Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder imy0786 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Nov 2017

Default Marston bailiff at my door, regarding Court driving fine of £1100

On Thursday I had a Marston bailiff at my door, regarding Court driving fine of £1100, I explained to him that i cant pay in full, and he tile me that he is going to take goods away, I explained that I cant pay now and will pay instalments to sort this out, he then said he will go and get a magistrates court order to gain entry by force,

Today Sunday 26th November he called and said he has applied to the court for warrant to gain entry, and said he will take goods, i explained that the goods belong to my wife and she own the house, he told me that will make no difference at all and the case is criminal, how is a speeding fine criminal, he told me that it is not worth his while taking instalments,

i have tried to call the courts but they told me i need to deal with the bailiff directly, i called Marston they also told me that they cant do anything and i have to talk to the bailiff directly,

can anyone help and advice, I am willing to pay but cant in one payment

thank you

Basic Account Holder disgruntled2007 Novitiate

Cagger since : Jan 2007

Default Re: Marston bailiff at my door, regarding Court driving fine of £1100

Well, first off, how did it get to this stage?

Can you provide some history, please....

Basic Account Holder imy0786 Novitiate

Cagger since : Nov 2017

Default Re: Marston bailiff at my door, regarding Court driving fine of £1100

HIi,

I had got a speeding fine and disclose driver identity,

i work away a lot and at that time was not in the UK for several month,

the courts issued a fine and penalty points,

`I got a letter from the bailiff and tried to make a arrangement, they refused and then sent a bailiff over

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2012

Default Re: Marston bailiff at my door, regarding Court driving fine of £1100

Magistrates fine. They CAN force entry into private or commercial property wether owned or rented. Makes no difference.

Speeding is a criminal offence.
    It is known as a decriminalised criminal offence and is normally delt with by the way of fixed penalty.

Your saying your wife's goods.. Makes no difference as you, through the marriageicon, have a financial interest in all assets within the property. Joint and severablly liable.

The courts will refer you back to the EA as a warrant has been issued for non payment of a magistrates fine, unless proper procedures have not been followed.

You need to pay a big chunk off of this quickly to maybe get the chance of installments. But the EA does not have to accept.

Forced entry into your property is rare but it does happen.

You could pay the courts directly but the court will forward all the payments to Marstons as they hold the warrant.
    The fees are also payable for enforcement costs. The fees are set in legislation.

Please remember that non payment of a magistrates fine is a criminal offence on its own and if you ignore all this you could have a warrant of committal issued by the magistrates and you could be arrested.
    I would also check your driving license has not been revolked. Check online on the dvla website

Basic Account Holder disgruntled2007 Novitiate

Cagger since : Jan 2007

Quote Originally Posted by imy0786 View Post
    HIi,

i work away a lot and at that time was not in the UK for several month,

the courts issued a fine and penalty points,

`I got a letter from the bailiff and tried to make a arrangement, they refused and then sent a bailiff over
    Sadly that isnít a valid excuse.... I work away a lot.... you knew there was a fine coming and you ignored it. Itís come back to bite you.

Gold Account Holder Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice's Avatar

Cagger since : Apr 2012

Default Re:  Marston bailiff at my door, regarding Court driving fine of £1100

Quote Originally Posted by imy0786 View Post

i work away a lot and at that time, was not in the UK for several month, the courts issued a fine and penalty points,
    The amount of the fine is very hefty and this because you have been fined for speeding AND for failing to provide the identity of the driver. It's also more than it should be because, as you had failed to respond to the summons to plead guilty, you have not been able to benefit from the one third discount (awarded by the court when an early guilty plea is entered).

When you returned back to the UK and discovered paperwork from the court in connection with this fine, you really should have contacted the court at that time to make an appointment for a Section 14 Statutory Declaration. Did you speak with the court?

When was this fine issued?

Gold Account Holder Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice Authoritative Bailiff Advice's Avatar

Default Re:  Marston bailiff at my door, regarding Court driving fine of £1100

Quote Originally Posted by Bailiff Advice View Post

When you returned back to the UK and discovered paperwork from the court in connection with this fine, you really should have contacted the court at that time to make an appointment for a Section 14 Statutory Declaration. Did you speak with the court?
    I have made endless posts on this forum over the past couple of years about the steps that will be required if a application is to be made for a Section 14 Statutory Declaration. In this respect, I have urged the public many times to ignore internet reports advising that a Section 14 Statutory Declaration can somehow be made by simply sending a copy of the completed Statutory Declaration to the court by Recorded Delivery. This is an internet myth that is hopelessly inaccurate.

