Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder rizraklaru Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Nov 2017

Default Advice please? Company paying less than minimum wage.

Hi
    - my wife recently applied to a local hotel for work as a housekeeper/cleaner.
    She now works full-time for the agency that supplies cleaners to that hotel and lots of other hotels.
    They pay only minimum wage but even so, I thought her wages were a little low considering how many hours she is working.

On checking her own record of hours worked against her payslips,
    i found that nothing tallies at all
    and after telling her to confront one of her bosses about it,
    she was told that although her payslip tells her she is paid by the hour,
    in fact she is paid by how many rooms she cleans.
    2 rooms = 1 hour.

However, each room can take her up to 45 minutes so I think that she is therefore being paid less than MW.

The company is quite big, i think, and employs a large number of Moldovan/Romanians (my wife is Romanian)
    i am concerned that they are exploiting a large number of people.

Now i am unsure about who to approach and of course,
    if I am right at all - as a large company, perhaps what they are doing is completely above board?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
    John

Follows
    Following

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since : Nov 2009

Default Re: Advice please? Company paying less than minimum wage.

Hello and welcome to CAGicon.

People should be along over the course of the day with advice for you, but as weekends are always quieter here, you may need to bear with us until the forum regulars can get here.

Best, HB

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp's Avatar

Cagger since : Aug 2010

What does her contract say?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

I’ve no idea, I’ll have to check when she finishes later.

Yesterday was the first time she found out she was getting paid per room and not per hour.

Her payslips however suggest an hourly rate.

Royalties Account Holder renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp's Avatar

If its an hourly rate, then thats what she gets paid. Not per room. Get that contract checked, as that will define how she gets paid.

If it was per room, then it would be considerably more if they did more rooms, or considerably less if the room was in a mess.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder numbers666 Informative numbers666 Informative numbers666 Informative numbers666 Informative

Cagger since : Nov 2011

My company which is a international hotel owner and operator utilise both of the biggest housekeeping agency suppliers in the UK- one of them has 3 letters in the name, the other ends in care.

Both pay an hourly rate to the staff.

For invoicing purposes to to us as the customer we are charged per room cleaned. It is expected that a worker cleans 2.2 rooms per hour. We are charged somewhere between 5.50 and 6.50 per room cleaned.

I would check the payslip and ensure that hours worked and pay do not fall below nlw.

Happy to assist further...

I have checked her contract-it states 7.50 per hour as I suspected. Where should I take this now?

I have asked my wife to check the hours she’s actually worked against what she’s been paid and go to somebody higher up in the company to ask to be paid properly.

She says she’s scared that she’ll lose her job.

I think that’s probably the case for everyone that works there.

Quote Originally Posted by numbers666 View Post
    My company which is a international hotel owner and operator utilise both of the biggest housekeeping agency suppliers in the UK- one of them has 3 letters in the name, the other ends in care.

Both pay an hourly rate to the staff.

For invoicing purposes to to us as the customer we are charged per room cleaned.

It is expected that a worker cleans 2.2 rooms per hour.

We are charged somewhere between 5.50 and 6.50 per room cleaned.

I would check the payslip and ensure that hours worked and pay do not fall below nlw.

Happy to assist further...
    Thanks very much for that input, it’s very helpful.

She doesn’t work for either of those companies though.

Your next step as numbers666 said is to work out the payslip against hours worked and ensure she isnt being paid less than the minimum wage.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder disgruntled2007 Novitiate

Cagger since : Jan 2007

OP, Don’t forget to deduct any unpaid breaks...

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details