Advice please? Company paying less than minimum wage.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

- my wife recently applied to a local hotel for work as a housekeeper/cleaner.

She now works full-time for the agency that supplies cleaners to that hotel and lots of other hotels.

They pay only minimum wage but even so, I thought her wages were a little low considering how many hours she is working.

On checking her own record of hours worked against her payslips,

i found that nothing tallies at all

and after telling her to confront one of her bosses about it,

she was told that although her payslip tells her she is paid by the hour,

in fact she is paid by how many rooms she cleans.

2 rooms = 1 hour.

However, each room can take her up to 45 minutes so I think that she is therefore being paid less than MW.

The company is quite big, i think, and employs a large number of Moldovan/Romanians (my wife is Romanian)

i am concerned that they are exploiting a large number of people.

Now i am unsure about who to approach and of course,

if I am right at all - as a large company, perhaps what they are doing is completely above board?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

John

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

What does her contract say?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If its an hourly rate, then thats what she gets paid. Not per room. Get that contract checked, as that will define how she gets paid.

If it was per room, then it would be considerably more if they did more rooms, or considerably less if the room was in a mess.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

My company which is a international hotel owner and operator utilise both of the biggest housekeeping agency suppliers in the UK- one of them has 3 letters in the name, the other ends in care.

Both pay an hourly rate to the staff.

For invoicing purposes to to us as the customer we are charged per room cleaned. It is expected that a worker cleans 2.2 rooms per hour. We are charged somewhere between 5.50 and 6.50 per room cleaned.

I would check the payslip and ensure that hours worked and pay do not fall below nlw.

Happy to assist further...

I have checked her contract-it states 7.50 per hour as I suspected. Where should I take this now?

I have asked my wife to check the hours she’s actually worked against what she’s been paid and go to somebody higher up in the company to ask to be paid properly.

She says she’s scared that she’ll lose her job.

I think that’s probably the case for everyone that works there.

My company which is a international hotel owner and operator utilise both of the biggest housekeeping agency suppliers in the UK- one of them has 3 letters in the name, the other ends in care.

Both pay an hourly rate to the staff.

For invoicing purposes to to us as the customer we are charged per room cleaned.

It is expected that a worker cleans 2.2 rooms per hour.

We are charged somewhere between 5.50 and 6.50 per room cleaned.

I would check the payslip and ensure that hours worked and pay do not fall below nlw.

Happy to assist further...

Thanks very much for that input, it’s very helpful.

She doesn’t work for either of those companies though.

Your next step as numbers666 said is to work out the payslip against hours worked and ensure she isnt being paid less than the minimum wage.