How long is a PCN live for

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Very curious about how long a PCN can actually be live/valid for and if there's a certain cut off period where the regarding council have no right to ask for any payment anymore.

I have been disputing a PCN back and forth since last July 2016 and once again have had it brought back down to £65 at "the discretion" of said council employee.

Do I really need to pay this?

Can they keep pursuing me leading to court/bailiff action?

If I have to pay the £65 within 2 weeks I will but if I do not really need to of course I would like a way out of it.

Any info/clarification would be appreciated

Thanks

Yes but I've already gone through all of these stages with them over the past year and just now had the Order for recovery reduced back to an NtO again which I then appealed asking for a further discount which I've been given for the 2nd time in the year.

Just seems like they themselves have gotten lost with my PCN and forgot whats actually happened

Here is the latest letter from them if it helps at all understanding the scenario in addition to the above

Regards

camden letter.pdf

Here is the latest letter from them if it helps at all understanding the scenario in addition to the above

https://imgur.com/a/p63iB

Regards

It seems from the letter that you wanted to pay the discounted amount, which they have agreed to, even though they are under no obligation to do that.

Further they have also said that you can appeal to adjudication, but I assume that you wouldn't have offered to pay the discount if you had a good chance of the adjudicator allowing your appeal.

Without knowing the whys and wherefore of the original contravention, I'd pay the discount

Yes, Even though its a year + later do they still have the right to request payment?

Is there not a cut off date for when the PCN ceases to be live?

Not really, just because you have managed to spin it out for 15 months doesn't make enforcement invalid

I don't know how the adjudication process works and have no Idea if my appeal would be worthy enough.

I received the initial PCN because I pulled up in a residential bay to take a break from driving as I had been driving a while and my car battery died on me due to my old ish car,

Left it to find someone in the nearby shops with leads or anyone to help really

when I came back had been issued a ticket.

I explained my car battery's faulty nature to them over the past year within the disputes and even offered to show them the numerous times breakdown cover had to come and assist me. They disregarded this as my own ignorance.

To be honest I'm not sure why I've been offered a discounted price once again as they reduced it from an NtO a while ago as well to £65 and said they would not do it again...

that is the scenario

Not really, just because you have managed to spin it out for 15 months doesn't make enforcement invalid

Alrighty, Fair enough, I read somewhere its only enforceable for 6 months or so.

There is this exemption: A vehicle is prevented from moving by circumstances beyond the driver’s control, which could apply if a vehicle has broken down.

However, by your own admission, this had happened on 'numerous' occaisons, ie it was not a one off and something that you knew about but failed to fix, which is almost certainly why they rejected your reps.

It's unlikely to win at adjudication. My advice is still to pay the discount

moved to the local authority PCN forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What if I told them it was a one off, Would there be any possibility of getting out of this?

a) that would be a lie which at adjudication, is liable to a fine of up to £5000

b) you said that you have already told them, presumably in writing, that you offered to show them the numerous times Breakdown Coverlink3.gif had to come and assist me.

No wriggling here Just weighing up options considering I've done this much curious If I could completely right it off as every penny counts especially when it was out of your control initially.

Any way I could find out if an adjudicator would recommend cancellation? and you said the council can ignore it... Whats the point in an adjudicators decision?

Regards

To answer your original question, I believe the PCN is enforceable for seven years.

The council will not ignore the adjudicator. There'd be no point in having it, if either party could ignore the ruling. The council will do whatever the adjudicator directs.

Your letter above states that the council has not accepted a formal representation yet, so you are not in a position to appeal to the adjudictor. You would need to first let the new discount offer expire, then make a formal representation, then have it rejected - and then you can apply to the adjudicator.

I will say that the letter shows you already agreed to pay the discount after making failed reps before. If you now take this all the way, it will not reflect well on you, and the adjudicator may well decide that you are acting vexatiously. At the end of the day, it's taxpayers' money you are using up on this process, and it's costing 'us' (not me personally) more than the PCN itself. He shouldn't let that sway his decision of course, but it just doesn't make it look like a particularly genuine case.

As to the outcome, I would say it's the toss of a coin.

no there isnt because they served the NTO in time. You dragging it out for a century wont make it go away as all it does is keep it "live" as you put it so even the Limitations Act wont com into play.

Yes, Even though its a year + later do they still have the right to request payment?

Is there not a cut off date for when the PCN ceases to be live?