Damage to car in work car park

PIXeL_92
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Need some advice on what to do.

On the 10th Nov 2017 my car got damaged a small amount at work one large scrape down to the primer and a few smaller hair line scratches and some of the other drivers paint, I didn't notice it till I got home about 30 mins after it has happened.

The person involved didn't come back into the office to report it they just re adjusted the angle they came out of their space and carried on.

I was in work on the 11th Nov and checked the CCTV and it was captured on there, red car going into my drivers side wing matching up with the damage.

The person involved then went away with some people from work for a sales event and came back today (20th Nov) hasn't said anything, parked her car away from the car park (could be coincidence but this is the first time she has ever done this.)

I think she knows she has done it after me sending out a company wide email along with pictures of the damage sustained.

What can I do now, I have had some quotes and it will cost about £180-£220 depending on where I go, do I have to give her the quotes and ask her to pay for the damage along with a copy of the CCTV ? Then what happens if she refuses to pay or denies it even with the CCTV proving it.

Is it also a criminal offense to hit a car and then not report it?

Thanks in advance.

Does cctv show the reg? If so just pass it to your insurers. Let them do the work.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I'm not sure of the criminal status of this in a private car park. However, I would contact her by email – keep it very polite – and tell her that if she won't deal with you then you will have no choice but to involve the insurer, to report it to the police and also to tell your HR Department.

On the basis that she is at the same officers you, I would give her 24 hours and then go ahead and do exactly what you have promised you would do. Get two competing quotes for the work – and send them both to her. Whether or not she knew about it makes very little difference to you.

Car reg to insurance company. Tell them you have cctv footage of the incident.

The same rules apply to a private car park as public highway. You need insurance etc etc as it can be accessed by authorised people at the same time. Its not like a farmers field were the public could have access

Does cctv show the reg? If so just pass it to your insurers. Let them do the work.

I think it does, will need to double check. I would rather not get insurance involved if I don't have to due to my age I don't want to get penalized myself for any reason (I have been told that claiming even when you aren't at fault can also have a negative effect in some cases)

I'm not sure of the criminal status of this in a private car park. However, I would contact her by email – keep it very polite – and tell her that if she won't deal with you then you will have no choice but to involve the insurer, to report it to the police and also to tell your HR Department.

On the basis that she is at the same officers you, I would give her 24 hours and then go ahead and do exactly what you have promised you would do. Get two competing quotes for the work – and send them both to her. Whether or not she knew about it makes very little difference to you.

I did send a company wide email and she didn't reply to that but HR saw it and there is now a new procedure in place for damages starting from my case, I purposely attached the damage to the email as on the day there where only three red cars in the office and only one was parked near me and you could clearly see the red paint.

I think HR may speak to her at some point to make her aware what was witnessed on CCTV and then leave it to her to see if she approaches me, if she doesn't I will then email her with my intentions. It just makes me feel like the bad guy having to bring it up with her.

Car reg to insurance company. Tell them you have cctv footage of the incident.

The same rules apply to a private car park as public highway. You need insurance etc etc as it can be accessed by authorised people at the same time. Its not like a farmers field were the public could have access

As above would rather go to her directly first but if left with no option I will go via her insurance.

Thanks for all the replies.

Either you want reimbursement for nec repairs + increased Premiums/reduction in NCD by involving your Insurer or you don't.

So if I go through her insurance will this effect mine, not quite sure what you are saying. CCTV shows I am not at fault considering I was up two flights of stairs at the time.

Thanks

Sadly it almost certainly will affect you.

Insurers claim that if you've been in an accident that wasn't your fault, it somehow makes you more likely to be in another accident in future, so a non-fault claim will almost certainly increase your premium.

yep, they think it is something to do wit your driving style Stopping at red light is particularly dangerous accoringto stats.

Sadly it almost certainly will affect you.

Insurers claim that if you've been in an accident that wasn't your fault, it somehow makes you more likely to be in another accident in future, so a non-fault claim will almost certainly increase your premium.

incident not a police matter and nothing to do with employer either. Try asking her to pay up first, pointing out you have the evidence. If she is not agreeable then it becomes a matter for your insurer, who will make a meal out of it so it is in her interests to cough up.

incident not a police matter and nothing to do with employer either. Try asking her to pay up first, pointing out you have the evidence. If she is not agreeable then it becomes a matter for your insurer, who will make a meal out of it so it is in her interests to cough up.

Why not? Other driver has failed to give details and hasn’t reported to Police within the 24hrs...

RTA, IIRC...

Why not? Other driver has failed to give details and hasn’t reported to Police within the 24hrs...

RTA, IIRC...

It would depend on the status of the car park. If it is considered to be a 'public place', then the various sections of the Road Traffic Act would apply, if it was a private car park and not considered to be a 'public place', they would not.

I have now spoken with her, she didn't know she had hit it. It was very light damage but unfortunately it was over two panels so the initial thought of £150-£200 has now turned into £350-400 going from the quotes I have gotten so far as they need to do both panels.

I may suggest with it being Christmas etc I may ask her if she would find it easier to pay half this month and half next month.

Thanks for the help.