BT £65 Charge For Equipment & Apparently Left Early

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My broadband contract with BT was recently about to end.

I called them and asked when my broadband contract would end and i was told 2nd Nov.

I arranged for Plusnet to take over my broadband.

I made the changeover day on the 3rd Nov and so that is one extra day.

Now i have my final bill from BT,

i cancelled my DD so the bill has not been paid.

It lists a charge for £65 and it says it is a charge because i left BT within the 12 months,

so they charge £65 for the equipment because i did not fulfil my contract.

I thought i did the right thing by making my change 1 day after my contract end date.

How can BT do this when its obvious i have been using their service for one year and one day.

I called there customer helpline,

i spoke to some Indian man who i struggled to understand,

he did not accept my argument

and told me i got charged for the equipment because i did not fulfil my one year contract with BT, he refused to refund me.

Im really confused by this,

i thought i was doing the right thing.

When i initially arranged my broadband with Plusnet i called BT to let them know i was moving,

they told me they already had been notified by Plusnet and i did not need to call them.

Plusnet do everything and that includes the cancelling of your BT account.

You dont get an option to close it yourself.

If i had been given an option to do it myself i would have found out about the stupid charges and i would have made other arrangements so that i could avoid the charges.

Guys what can i do here?

Hi fkofilee. Many thanks for your reply. Is emailing the CEO directly the best way to handle this situation? Im just wondering they might ignore me or tell me to use their complaints procedure.

I would say yes, as youve now left time to escalate so you can sort this out :)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

You will find you have to give 30 days notice to cancel any contract after that contract term has expired. Otherwise it will continue as a rolling contract

Sayng that there should not be any bill as you are always a month in advance

How does one give anyone notice, there is no step in signing up with Plusnet to give BT 30 days notice. Also BT said i do not need to call them as Plusnet takes care of everything. There is no option to notify BT and then do the switch after 30 days.

The bill itself was paid in advance, the outstanding balance is just due to the £65 fee. I would have been cheaper keeping the BT contract going for another month and avoiding the £65 charge.

Ok many thanks ;)