Solar panels finance?

sturose
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys. If this is in the wrong section please can you move it to a more appropriate place. Thanks.

My brother unfortunately passed away nearly 2 weeks ago, he has a few debts including finance on solar panels that he had fitted to his house in 2012.

The loan was not secured on the property and it seems there was no life insurance cover with the loan from what we can see in the paperwork.

The house itself will have no profitable value as he had only taken out an interest only mortgage when he bought it so the full value of the original loan is still outstanding.

The house will also become the responsibility of his ex girlfriend because it was a joint mortgage with her even though they split in 2007 but he never got her name taken off because they couldn't trace her.

The issue is with the solar panels though.

My mother is dealing with everything but she is struggling with this issue.

She doesn't know what to do about the finance on them.

I've told her it's not her responsibility,

they cannot chase her for someone else's debt.

There was no guarantor,

the only name on the loan for the panels is my brother.

Where do we stand on this?

There isn't a huge sum of money left over.

I have suggested that the company that fitted the solar panels should have some sort of insurance themselves to cover situations such as these and they will just have to write the debt off.

My mother is afraid to contact the company though in case they start asking questions about my brothers personal financial situation which she is not in the right frame of mind to answer at the moment.

His financial situation isn't great either anyway.

He didn't have any great amount of savings I need to reassure my mother that this company will have no choice but to write it off.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

If there are no funds left in his estate to pay the debt then tough luck to them. Its a horrible phrase but the debt died with him if there are no funds. The executor should send a copy of the death certificate and inform them there are no funds. Then the company can go through their insurers.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thread moved to General Legal Issues.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

That's what I was thinking,

there is effectively no estate because the house is no longer anything to do with us,

there is no savings and I don't know where else any other money could come from.

I know he had a works pension scheme but as he was only 47 I can't see that being worth a fortune.

We have no idea yet what his personal financial situation will be worth.

He has a number of debts including credit cards but it's a nightmare trying to sort out who should get what.

I've told her she should just send each organisation a copy of the death certificate which we are picking up tomorrow and let them just sort it out themselves.

My mother just can't cope with all this so the sooner I get that sorted the sooner she can just get on with what's important such as arranging the funeral.

Was there no will ? are you going to be responsible for registering/dealing with the death ?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Understandable.......we all have to deal with this at some stage in our lives...and can be very stressful.

Register the death firstly and they will provide information (Weblink) for you to inform all the relevant Gov authorities of your brother death.

The next stage is to gather all the paperwork in connection to his financies.

Read the following link...this explains the process in attaining a legal grant of representation.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance

Regards

Andy

Not sure if that link is any use because the solicitor my mother spoke to stated that the house would automatically become the responsibility of his ex as she was jointly named on the mortgage.

No savings to speak about.

No other property of value except for personal possessions.

I'll see what's said tomorrow but I think I'm going to send them a copy of the death certificate and just see what is said. My mother feels compelled to pay even if she ends up out of pocket and that is not going to happen.

" My mother feels compelled to pay even if she ends up out of pocket and that is not going to happen."

You must not do that under any circumstances until the fiances and Grant of Representation have been sorted.

As regards the house....its who is named on the land Registry as Legal Owners not the Mortgage.

Was there any Life insurance attached to the Mortgage ?

" My mother feels compelled to pay even if she ends up out of pocket and that is not going to happen."

You must not do that under any circumstances until the fiances and Grant of Representation have been sorted.

As regards the house....its who is named on the land Registry as Legal Owners not the Mortgage.

That's the problem, I have no idea. This was advice given to my mother by a solicitor less than a week after he died so I don't know if she took the information in properly.

It's a nightmare to sort out and I'm just trying to ensure she doesn't try to arrange stuff that she has no clue about. Such as paying the unsecured debts!

How do we find out who is named on the land registry?

I have no idea about life insurance attached to the mortgage.

http://www.landregistry-service.com/

Why dont you take control and apply for the Grant as his Brother on behalf of your Mother.....tell your Mother to not do anything... you will deal with it all...its really quite simple.