operative word.

The poster stated to Hastings he didn't need business insurance as he was covered. But he/she isn't.

The vehicle did not belong to the business, if it did they would of been insured. That I what the business owners policy states.

The delivery driver had their own car.

Hastings in theory could report tho matter to the police nd the police could take action

As in post 5, as the vehicle is owned by the employee, so the ERS business use cover is valid, which excludes vehicles provided by the policyholder.

While using the vehicle privately, cover is provided by Hastings.

While using the vehicle for delivering pizzas, cover is provided by ERS.

20171130_220022.jpg

From the OP's first post, Hastings were aware of their occupation as a pizza delivery driver when taking out the private use insurance, but do not provide business use cover.

From post 5, ERS provide the business use cover when employed delivering pizzas.

This is correct as im led to believe by my employer. Myself and hundreds of other employees.

1 any vehicle owned by, hired,loaned or leased TO any employee

TO is the operative word.

The poster stated to Hastings he didn't need business insurance as he was covered. But he/she isn't.

The vehicle did not belong to the business, if it did they would of been insured. That I what the business owners policy states.

The delivery driver had their own car.

Hastings in theory could report tho matter to the police nd the police could take action

As in post 5, as the vehicle is owned by the employee, so the ERS business use cover is valid, which excludes vehicles provided by the policyholder.

While using the vehicle privately, cover is provided by Hastings.

While using the vehicle for delivering pizzas, cover is provided by ERS.

Which is exactly what i told hastings. That the accident that is being claimed happened whilst i was covered on my employers insurance as i was at work.

Hastings cover private/personal insurance.

Employers insurers (ESR) cover whilst i am actually carrying out my dutys on behalf of my employer.

Just google it.

Insurance for takeaway deliverys

Pizza Delivery Agents Insurance

If you are engaged as an employee of a takeaway pizza business you must ensure that your private car or motorcycle insurance is arranged on the correct basis. You must ensure that your insurance company is aware of your occupation and that the vehicle is used for the business of your employer or of your own business.

From Hastings website on criteria.

The important bit I the last point. I didn't copy It all, too much

Car insurance acceptance criteria

In order to obtain an online quotation you must be able to satisfy all of the following criteria.

•You and all additional drivers are permanently resident in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (we regret we cannot offer quotations for residents of the Channel Islands).

•You, your spouse or civil partner are the main user of the car.

•Your car is registered in the UK, and must be a UK model or built to UK specifications.

•Your car is not Q plated or a car derived van.

•You and all additional drivers have advised the DVLA/DVANI of any notifiable condition and the DVLA/DVANI have agreed to the issue of a licence.

•You and all additional drivers hold the appropriate car licence for the car you drive or intend to drive.

•No driver has had any criminal convictions, been refused car insurance or had any special terms imposed.

•No driver will require business use in relation to a driving occupation eg courier, fast food delivery, motor trade or any other involving hire and reward or commercial travelling.

https://www.hastingsdirect.com/car-insurance/acceptance-criteria.shtml

I informed hastings i was a pizza delivery driver for a certain company. Therefore i informed them of my occupation & have quite a high annual mileage allowance on my own policy. Hastings provided cover on the basis i was a pizza delivery driver. Now the person who is claiming for the accident was handed a copy of my employers insurance details and told to contact the buisness insurance by my area manager. Instead the third party has given my reg no to whoever he is using to make a claim. So instead of them claiming through the insurance provided by my employer, they have obtained my private policy i.e hastings and made a claim through my private policy instead.

Screen shot of employers insurance that myself and hundreds of other drivers are given and told we are covered on the buisness insurance therefore do not require additional buisness insurance.

The screenshot of the certificate shows that it provides cover for any vehicle:

owned by,

or hired to,

or loaned to,

or leased to,

Any employee,

but excludes vehicles provided by the policyholder.

So it would provide cover for you using your own car while delivering pizzas, but would not provide cover for vehicles provided by the policyholder.

Which is different a business policy that sgtbush is confusing it with.

Agree with Raykay.

Just get ERS to take over the claim and also get ERS to notify Hastings of the situation.

As long as Hastings were advised of the mixed use of the car and that a separate business use third party liability was arranged by the employers, then it should be easy to resolve. I suspect that when this Hastings policy was bought, it was not noted on the policy records and therefore Hastings have reacted as if they were never told about this.

As a side note, this split liability Insurance does not really work in the real world. All third party Insurance is recorded on the MID ( Motor Insurance Database), which can be accessed bt Police, third parties and others needing this info. There is only one record of Insurance against a reg.no, which in this case is Hastings. A third party would therefore report to Hastings. In the event of any accident, always have details of the ERS policy available in your glovebox to provide to a third party.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My insurance provided by hastings..

Showing they were informed of my occupation & provided insurance knowing this.

Agree with Raykay.

Just get ERS to take over the claim and also get ERS to notify Hastings of the situation.

As long as Hastings were advised of the mixed use of the car and that a separate business use third party liability was arranged by the employers, then it should be easy to resolve. I suspect that when this Hastings policy was bought, it was not noted on the policy records and therefore Hastings have reacted as if they were never told about this.

As a side note, this split liability Insurance does not really work in the real world. All third party Insurance is recorded on the MID ( Motor Insurance Database), which can be accessed bt Police, third parties and others needing this info. There is only one record of Insurance against a reg.no, which in this case is Hastings. A third party would therefore report to Hastings. In the event of any accident, always have details of the ERS policy available in your glovebox to provide to a third party.

Which is what i did do.

I gave the third party a copy of the buisness insurance policy.

It was mentioned that the incident would be on cctv as it happened right outside of my employers premises which has cctv outside.

The following day the third party along with a friend attended my employers premises asking for the cctv to which he was told by my area manager it will be given to the insurance company upon their request and was again handed a copy of the policy by him.

Instead the third party has procedded to claim on my personal policy.

20171130_230905.jpg

So when yo bought the policy you actually spoke to Hastings and had a conversation, I am a fast food delivery driver and I use the car registration xxxxxxxx to deliver food ?

Or did you simply advise your occupation ?

If it was the latter, then that might be why there is a problem. You always need to speak to Insurers. Simply stating an occupation is not enough, because you need to be abke to confirm exact usage of the vehicle you want Insurance for.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Well if I'm wrong then I apologise.

Your going to have to fight tooth and nail with Hastings tho as insurance companies can be buggers!

When you quoted this for Hastings online.

"No driver will require business use in relation to a driving occupation eg courier, fast food delivery, motor trade or any other involving hire and reward or commercial travelling."

This is basically Hastings saying the policy excludes such business use, but I suspect that Hastings really want customers to phone them to disclose details of exact usage. If Hastings had captured the details of this employers ERS policy, then as soon as they had this third party claim, they could have referred the the third party to ERS. There would not have been this situation of cancelling with 7 days notice, because Hastings were not aware of the risks.

Hastings are technically wrong anyway, as their internet criteria already excludes this type of business use. There is a presumption that consumers have read this internet criteria and agreed to it. Any takeaway delivery driver buying a policy through Hastings might not think to phone Hastings after buying online, as they have two Insurances. One with Hastings for standard private use and a business third party usage policy with ERS through their employers.

If Hastings cancel in these situations, then they have a difficient process or staff need training.

I have worked for this well known world wide pizza company for 2 and a half years.I have not lied about my job, or mileage usage, I have not misrepresented, to lower my insurance premium. I know that false information is classed as fraud. As far as i`m aware I had done the correct thing. I have had no bother at all in the years ive worked at this company, with insurance.