Overpaid via PayPal Subscriptions - Trying to get a refund

abedegno
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I cancelled a web hosting service a couple of years ago, and it wasn't unreasonable to expect billing ti also be cancelled. The service was paid via PayPal Subscriptions, I didn't realise I had to cancel this myself and small payments (5 a month) have been continuing without me realising until recently.

When I spotted it, I contacted the company and cancelled the PayPal subscriptions, however, I'm having some difficulty getting the money back from them. They advise that because paypal charges them transaction fees, they will refund me but first want to deduct these fees.

Where do I stand legally? Surely I am entitled to a refund as I've 'paid' for a service I haven't received and I don't think I should have to incur the payment fees as part of a refund.

Thanks

Abe

how do you pay paypal?

do a chargeback if by debit card

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they are taliking b00*(ks,

when you refund via paypal the fees are refunded as well so they dont lose out.

You can tell them this and let them know if they dont refund you will be doing a chargeback and paypal will then bite their bums and they will end up paying the fees so it is in their interests to do the sensible thing

Hi,

I cancelled a web hosting service a couple of years ago, and it wasn't unreasonable to expect billing ti also be cancelled. The service was paid via PayPal Subscriptions, I didn't realise I had to cancel this myself and small payments (5 a month) have been continuing without me realising until recently.

When I spotted it, I contacted the company and cancelled the PayPal subscriptions, however, I'm having some difficulty getting the money back from them. They advise that because paypal charges them transaction fees, they will refund me but first want to deduct these fees.

Where do I stand legally? Surely I am entitled to a refund as I've 'paid' for a service I haven't received and I don't think I should have to incur the payment fees as part of a refund.

Thanks

Abe

name names too

dx

and they

Hi,

They've refunded 6 months worth, which is what they can do without getting charged. The issue is 5 GBP per a month has been getting paid to them over a couple of years as a double payment, so they have to go back quite far to do a refund.

The subscription was paid from my Amex charge card - so I think with Amex there's no time limit for a transaction chargeback.

I'm going to suggest they don't try to pass these charges onto me, otherwise, I will start a chargeback because legally no service was received for payment (which is wasn't) and this will incur significantly higher cost to them.

Hi,

Is there a specific piece of legislation I can point them about trying to pass on charges/fees for an overpayment/refund?

I'm going to give them a chance, I'm not a stranger court and I want to show I gave them the opportunity to refund me in full without trying to pass on transaction costs and behaving reasonably should it come to that.

Thanks

Abe

FCA CONC Rules

unlawful penalty

and they