Fit4Less / Harlands **RESOLVED**

weird_dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I made the mistake of following the terms and conditions on the Fit4Less website:

fitness4less.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

"Monthly No Commitment Memberships – paid for via Direct Debit

To cancel your membership at any time, simply contact your bank and cancel the direct debit mandate that allows us to collect your monthly gym subscriptions."

I don't recall the exact date I cancelled the DD, but at some point I received a letter dated 18th of October from Harlands stating they are aware of my cancellation, if I would like to reinstate call them. Nowhere in the letter does it mention what will happen should I not wish to reinstate my membership and do not contact them.

Today I received a letter, dated 1st of November, asking for arrears and £20 admin fee, and now informing me that if I wish to cancel my membership I will need to also pay for another month as there is a 1 month notice period (which of course, there isn't).

Apparently, failure to do so will result in further action.

Clearly these guys are just trying it on. The thing is, how close to the line are they, have they crossed it?

Neither letter has a signature either, it's just printed and mailed.

I am now considering my response, possibly a slightly modified standard letter to include an administration fee for every future letter they make me deal with ;) I'm not sure how serious I am with that part yet, but at least I give them warning :)

powerless nerds

ignore them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As DX says, ignore the powerless nobody's, lodge a formal complaint with the gym in WRITING, when they fail to rectify your complaint, complain to the CMA about them and their irrelevant third party outfit.

Also get onto the gyms social media sites and embarrass them on there, let all of their customers know just how they can expect to be treated should they dare leave this gym.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Dave and welcome to CAG

You refer to the T&C's on the Fit4Less website and it says, " ........ simply contact your bank and cancel the direct debit mandate. "

But does it say anything about giving a month's notice when doing this ? I've had a good look at their websites and I found no T&C's at all despite searching for 15 mins.

Let us know and we can comment further .............

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for taking a look, I couldn't find anything either. I may attempt to use the new scanner at work today and upload the 2 letters for amusement. I'll try and get a response written too and post it here :)

Assuming these links work....

This is the first letter I received:

Followed yesterday by:

Interestingly, a google search does turn up this: (modified as I can't post links yet)

https join.f4l.com/tc.html

Which does mention a £20 admin fee among other things, but I couldn't find a way to get to that from the main site

This is the letter I am considering sending: (with reference numbers over on the right)

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re: my membership with Fit4Less

With regard to your letter dated 18 October 2017, as per the Terms and Conditions on the Fit4Less website:

fitness4less.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

"Monthly No Commitment Memberships – paid for via Direct Debit

To cancel your membership at any time, simply contact your bank and cancel the direct debit mandate that allows us to collect your monthly gym subscriptions."

With regard to your letter dated 1 November:

Since I terminated my contract as per the terms and conditions previously mentioned, I owe no such arrears and will not need to pay for a further 1 month cancellation notice period. The administration fee is unlawful and unenforceable and therefore will not be paid.

I hereby give you 14 days notice from the date of this letter to accept my offer to pay £0.00, after which my offer is revoked.

Yours sincerely,

can you please read upload

and post them up as a PDF please

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well as we all know, Charlatans can be ignored, just file their crayoning under ignore, hammer the gym's complaints procedure, and report them to the CMA, jump onto social media, and embarrass the gym on there too.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It appears I have made an error, the terms and conditions page I poseted is for Fitness4Less, but my Gym was Fit4Less, easy mistake to make when you're no longer familiar with the name (it's been a while since I've been, clearly :D )

However, I cannot find the terms and conditions by navigating their site. The first letter could have reminded me of the terms and conditions but did no such thing, therefore I assumed it was fine to just ignore it and get on with my life without Gym membership.

Should I offer to pay 1 months notice or refuse to pay anything at all?

Hi WD,

No matter about the T&C's you posted. We don't need to see anything more.

Write to Harlands saying :-

I cancelled the DD in accordance with the gym's T&C's and owe you nothing. If you make any further demand, I will make formal complaints about harassment.

I would also contact the gym saying :-

I cancelled as per your gym's T&C's but Harlands are now harassing me for more money.

Kindly tell them to cease contact immediately or your gym will be named as co-defendant in court action seeking compensation for harassment.

Send this to the gym or their head office and use typed letters for both, not emails.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Problem is the T&C's I posted were for a very similarly named Gym, not the one I'm actually with, I made an error. But, I can't actually find the T&C's for the correct one on their site, so I'm not so sure what the proper course of action is now.

Hi WD,

I understand that.

In post #5 above, I told you I could not see T&C's visible on the gym's website so I suggest you now rely on the gym's VISIBLE content.

Send the brief letters as I said in my last post and let us know what happens.

Until you get replies, do not respond to any demand from Harlands/CRS.

It DOESN'T matter, simply send them the letter slick posted.

You CAN write to Harlands, it's very very simple, they have no idea what T&C's the useless gym use.

Get the letter off before the weekend.

Hi WD,

There are T&C's - just not what we normally see for gym m/ships.

We normally see T&C's set out in full on web sites, or on the signed or ticked m/ship agreement or DD mandate.

In your case, we've seen no T&C's in the usual manner or the usual places. But we HAVE seen their clear statement on the website that you simply cancel the DD to cancel the m/ship. This is a term or condition, even though it's not set out in conventional T&C's.

Follow my advice and write to Harlands and the gym separately. Let us know how they reply.

I don't think you've understood the mistake I made, those T&C's I posted a link to was for the wrong Gym, 2 days ago a friend pointed this out to me, hence post #11, it's just a very similar name.

So, I can't really say I've followed the T&C's on the website, I thought I had but it was the wrong site :(

Hi WD,

Please confirm, what is the name of the gym you joined ?

If it was Fit4Less, my advice is right for you to follow !

Edited by slick132

It was Fit4Less (as opposed to Fitness4Less), but there isn't any visible T&C's on the website, so my stating that I followed the T&C's wouldn't be correct, a mistake I obviously made when I found the T&C's of the similarly named Gym by accident.

I apologise for all the confusion and really appreciate your patience in helping me. It really does put your head in a spin when you aren't used to dealing with this stuff....

Hi WD,

You're focusing on semantics when there's no need.

If you want to avoid saying " ......... the gym's T&C's ........"

Instead say, "I cancelled the DD in accordance with the gym's guidance on their website and owe you nothing."

Amend the letter to the gym in the same way and then send off both letters.

I thought It might be wise to post the text of the 2 letters I'm sending here:

To Harlands:

I cancelled the Direct-Debit in accordance with the gyms guidance on their website and owe you nothing. If you make any further demand, I will make formal complaints about harassment.

To Fit4Less:

I cancelled the Direct-Debit in accordance with your gyms guidance on the website but Harlands are now harassing me for more money.

Kindly tell them to cease contact immediately or your gym will be named co-defendant in court action seeking compensation for harassment.

Going back through the thread, I noticed that the original letter, at the bottom says "PDF created with pdfFactory trial version www.pdffactory.com", this is indeed at the bottom of the letter I received, not part of my scanning process, cheapskates!

Excellent !

Fire those off and keep the free Cert of Posting from the PO Counter for each letter.

Let us know what replies you get.