style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Came home today to a letter shoved under the front door of the flat (I live in a house converted into self contained flats) from Equita.

White window envelope saying "urgent - for immediate attention notice of attendance" "private and confidential" and "by hand" with two boxes "left by" and "on" left blank.

Inside was a letter with correct name and address headed "delivered by hand" with client debt and court fee then a total outstanding scribbled in hand (which is £310 higher than the client debt).

The letter is undated and is an enforcement notice saying they called today to execute a Liability Order issued by their client (the debt is for Council Tax, the client is the local council) and saying they are authorised by the Court to remove goods/vehicle to satisfy the outstanding balance of ... the figure has been left blank.

The letter asks for contact "immediately by return" or they will re-attend.

It's signed off by an enforcement agent and gives a mobile number. The letter itself is not signed by hand.

What options do i have? The debt is due, I've had financial issues, I can't afford to pay the debt in one lump sum, I don't have goods to cover the debt, I don't own a car, I can't ask for a loan or help and I don't get paid for two weeks. Even then, my wage won't cover the whole debt.

Any help appreciated.

What options do i have? The debt is due, I've had financial issues, I can't afford to pay the debt in one lump sum, I don't have goods to cover the debt, I don't own a car, I can't ask for a loan or help and I don't get paid for two weeks. Even then, my wage won't cover the whole debt.

Any help appreciated.

The letter is a common one that is left to advise that an enforcement agent has visited. The fees are correct and consist of a Compliance fee of £75 and an enforcement fee of £235.

Before getting to this stage (of a personal visit and the debt increasing by £235), you should have received a letter from Equita to inform you that they had been instructed to enforce the Liability Order and to advise that you you have a set number of days in which to approach the company to settle the debt by way of a payment proposal. Such payment terms are not that generous (usually for approx 3-4 months). Did you get this letter?

If you have no goods outside of your home, then it is the enforcement agent who has a problem with enforcing the warrant. You will need to stress upon him that you are not refusing to pay but that you cannot pay the entire debt and would like to set up a payment arrangement.