Cabot chasing really very old personal loan - SB Letter sent - **WON SB'd**

MadMat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just started receiving threat-o-grams from Cabot about a really old debt from my younger and more stupid days!

This debt was defaulted on in the late 90's - I know as it was around the same time as I defaulted on several other debts and my flat and car were repossessed (yes I was really really stupid when I was younger)

I know it's statute barred, but what's the best way to get rid of them? preferably stopping them from passing it down the food chain to another DCA too. I've tried ignoring them, but they are now trying to call me daily while I work and it's becoming annoying.

TIA

Mat

You could just send them the statute barred letter, which says that under FCA Debt Collection guidelines that applies to them, that they should stop communications, once they are made aware of statute barred status. Obviously they will check this out and respond if they think the debt not SB.

I doubt such an old debt will be sold on. It will die at Cabot.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

have you moved from where this debt originated

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Are they calling you AT work? or just on your personal phone while you work?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

have you moved from where this debt originated

Yes, several times. Them going for a default CCJ at an old address is one of the concerns I have!

Are they calling you AT work? or just on your personal phone while you work?

I'm a taxi driver so both 😀😀

They are calling my mobile. No idea how they got hold of it.

Mat

Please look at CONC and especially https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?426148-CONC-7.15-Statute-barred-debts

You will see that if they are pursuing a statute barred debt then if you put them on notice that it is statute barred, they are expressly prohibited from continuing any action in relation to the debt.

I suggest that you write them immediately putting them on notice that you deny any debt but in any event any alleged it is statute barred. Quote the relevant rule from CONC and tell them that if they continue to take any action at all – whatsoever, that you will begin a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Send this recorded delivery. Also, if you can think of who the original creditors are then send them a copy as well and remind them that although they may have sold the debt on they have only sold the rights and they retain all the duties including duties under CONC.

Make sure you keep copy of the letter

send them our statute barred letter from the debt collection section of the library

that serves two purposes

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I do know who the original lender was, it's on the Cabot letters, but don't have any account numbers or other details would simply giving them my name and address at the time be enough?

SB letter will be going off to Cabot tomorrow (at work right now)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

Mat

just state cabots reference number, and tell them to take a running jump

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

how do they get hold of phone numbers?

they trawl the web looking for you then phone any number they find associated with you so an old landline number from a previous address for example.

They hope that someone will get sick of their pestering, think that it is important and give then enough information to trace you.

they may well have bothered your employer who then give them your mobile so they stop ringing him.

many years ago I had a legal dispute with my local council.

i spent time ringing about 1000 different extension numbers at the town hall and made a map of what the number was, where they worked, who their boss was etc and could then work out what area any number I didnt have a record for was located by reference to the blocks of numbers allocate to planning for example.

I then had the names of all the people and could then write and if they didnt respond be on the phone to the next desk/their boss and hector them.

It made it look like I knew a lot more than I actually did so eventually got what I wanted.

These companies will keep any snippet they get for ever so they can use it against you or some other poor sod that appears on their radar.

they wont care they have breached the DPA,

they know nothing will happen even if they admit it by a big banner hung behind an aeroplane.

I'm very careful with who has my mobile number - as I mainly work nights I don't want to be bothered while sleeping during the day time by marketing calls etc.

One thing that does come to mind - I had a letter from equifax telling me I was affected by their recent security breach - one of the items listed as accessed was my phone number!

Mat

If thats true madmat, perhaps ask them how they got your number. As you have never released it to them or the creditor.

If they got it via the breach, then they would be in extremely serious trouble.

SB Letter arrived with Cabot and was signed for this morning. They also woke me by calling from a number I've not previously seen to blacklist at 8am!! ( I worked till midnight last night :-x )

Mat

SB Letter arrived with Cabot and was signed for this morning. They also woke me by calling from a number I've not previously seen to blacklist at 8am!! ( I worked till midnight last night :-x )

Mat

Complain to Ofcom for the misuse of the telecomms network, and the FCA for their continued harassment.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...

Reply received from Cabot yesterday -

Dear MadMat We have decided to uphold your dispute and have made the decision to close your account . . . .blah blah blah

Really trying to make it sound as though they had a choice and are doing me a big favour

Thanks everyone who pitched in

Mat

so what was the debt all about?

and they

It was a very old personal loan - taken out when I was already up to my eyeballs in credit card debt.

I used it to pay off my over limit staff credit card and an unauthorised overdraft on a staff current account

- I worked for a high street bank at the time,

and in the 90's the rules on staff financial conduct were quite strict

- I was in danger of losing my job and grasping at straws!

It didn't help,

was already too far gone and ended up losing the job, and my flat was repossessed.

Mat

• dx100uk changed the title to Cabot chasing really very old personal loan - SB Letter sent - **WON SB'd**