style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a council tax bill outstanding that has been passed to Marstons.

They wrote to me about it and the amount seemed wrong

I disputed it with the council.

Once that had been settled,

I have tried continuously to get in touch with Marstons probably for about 4 weeks,

and each time been on hold for at least 30 minutes.

I finally got through on Friday and was told my account had been passed to a bailiff and I would have to speak to him.

I rang the man who was rude, aggressive and abrupt.

I offered to make two payments (the debt is £1000) as I couldn't afford to pay it one go.

He said OK but he would still attend my property and add £235 to the arrears.

I asked why as I had just offered to pay him and he said because he could.

I said very calmly that no one would be in and we wouldn't open the door anyway

he started shouting that that was it,

I couldn't pay in two payments any longer and he would 'see me Monday'.

I once again asked for an explanation as to why he wouldn't accept my payment offer and he shouted 'goodbye' and put the phone down!

I tried calling Marstons back but once again couldn't get through

I emailed and complained about his conduct and offered to phone and pay via the office.

The bailiff has since attended twice and put letters through the door,

but I will not ring him again to be shouted at thank you.

I have also emailed the council to offer payment directly and as you'd expect they said I have to deal with Marstons.

Obviously he's attended so they can add money on and I will not pay the £235.

Just wanted to check where I stand legally?

If neither the council or Marstons will accept my payment offer,

what am I actually meant to do!?

complain to the council CEO if you have too

they employ Marstons

NAME the bailiff to them [not here please]

they ARE responsible for their actions

if you offered to pay then he should have accepted and not wanted to be greedy and levy a further £235

he had not to that point attended the property

ruddy marstons again

I though we were supposed to reeling them in by 2 prominent members here being a part of their discussion group or whatever

think this is the third in as many weeks

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

I have a council tax bill outstanding that has been passed to Marstons. They wrote to me about it and the amount seemed wrong. I disputed it with the council.

Once that had been settled, I have tried continuously to get in touch with Marstons probably for about 4 weeks, and each time been on hold for at least 30 minutes.

I finally got through on Friday and was told my account had been passed to a bailiff and I would have to speak to him.

It would seem from your post that the problem that you are currently facing stems from the fact that you did not make contact with Marston's until well after the Compliance period had ended.

The Notice of Enforcement would have been the letter that you received from Marston's. That document is vitally important for a number of reasons....firstly, the letter invites you to contact the enforcement company within the 'compliance period' in order to set up a payment arrangement. Granted, the arrangement is not that generous (with a payment proposal being spread over approx 3 months and sometimes slightly longer with an initial payment having to be made at the time of setting up the agreement).

The compliance period is the date that is given on the Notice of Enforcement by when either full payment (or an arrangement is set up). If that period has ended then the account is passed to an enforcement agent. The purpose of his attendance would be to 'take control' of your goods. At this stage, an enforcement stage fee of £235 is applied. Given that the compliance stage has ended, it is extremely difficult to get a payment arrangement set up when a visit takes place.

I have rarely before come across an enquiry from somebody who could not make contact with an enforcement company for a month. Are you sure that you were calling the right number? Did you try sending an email enquiry?

When you contacted the local authority to dispute the amount of the Liability Order did you ask the council to place a 'hold' on the account whilst the enquiries were ongoing?

I kid you not,

I have the phone records to prove it,

every single time I tried to call,

which was probably 3-4 times a week on average,

I could not get through.

I didn't ask them to place a hold on it as I didn't know that was an option.

Ultimately I'm happy to pay what I owe, but no one will accept my payment!

And yes, of course it was the right number.

Hi

I have a council tax bill outstanding that has been passed to Marstons. They wrote to me about it and the amount seemed wrong

What was the date on the Notice of Enforcement and what date was given for full payment (or a payment arrangement) to be made?

You mention that you have emailed a complaint to Marston's. Have you received a response?

I kid you not, I have the phone records to prove it, every single time I tried to call, which was probably 3-4 times a week on average,

I could not get through.

If you have evidence in support that you tried calling the company 4 times a week for a month then you really must make sure that the company have this evidence. That may well assist you in challenging the £235 fee.

Sorry for the delay, I've been poorly.

I originally got the letter in September,

then I was away for a few weeks

emailed the council on my return to challenge the amount.

Then when that was resolved I tried to get in touch with Marstons to sort it out.

I will have phone records showing all the calls hopefully,

where do I challenge this fee,

to the council or Marstons?

won't they just ignore it and tell me I have to pay it!?

Take it to the elected head of your council, and local elected councillor's.

If you can get all the proof to show them, that is.

Their details should be available phone / email on the web.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread