Council impounded car, now it's been seized by car finance company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a really complicated situation and just don't know what my options are.

Ive had an ongoing issue with my local council and parking tickets and am involved in a stage 2 complaint with next stage being legal action.

I received a number of parking tickets even though I had paid for parking using the relevant app.

These tickets have built up and with bailiff charges were over £2000!

I appealed the tickets and never got a response

then my car was clamped and towed and the council have refused to release it even though I have provided evidence that I have paid.

They are now not responding to me at all so I have to take legal action.

They have had my car for two months and the additional travel costs have crippled me.

I was made redundant

have had a bit of a struggle financially on top of that.

I informed my car finance company of this and got behind by two payments

told them I would be able to clear the balance by end of October/beginning of November.

I rang to pay my arrears and have been told my account has been passed to a debt collection company!

I wanted to hand the car back in December as I'm at the half way point of payments but they are now saying I've lost that right.

The extra travel costs I have incurred because the council seized my car have made it impossible to keep on top of the finance payments.

I have spoken to a couple of solicitors who haven't really known what to do about the council situation and now I'm stuck with an £8k debt and no car!

Please can someone help!

Thanks

The Finance Co would have seized your car from your drive if you had not made sufficient payments, irrespective of your problem with Council.

IMO it is not a complicated situation; if you cannot afford payments & legally maintain a car, the Finance Co have prob done you a favour.

Well no they haven't, I still have to pay the debt? The reason I couldn't afford it for a couple of months was because of the additional costs of travel. Now Im working again, I couldve afforded it, I just don't want the car anymore. They are saying I've lost my right to hand it back at the half way point.

Thread moved to Vehicle Finance and Vehicle Repossessions Forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

who is the finance company?

have they sent a default notice?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You failed to follow up on the parking tickets matter so that is why they wont consider the matter now.

Your best bet on this is to place all of your evidence of the council getting it wrong and failing to respond to your appeal to its Chief exec and tell them that you want to progress this to the Local Govt Ombudsman as soon as possible as they ahve the powers to order comensation for the wrongs done.

If you were wealthy you could just pay the bills and then sue them for breach of contract ( not allowing quiet enjoyment of the parking periods paid for) to recover not only what they had chatged you but the cost of the parking and your consequential costs as well.

The battle with finance house is a separate issue but I would suggest one of the reasons they are so keen to let you keep the car si they would have to pay the impound fees to get THEIR car back!

Edited by honeybee13
Paras