DWP claiming I owe them £11k in overpayment of income support from 16 years ago! They've applied for DEA! Help!

nikkikitch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

DEA - Guide for employers may be read/downloaded from this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/direct-earnings-attachments-an-employers-guide

It seems that a company has no option but to comply with a DEA notice, no questions asked, or face a stiff fine.

Subject Access Request forms may be completed/downloaded on/from this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/subject-access-request-form

Guidance on how to go about making the request is provided.

OK thanks, I think I probably do need legal advice, I can't really afford a solicitor though!

Seen as its a request for repayment of around 11k and if you, as the company, do no comply with a DEA order could face fines, can you not afford to speak to a solicitor

Hi

When I was at university as a single mum, I claimed income support, which you're entitled to do. This was back in 2001-2004!

The DWP have contacted me a couple of times over the years saying I fraudulently claimed and didn't declare I was a student. I absolutely did and in any case I would've still been allowed to get income support.

They have now written to me to say they have asked my employer to commence deductions from my earnings. The debt is over £11,000!

My understanding is that a debt becomes statute barred after 6 years so are they allowed to take this form of action? Ive appealed their decision twice over the years and they've dismissed it, the last time they didn't even look in to it, my bet is because they don't have the paperwork anymore!?

I dont actually owe them anything, it clearly says in law that you can claim income support if a student and a single parent so I don't understand it!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Are you a micro business (fewer than 10 employees)? If so you do not have to comply with the DEA.

http://www.learnpayroll.co.uk/index.php/news/news/item/11690-direct-earnings-attachments-4

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.

Is that link current as it's almost 6 years old and the official government link has a lot of revisions

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Is that link current as it's almost 6 years old and the official government link has a lot of revisions

Relevant legislation, see Schedule 1

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/384/pdfs/uksi_20130384_en.pdf

It would seem your business is exempt if it was a micro business before 08/04/2013 and still has fewer than 10 employees or was a new business formed between 08/04/2013 and 31/03/2014.

Nice find G G

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

My above link doesn't work so try this:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/384/contents/made

There's also a formula for calculating your number of employees.

For example, you could in fact employee 50 people whose total contracted weekly hours are 360. For the purposes of this legislation that would equate to 9.6 employees.

don't forget to get the free online sar running too on their site

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ahh just a thought, I set up my business in 2012 as a sole trader so before the law changed, but then became a limited company in January this year. Does that mean I'm classed as a new business and wouldnt be exempt? Its still exactly the same business.