Cowboy gas engineer and problem landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We live in a rental property,

since moving in 2 years ago we’ve had multiple problems with our gas boiler.

Last year our boiler began ‘back firing’,

the landlord sent out their gas engineer who stated the gas valve had gone,

he came back a few days later and installed a new one,

once again recently the boiler began back firing,

another engineer came out from the same company,

told us that the valve had gone again and needed replacing.

Nothing more was said to us by the gas engineer, and he left.

Later the same evening our landlord barges into the house screaming

“what the hell are you doing tampering with our boiler,

we’ve been told you’ve put a new valve in the boiler yourselves”,

obviously we disputed this,

telling them the valve that was in the boiler is the one they had put in last year.

They then told us we were lying and verbally gave us notice to quit

Firstly,

are gas valves traceable to when and where they were bought

- I’m assuming the gas engineer has an account with wherever he got it from so it should hopefully be traceable to him?

Secondly I’ve reported the engineer to gas safe, how else does he need reporting

Thirdly are there any other ways to prove it was the engineer who replaced the valve?

Fourthly, the last engineer told the landlord our boiler was condemned and unsafe yet left it connected and switch on, shouldn’t it have been disconnected?

Any ideas of how we go forward.

moved you to the lettings forum

far more knowledgeable landlords etc here than a building trade forum.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Teddy12

Welcome to CAG and please be patient as it's the weekend it may be a bit quiet but I am sure caggers will be along to advise.

I know you say since moving in 2 yrs ago but could you clarify what type of tenancy agreement you had at the start and if this

was renewed (i.e. new ageement signed)

Have a wee look at this link:

Tenancy agreements: a guide for landlords (England and Wales): https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-agreements-a-guide-for-landlords/ending-a-tenancy

This Shelter Link: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/revenge_eviction_if_you_ask_for_repairs

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

A new one was signed after first year but this ran out in July since then we’ve had a rolling agreement that should we want to leave we give 1 months notice or if the want us to leave they give 3 months

Since this disagreement has happened we’ve done a bit of research and our deposit was never protected does this change our plan of action?

We are completely up to date with rent etc. So they have no reason to ask us to leave from this perspective.

Thanks

have they issued you with a notive to quit?

if not you ignore the rants and stay put and pay your rent when you are supposed to.

in the meanwhile you can set about giving your LL notice that you are suing for failing to protect your deposit

You also say landlord barged in, did they let thmselves in without giving you notice they were calling? explain exactly what occurred please.

we we’re given a section 21 today

When they came around they gave us no notice that they were coming, my son was heading out the door when they arrived so they came in as he went out. No one over 18 invited them in.

We are also now 2 weeks without heating or hot water due to the dodgy valve.

Yes but I was trying to help the OP given the situation that they are actually in rather than one they might/will probably be in. As things stand ll has served what purports to be a S21 but which isn't valid because the deposit in unprotected (if I understand things correctly)