Driving after a seizure and DVLA still assessing fitness to drive

Jmac-25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

DVLA make the final decision regarding issuance / continuance or revocation of a licence, and the consultant may have been referring to that.

a) you really need to be sure that your insurers will provide cover, and not deny liability if you continue to drive. Your insurers may well say "it is up to DVLA and your doctors to advise you", though, and they'd be right!.

b) (As previously mentioned), you should recontact your consultant, and explain that while DVLA's DMG get to decide long-term regarding your fitness to drive, they can (and should!) be giving you interim advice based on DVLA's published guidelines for medical professionals.....

It seems like standard doctor speak. A bit like if you ask them how long you will live when you are terminally ill they will never say 6 months or whatever, they just say longer than you would have done if we hadnt had tried drug X. It is not for them to ban you from driving, they are right, that is the DVLA's right but they can tell you if in their opinion it is wise to drive whist this is being investigated. Just a different route to the same place.

(Off original-topic) but there are good reasons why doctors may not tell people “how long they’ve got”:

A) Some people they just might not know

B) Some people if told “you’ve got 6 months” will turn up their toes at 6 months exactly (& who knows if they might live longer if they weren’t expecting “well, my time is up now”)

C) Some people will spend all their cash in that 6 months, expecting not to live longer and then find they don’t have cash to live on!

Whilst not giving an exact time, if directly asked for an indication, many doctors dealing with life-limiting conditions will give people an expected range along the lines of “most people with your condition I expect to live for X-Y, though some may live longer.”

Have you notified your Insurer of your seizure yet?

I would not risk ANY driving until I had a definite decision from DVLA.

It's not just your life at risk.

No I haven't but I will.

The thing is - its my first seizure, it happened while I was half-asleep in bed, it was brief (though scary), I've had no symptoms since and the consultant said "I don't think you have epilepsy". So I'm really not concerned about having one in the car. If I was an epileptic and it happened before I would much more cautious.

So I'm more inclined to follow the guidance above which says "It is for the patient to assure themself that they are fit to drive". Although I have now sent the DVLA the form and will speak to my insurers this week.