ID requirements: House Purchase

Pizzas
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been acting on my elderly mother's behalf in liaising with her solicitor with regard to a flat purchase for her.

Matters seem to have stalled because my mother cannot supply any of the requested ID documentation required by the solicitor.

The reason for this is that she is currently undergoing respite care after a fall.

When she left her own home it was an emergency and she gave all her personal documents to a neighbour for safe-keeping.

This neighbour has since gone on a prolonged overseas trip and I will not be able to get access to the file in the forerseable future.

Even though the solicitor has acted for my mother in the past and actually holds her will they are adamant that she has to produce the required documentation.

I do not want to get into an argument with the solicitor but are there any workarounds that I could put to them that would allow matters to progress?

I would be most grateful for any advice that is forthcoming.

Can she not request urgent copies of documents from whoever e.g Pension document, utility bill etc.

If everything had been destroyed in a fire for example, it must be possible to get hold of copies of important documents.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

unclebulgaria's suggestion seems the best solution. Does the solicitor give you a list of acceptable ID? Get copies of the documents that are easiest to obtain. For proof of address for example it should be easy to get a copy of this year's Council Tax Bill.

The solicitor is correct to ask for details. Under money laundering regulations the requirements keep getting more onerous. My solicitor told me that current regulations require him to go through the full ID checking process even though he had done it all just 18 months ago.

Thank you unclebulgaria and Ethel Street.

I am OK for the address document as my mother left behind a bank statement in her house.

It is the "Identity" document that is problematic.

None of the possible options listed on the Solicitor's List could be be quickly retrieved as duplicates and we are under some time pressure to proceed.

I do understand that the solicitor is only doing their job but I would have thought there were some workarounds for quirky cases such as this?

Post an urgent note through the neighbours letterbox just in case someone is regularly the house while they are away, asking them to contact you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Its usually a Passport that they require...and all that is required to suffice.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Bus pass.....Birth certificate.....benefit documents ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Just explain the situation to the Solicitors asking for their help.

Explain that if they can't assist, that if your Mum is in a position where her identity at 97 cannot be confirmed, then she cannot be indentified as the person responsible for the Solicitors bill when it is presented.

The Solicitors must have some helpline ( law society or other) they can phone when they are in this position. There is probably a process they can use to ensure they can do the work requested and still comply with the law.