• Tweets

• I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know it's not clever but I was chosen to have a random check and they found items not scanned so needed a full scan.

Went to a till and put my shopping up with obviously extras but left some clothes in a bag.

They took a copy if the receipt.

I was racked with guilt so 30 mins later went back and paid for clothes.

What will happen Now?

Will they check cctv as they have my club card and account details?

I'm totally fretting that the police will come knocking on my door!

I paid for all the items in my bag just worried about the clothes Now!

TIA

We probably need to hear from someone with expertise in 'retail loss prevention" (ideally with knowledge of their procedures). (I don't mean RLP, the firm, you can safely ignore them!).

The key point that stands out for me is that "they took a copy of the receipt", as I've never had that happen to me whenever I've had a 'random rescan' (from a number of retailers,), as this may suggest this was flagged for 'loss prevention', rather than the routine rescan only.

One can argue that the initial discrepancy between what was scanned and what was in the bag was due to an error,

not due to fraud by false representation / theft, but if it was then shown that you left clothes in a bag,

you'd have to explain that, and why both weren't deliberate.

The fact that you paid for the clothes later is good for mitigation,

but doesn't stop you having committed the offence(s),

if they were deliberate or a court finds they were dishonest,

as the offence would have been committed at the time,

and doesn't get 'cancelled out' by you later paying (only mitigated!).

Have you done this before?.

The reason I'm asking is that if you were already on the 'radar' for loss prevention they might have been watching you on CCTV

- if so, they can refer the evidence to the police, and the police might then come looking for you.

If you haven't done this before then they again might be able to convince the police this was deliberate, but it it less clear.

They might just "keep an eye on you" in future.

Alternatively, this might all just be by chance, but the "they took a copy of the receipt" is a worrying factor.

Either way, don't do it again!. If you 'get lucky' this time, you may not be so lucky if you chance your arm again.

Hi and welcome to CAG

I take it that this is Tesco.

Your original attempt was to steal but common sense overtook your urge so as I see it, all the goods have been paid for.

I doubt anything will come of this and certainly no police involvement as they are far too busy to bother with small items.

If you did raise suspicions then they may just view the CCTV and act accordingly but I doubt anyone will have the time to view them. Yes, they could check the times of visit by your clubcard but at the end of the day, you did (eventually) pay for it all.

As I said, no police but if Tesco did do checks, you may find out the next time you visit. Doubtful but you never know.

If you get any letters through the post, keep them safe and come here for help.

The only thing you must do is think why you did what you did. Any underlying issues?

Put this into perspective. What you did was wrong BUT you did put it right. No harm, no foul just don't do it again.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Put this into perspective. What you did was wrong BUT you did put it right. No harm, no foul just don't do it again.

Yes it I wrong but only put right AFTER checks.

If no checks took place would it of been "put right"

The offence was still committed.

Are their underlying issues or problems that need to be addressed?

If you think its a possibility then I would have a chat with your GP.

As previously stated tho, RLP letters can be ignored.

The offence(s) was/were committed if there was dishonest intent.

The fact that the initial attempted theft / fraud by false representation was prevented by the rescan doesn’t undo the previous crime.

The fact the clothes were paid for 30 minutes later doesn’t mean the theft of those clothes didn’t occur : only paying for them at the time, not 30 minutes later when conscience / realisation they might have been monitored kicks in.

Remorse / paying afterwards is mitigation, not a defence or shield from prosecution.

I really wouldn't worry, it's paid for now.

Besides they don't have the time to trawl through all of the footage to pick you out and follow you through the whole visit, they would need to have watched you select the item, conceal it, have continuous observation, make no attempt to pay and then leave the store.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but it might be something worth talking to your doctor about.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I know it was wrong.

I always self scan

never had to have a total re scan before just the 8 or so items and all has been fine.

This is the very first time.

I think she wanted to check the amount I paid to the amount scanned through.

I had a printer which scanned as I went out

security guard checked me and my receipt and sent me on my way.

I'm totally mortified and I will NEVER do it again trust me.

I've not slept or eaten since.

Not sure whether to go back in tomorrow to get my daughter's cooking ingredients or just stay away!

I even contemplated going in today to ask if anything was going to be done!

Not sure why had a year of cancer scare,

diagnosed with fibromyalgia,

father died,

cat died

and aunty died!

No excuses I shouldn't have done it!

If you are “in their sights” going back, and behaving won’t change anything ; and if you aren’t, you are (equally) fine.

So, fine to go back for cooking ingredients : just be extra careful to scan everything correctly.

Just going off on a little tangent here but don't self scan.use a normal checkout and it will avoid all issues..

I hate self scan. I wont use it because supermarkets make enough money and by using self scan it stops them.employing cashiers.

If self scan said " 10% off the bottom line bill as we dont have to employ anyone" I still wouldn't use them

Not sure if use scan as you shop ever again if I'm honest!

Might pop in just to check as I'm always popping in and out for stuff.