Although a Section 14 Statutory Declaration is provided for under the Magistrates Court Act 1980, it is important to realise that the actual procedure for the making of a Section 14 Statutory Declaration is outlined under Criminal Procedure Rules and in this respect amendments were made to the Criminal Procedure Rules approx 2 years ago. The actual procedure is outlined in the following post.

If you had no knowledge of the court fine, then you can submit a Section 14 Statutory Declaration to the Magistrates Court. The applicable legislation is Section 14 of the Magistrates Court Act 1980. Once accepted, the warrant of control will be revoked and the original conviction rendered void. It is important to be aware that a Statutory Declaration will not cancel the initial charge against you.

Is there a time limit to file a Statutory Declaration?

Yes there is. An application for a statutory declaration must be made within 21 days of you becoming aware of the court fine or conviction. In most cases, this period of time would be from the date that you received a lettericon or a personal visit from a bailiff/enforcement agent.

It is possible to make a statutory declaration after a period of 21 days but in such cases, you will be required to outline the reason for the delay. The Magistrate or Fines Officer will consider the reason given and may or may not, accept your Statutory Declaration.

It needs to be stressed that a Section 14 Statutory Declaration is a very important application and great care needs to be taken with the relevant documentation.

How do I find out which court to apply to for a Statutory Declaration?

On the Notice of Enforcement it should state the relevant HMCTS region or court that are responsible for issuing the warrant. If this information is not provided, then you should telephone the relevant enforcement company for further details.

Can I send my Statutory Declaration to the court by post?

Although legislation under Section 14 of the Magistrate’s Courts Act 1980 provides that a sworn statutory declaration can be sent to the Magistrate’s Court by recorded delivery, there have been many amendments to the Act which have changed the way in which Statutory Declarations are dealt with in the Magistrates Courts. The position now is that all Magistrate’s Courts insist that an appointment is made for you to attend court in person

The Magistrate Court want me to attend the Statutory Declaration hearing in person.

It is important to be aware that a Section 14 Statutory Declaration will revoke the conviction against you, but it will not affect the original charge in any way. Accordingly, the way in which the Magistrates Courts address Section 14 Statutory Declarations underwent significant changes approx 2 years ago. The position now, is that the court must re-hear the case against you as soon as possible and in almost all cases, this will be done at the same time as the court consider your Section 14 Statutory Declaration. It is vitally important that you attend the hearing.

What will happen at the Statutory Declaration hearing?

This depends on whether you had advised the court of your intention to plead guilty or not guilty to the initial charge against you. The Magistrate will first consider your Statutory Declaration and, if you had indicated your intention to plead guilty, the case against you will be heard at the same time. A guilty plea should attract a one third reduction in the new fine.

Your income will be taken into consideration when setting the level of fine. In this respect, you will be required to complete a Means Enquiry Form/Statement of Means ( MC100).

I want to plead ‘not guilty’ to the offence.

If you wish to plead not guilty to the initial charge, the court must re-list the case for a new trial as soon as possible.

If your conviction had been for using a TV without a valid licence, then in almost most cases, a ‘not guilty’ plea would not be applicable.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate

Bailiff advice, when you cut copy paste will you adjust it so your columns are not 3 words wide.

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2009

You said this on another thread, SB.

Are you viewing on a phone, because both threads look OK to me.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate

Yes I am, its only bailiffs advice posts that do it when they copy past info into their posts.
    It doesn't happen for any other user on here. Bug perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbush View Post
    Yes I am, its only bailiffs advice posts that do it when they copy past info into their posts.
    It doesn't happen for any other user on here. Bug perhaps?
    I can also read the posts fine as well. Can you tell me whether you have difficulty reading all the posts that I have made on this thread (post numbers 6, 7 and 8)?

I suspect that the problem may only be in relation to post 8 as that is the one where I have intended each separate heading.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate

The post posted at 20.21 yesterday.
    It might be my phone.

Site Team The Consumer Action Group Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch Highly authoritative Andyorch's Avatar

Cagger since : Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbush View Post
    The post posted at 20.21 yesterday.
    It might be my phone.
    Try it now.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    sgtbush Novitiate

Quote Originally Posted by Andyorch View Post
    Try it now.

Yes that's sorted it, what was the problem? My phone I suspect

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

three indents in a row on the same line shelia
    now removed

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details