Will get ingredients and go to a till.

If they've taken things further I'm sure they'll say something surely.

Mostly worried someone will come to the house!

Would rather they said something in store actually

then I would know where I stand.

It's the fear of the unknown.

Edited by Twinmummy26

no one will ever come to your home..

they are not bailiffs but powerless fleecers

ignore RLP

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

oh and I would be saying anything to anyone

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can't eat or sleep. In constant state of anxiety! I'm already on amytriptolyn and still feel awful! Every car that goes past I worry.

Would be just good to know if the police are liable to come knocking!

Hello there.

Nobody has said that the police will come knocking, it isn't how it works.

I think the one piece of advice you might consider is talking to your GP about this in case there is a medical or mental reason why you shoplifted. We see a lot of people who have background reasons for what they do. Being a new mum isn't easy, please take what help you can and don't over analyse what's happening. I know you've had a tough time, we've all been through that, but you'll get through this.

Hugs, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm not sure how anything works!

I thought they can report to police and they'll have to come to my house for a chat rather than the store.

There's not much information if this has happened before to anyone.

When I went back in to pay for the items no-one came up to me.

Even went to the checkouts where the lady was who took the duplicate receipt just to see if she'd say anything.

All done

End of

Forget about it!!

and they

The key point that stands out for me is that "they took a copy of the receipt", as I've never had that happen to me whenever I've had a 'random rescan' (from a number of retailers,), as this may suggest this was flagged for 'loss prevention', rather than the routine rescan only.

Have you done this before?.

The reason I'm asking is that if you were already on the 'radar' for loss prevention they might have been watching you on CCTV

- if so, they can refer the evidence to the police, and the police might then come looking for you.

Either way, don't do it again!. If you 'get lucky' this time, you may not be so lucky if you chance your arm again.

I’ve checked with a friend who worked for Tesco with responsibility including loss prevention.

The receipt might have been copied to pass to loss prevention for future attention OR for “stats” (“look at this example of how much we’ve saved by intervention”).

It is very unusual for Tesco to “build a case” against an individual and not call the police at the time once they have enough evidence. If the person wasn’t detained by loss prevention (or, at least, an attempt to detain them!) and the police weren’t called at the time : it is unlikely they’ll take it to the police.

So, either you go back to the store, and provided you don’t reoffend you'll hear nothing more OR you go back and they’ll tell you they are banning you.

Of course, if you go back and reoffend; they may well stop you and call the police.

Thank you BazzaS!

Thank you for asking your friend. Think I might leave it a while to go into the store again! I may just do an online shop to use my vouchers.

I'm never ever going to it ever again trust me just go to normal checkout!

Edited by Twinmummy26

go to a proper till.

I never use self scan,

I think they are immoral and bad for business

but the big stores have calculated that the savings on staff versus the extra losses make them worthwhile.

I could also put a list of things like

3 lots of surgery in 2 months,

illnesses, deaths etc

I dont use any of this to mitigate shoplifting becasue I dont do it,

never have and never will.

From your opening post it was quite a deliberate act

so you wont get any sympathy from me

but as the store seems to have dealt with things how they wish to

then it is very unlikley that anything will ever come from it.

Hopefully this has had the effect of putting you and the correct path from now on.

If you are “in their sights” going back, and behaving won’t change anything ; and if you aren’t, you are (equally) fine.

So, fine to go back for cooking ingredients : just be extra careful to scan everything correctly.

There is also the fact that Tesco can ban anyone they feel like. Stores operate as private space but allow the public to enter. This permission can be removed at any time for anyone and for any (or no) reason.

Having read what you are going through, it's easy for me to understand that things happen with no reason.

You have no excuse for stealing BUT there are reasons why. It is down to you to find out what they are and a chat to your GP (in confidence) is a must. They have heard it all before and could give you better advice than we ever could and possibly a short course of happy pills. Stress can cause no end of hormone and serotonin level to drop which cause loads of problems.

In the meantime, go back to Tesco. I doubt that there will be any issue but be prepared 'just in case' (highly unlikely) Try to gets things into perspective if you can. What you did was wrong but you put it right. While the intent was there, remorse got to you and you realised what you did was wrong and you went back to put things right.

Police! Nah!. They rarely get involved with this unless you are a persistent offender which you're not.

Civil Recovery. Unlikely but you can never tell with business. If that does happen, we are well equipped to deal with them.

In other words, nothing major is going to happen. Try to de-stress, get some rest and try not to think of this SINGLE event. Over time, your feelings will change.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

^^ Completely agree. Tesco do not tend to involve police after the incident unless there has been a documented series of events. The incident 'may' have been logged on their reporting system to cross reference in the event of any future similar incidents to see if a pattern is developing. You would only be challenged on re entering the store if you tried to do the same again.

Probably best not to use self scan in future but force yourself to go through a manned checkout. Then there can be no doubt over your honesty and no temptation for you to steal unless you are silly enough to hide items in your trolley and not pay

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!